RIP Denny Crum | Syracusefan.com

RIP Denny Crum

Met him outside of MSG after the 2009 BET. He was very gracious but that was easy because Louisville had just won. He told me that we had a great player in Jonny Flynn who had just won MVP for the losing team.

RIP

My memory of Denny Crum was listening to his radio show with former UK coach Joe B Hall. They had a great rapport with each other. Great show.

RIP Denny. Wow Hard to believe he was 86! I am obviously getting old.

JB had his first big win against Crum and the Cardinals in 1976. If I remember right I think Louisville was top 5 or top 10 at the time and we went into Freedom Hall and won a close one.
Hard to believe that JB just now retired, when he and Crum were more or less peers. Crum had a long career, and he retired 2 decades ago!

According to the rumor mill, Crum didn’t really retire voluntarily but was pushed out by Louisville’s AD Jurich (he had a rep) so he could snare Pitino. Crum’s dream was really to be head coach at UCLA where he had even taken a pay cut to be an ass’t there before heading to Louisville. (Crum had recruited Walton).

I remember my senior year in high school, we were beating the Cards big in the Dome and had 99 points with 40 seconds left. Crum told his team to stall the rest of the game so we couldn't get 100. Odd that I remember that but can't remember what I ate for dinner on Monday.

According to the rumor mill, Crum didn’t really retire voluntarily but was pushed out by Louisville’s AD Jurich (he had a rep) so he could snare Pitino. Crum’s dream was really to be head coach at UCLA where he had even taken a pay cut to be an ass’t there before heading to Louisville. UCLA sadly never offered him the head coaching job (Crum had recruited Walton).
It wasn’t a rumor. It was well documented that Jurich forced Crum into retirement. I posted a few times about this last winter when we were talking about if JB refused to retire what Wildhack could do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom