RIP Dolph Schayes | Syracusefan.com

RIP Dolph Schayes

SWC75

Bored Historian
Just announced on Bud and the Manchild. Had terminal cancer the last 6 months. Danny Schayes called Bud about it just now.

My grandfather used to tell me stories of playing pickup games with all the Nats players back in the 1950s. Said that Dolph is/was a wonderful person.

RIP. Dolph was a great player [OBVIOUSLY, he's a hall of famer], but indirectly was pretty good for SU--I hear his son was a pretty good player who had a lengthy NBA career, as well...

Sad news. Great player and fine man. RIP, Dolph. :(

The 1950's were the Glory Era of Syracuse sports than the iconic athletes were Dolph Schayes, Carmen Basilio and Jim Brown. We've got only one left...

He had to be one of the youngest players in the NCAA tourney at NYU, A NBA Legend The "Sputnik Shot"

I met and talked to him many times. He owned an apartment complex off of Erie Blvd E. A friend of mine lived there for a couple of years. Dolph would show up periodically to make sure everything was okay.

Classy guy, very bright...always friendly. Really enjoyed our informal chats. CNY was fortunate to have him in our community.

very sad. saw him play numerous times at the war memorial--and the allstar game there. he and greer were my favorite nats. another part of our city history passes---condolences to his family---god rest his soul---

He was the idol of my youth. As Jim McKechnie used to say... "Rudy ready"... invariably followed by a made free throw. He was absolutely the first basketball hero the city ever had, and brought the War Memorial to an absolute fever pitch with that set shot of his. That shot was so graceful, so pure, nothing like the slam dunk, physical type of beauty of today's game. It was softly released, two handed, with a high arc, and ending with a "swish." Could be wrong, but I think McKechnie originated that term with Dolph's shot in mind. Anyway, with Dolph being the leader of the hoops history of Syracuse, I think it would be a great idea to name one block of either Montgomery St. or State St., on the block of the War Memorial, "Dolph Schayes Way" in honor of one our own true sports heroes.

I worked at Tony's Shell station in DeWitt in the early 80's. He was a customer there and Danny was a JD classmate and good friend of Tony Jr. Dolph was a really, really nice gentleman and down to earth. RIP.

Nats held one game per year and a practice at Utica Memorial Auditorium back in the early 1960's. Saw him play a few tines

Johnny Kerr, Dave Gambee, Hal Greer, Larry Costello. Alex Hannum was the coach.

Great memories.
RIP big guy.

Met Dolph at Sam's Club years ago. He spent about an hour talking to my father and I about sports while we waited in the tire department. He was tickled to know I carried a basketball card of his son I found in the Dome in my wallet. I later had that card autographed by Danny who also enjoyed the story. I always wished I had Dolph sign that card when I got the chance to meet him. An all time legend. Top 50 NBA all time. RIP big man. Condolences to his friends and family.

The 1950's were the Glory Era of Syracuse sports than the iconic athletes were Dolph Schayes, Carmen Basilio and Jim Brown. We've got only one left...

Geez...can it be? Jim Brown is going to be 80 in February. I still remember when he threatened his comeback in the mid-1980's....seems like it wasn't that long ago. I still half expect to hear that he is mounting another comeback or kicking someone's a$$ somewhere.

I spoke with Dolph several times over the years, the first time when I was about 15. He was a gracious man who always had time to talk about basketball. Most people didn't think he wanted to be bothered, but he LOVED to talk to people. He will truly be missed.

RIP

Met Dolph at Sam's Club years ago. He spent about an hour talking to my father and I about sports while we waited in the tire department. He was tickled to know I carried a basketball card of his son I found in the Dome in my wallet. I later had that card autographed by Danny who also enjoyed the story. I always wished I had Dolph sign that card when I got the chance to meet him. An all time legend. Top 50 NBA all time. RIP big man. Condolences to his friends and family.

I call BS. Your dad never talked to anyone about sports for an hour. More like 2 hours. And I loved every minute of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom