RIP Dikembe Mutombo | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Dikembe Mutombo

Rest in peace big fella. Always seemed like a great human on top of a great basketball player. One of the few NBA players my wife would recognize just because of the awesome (Geico?) commercial he had.

Have to copy over a hilarious story I came across on my Milwaukee Bucks forum:

My wife used to work in the same office building as him and ran into him once in a while. She said he was the nicest. She's only 5-feet tall - once they were in the elevator together and she looked at him and said, "You make me feel short." He replied, "You make me feel tall."

When he left the elevator, he turned around and told her to always eat her vegetables.

Certain types of cancer (e.g. pancreatic) are still a virtual death sentence, but huge improvements have been made in others. Things like prostate cancer, breast cancer, melanoma and leukemia have significantly higher survival rates than a generation ago. Obviously a lot of work still to be done.
My little sister was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in 2015, she's been powering through for almost a decade. There have been amazing advances and clinical trials keeping people alive until there are even more advances. Progress is being made.

Obviously not trying to take attention away from Dikembe, but here's a nice visual that shows the progress with various forms of cancer survival.

Screenshot 2024-09-30 152136.jpg