RIP Coolio | Syracusefan.com

RIP Coolio

Former WWF wrestler Virgil with a touching and heartfelt tribute to his friend.

I was this close to posting this on the OT board but thought it might be a little too uh, risqué.

So, glad someone else did it!

]Everyone’s gonna bring up Fantasitc Voyage or Gangstas Paradise so I just want to give love for the theme song to “Kenan n Kel.”

Ain’t no Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew mystery,
It’s just Kenan and Kel in your vicinity.

He was even part of making a good song for Space Jam with “Hit Em High.”

*that was on our warm up CD in JV hoops. Couldn’t have songs with swearing and edited versions were hard to come by(these kids have it so easy now), so finding a song we liked by legit rappers with no swearing was a big deal for us, lol.

Last edited:
It’s interesting that Coolio’s first album came out when he was already over 30. He was older than the members of Run DMC and the Fat Boys and people from a way earlier era, and was about a decade older than most of his peers who were big in the mid 90s.

It’s interesting that Coolio’s first album came out when he was already over 30. He was older than the members of Run DMC and the Fat Boys and people from a way earlier era, and was about a decade older than most of his peers who were big in the mid 90s.

I thought he was much younger than 59.

'I'm 23 now, but will I live to see 24?' - Gangsta's Paradise ('95)

I thought he was much younger than 59.

'I'm 23 now, but will I live to see 24?' - Gangsta's Paradise ('95)
Right! I remember back in the day learning that he was much older and being shocked - because of that line!

He was actually like 32 when that song came out. Not sure if he wrote it years earlier, or was just writing from someone else’s perspective. Or maybe he just wanted an at the time youth obsessed industry that decided Rakim and Big Daddy Kane were “old” when they were like 25 years old, to think he was still young?

I wonder if he was ever asked about that?

Yes! That song was a monster! Huge hit and it’s probably like Coolio’s 3rd or 4th biggest?

I’ve seen some on social media who weren’t there or don’t know try to act like “Gangsta’s Paradise” was it. While 99.999999999% of musicians will never have a hit that big, he had a bunch of other ones too - and that’s just on a pop level.

And on a hip hop level, he had many others stil. This is one of his best IMO. Maybe not Ice Cube or Slick Rick level, but he was a really good storyteller IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom