RIP Bruno Sammartino | Syracusefan.com

RIP Bruno Sammartino

I wasn't even aware he wasn't doing well. This sucks

My Grandmother loved him. I can remember his matches against Gordo Chihuahua, who used to bite people all the time.

I remember watching him in the 80's during his last matches in WWF, he was a bear then at an older age

Very sad to hear. Have read a lot about him and have watched quite a bit that I've been able to dig up.

He really tried to get his son work, so bad he even went to Abrams UWF to work so his son could wrestle.

Great wrestler, greater guy.

Bruno Sammartino could sell out MSG like it was nobody's business. 187 times. That is just incredible. His popularity was so amazing.
Bruno Sammartino: 5 Reasons Why He's Truly WWE's Living Legend

He was an incredible draw, but that figure, directly from WWE, is total mythology. According to Dave Meltzer of Wrestling Observer, he did 160 matches at the Garden, headlined there 130 times, and legit sold out the Garden about 65 times. The current issue of the Observer has THE definitive article on Sammartino's career, and actually runs down EVERY SINGLE MATCH that Sammartino had at the Garden, along with where he was on the card (main event, second from top, etc.).

He was an incredible draw, but that figure, directly from WWE, is total mythology. According to Dave Meltzer of Wrestling Observer, he did 160 matches at the Garden, headlined there 130 times, and legit sold out the Garden about 65 times. The current issue of the Observer has THE definitive article on Sammartino's career, and actually runs down EVERY SINGLE MATCH that Sammartino had at the Garden, along with where he was on the card (main event, second from top, etc.).

Great story by Dave. One of his better ones I think

He really admired Bruno. If you're a subscriber, then you also know that they've posted all of their interviews with Bruno, most of which were well over an hour long each. Man, that story of how his mom saved that family during WW II is just incredible. No wonder Bruno spent time with her virtually every day after he retired. That had to have been one special woman.

What was the name of the wrestler from the 60s who wore SU gear in the ring? Think his first name was Dick.

What was the name of the wrestler from the 60s who wore SU gear in the ring? Think his first name was Dick.

Dick Beyer probably?

He really admired Bruno. If you're a subscriber, then you also know that they've posted all of their interviews with Bruno, most of which were well over an hour long each. Man, that story of how his mom saved that family during WW II is just incredible. No wonder Bruno spent time with her virtually every day after he retired. That had to have been one special woman.

Also the story about Bruno basically apologizing to Dave in 92. I had never heard all that before

Actually, you might also be referencing Mike Rotundo. He was part of a heel stable managed by Kevin Sullivan called The Varsity Squad. Rick Steiner wore his Michigan gear as part of that team.

Actually, you might also be referencing Mike Rotundo. He was part of a heel stable managed by Kevin Sullivan called The Varsity Squad. Rick Steiner wore his Michigan gear as part of that team.

Was thinking him, that was just late 80s so i wasnt sure

This seems like as good a place as any to say this... Irwin R Schyster was a terrible idea.

This seems like as good a place as any to say this... Irwin R Schyster was a terrible idea.

Hey, he got paid for doing that gimmick, so it wasn't all bad. But it sure did suck.

Rotundo has two sons in WWE. Bray Wyatt and Bo Dallas.

Not to get too off topic, but it seems there are a ton of WWE performers who are children of past superstars. Besides those two - Charlotte Flair, Randy Orton, Curtis Axel, Goldust, Natalya and The Usos come to mind. I’m sure I’m forgetting a bunch.

Not to get too off topic, but it seems there are a ton of WWE performers who are children of past superstars. Besides those two - Charlotte Flair, Randy Orton, Curtis Axel, Goldust, Natalya and The Usos come to mind. I’m sure I’m forgetting a bunch.

No doubt about it. It's the family business for those in it. Generation after generation. Doesn't always work out for the best. Check out the Von Erich sons...and David Sammartino.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom