RIP Dolph Schayes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Dolph Schayes

RIP

I met the man a couple of times way back. The first time was when my father took me there as a tag along (when I was about 5 or 6) in their Dewitt home to do some repair work. I asked Dolph and Danny (who was still several years from SU, but already crazily tall from my perspective) if you had to be tall to play basketball. They were quickly all "no no no, it's not like that..."

The second time was at a Chiefs game much later around 1980. He didn't recognize me, but gave me an autograph on a flimsy hot dog napkin, which was all I had. Class guy who took the relentless questions from the kinds of fans who dominate sites like this.

I have this vague memory of Dolph wanting to come out of the stands once to defend Danny on the court. Am I loopy or did something like that once happen?

Assuming that you and I are thinking about the same incident, it was at Villanova.

I think it was John Pinone who was fronting Danny. My memory is fuzzy but I think someone gave Danny an angled bounce pass. Danny catches it, goes up and scores. Ref blows whistle. I think it is and-1. Ref indicates foul on Schayes. Push off. I think it was also his fifth. Dolph comes storming down screaming bloody murder at the refs. Camera pans over to Dolph and announcer says that it is Dolph Schayes, Danny's father.

Went to quite a few Nats games including the only NBA Allstar game ever to be played here in Syracuse. Dolph was " The Man" that 30' set shot was deadly. Later in life he was a client and always a gentleman. RIP

Assuming that you and I are thinking about the same incident, it was at Villanova.

I think it was John Pinone who was fronting Danny. My memory is fuzzy but I think someone gave Danny an angled bounce pass. Danny catches it, goes up and scores. Ref blows whistle. I think it is and-1. Ref indicates foul on Schayes. Push off. I think it was also his fifth. Dolph comes storming down screaming bloody murder at the refs. Camera pans over to Dolph and announcer says that it is Dolph Schayes, Danny's father.

That sounds right. This would have been around '81 or '82? Maybe earlier?

My dad went to DeWitt Clinton HS with Dolph in the Bronx. I have his yearbook somewhere. I'll have to dig it out as Dolph is highly featured in the sports part of the yearbook.

I remember seeing Dolph when the Nats came to play the Celtics during the 1960-61 year I was at M.I.T. Dolph, Hal Greer, Larry Costello, Dick "Fall Back, Baby" Barnett . . . . All the greats of that era filtered through the Garden and I didn't want to miss any of them. Oscar, Elgin, Jerry, Wilt, Bob Petit and Cliff Hagan -- all were Bantha fodder for the Russell-era Celtics. Dolph's passing is sad, but at least for me the mention of him brings back fond memories.--VBOF

Went to quite a few Nats games including the only NBA Allstar game ever to be played here in Syracuse. Dolph was " The Man" that 30' set shot was deadly. Later in life he was a client and always a gentleman. RIP

I met and talked to him many times. He owned an apartment complex off of Erie Blvd E. A friend of mine lived there for a couple of years. Dolph would show up periodically to make sure everything was okay.

Classy guy, very bright...always friendly. Really enjoyed our informal chats. CNY was fortunate to have him in our community.

I met and talked to him briefly when I checked out an apartment or two about 7 or 8 years ago.

RIP

Not just a great player but NBA coach of the year in 1965-66 for the 76ers. How did ever manage to snag Wilt.

I remember seeing Dolph when the Nats came to play the Celtics during the 1960-61 year I was at M.I.T. Dolph, Hal Greer, Larry Costello, Dick "Fall Back, Baby" Barnett . . . . All the greats of that era filtered through the Garden and I didn't want to miss any of them. Oscar, Elgin, Jerry, Wilt, Bob Petit and Cliff Hagan -- all were Bantha fodder for the Russell-era Celtics. Dolph's passing is sad, but at least for me the mention of him brings back fond memories.--VBOF

As I'm reflecting some more on those games of old, some morning-after thoughts on the Nats-Celtics games and the players' styles that I used to mimic -- using a nerf ball of course because my hands were small:
  • Hal Greer used a mini-jump shot to shoot his free throws.
  • Dick Barnett kicked his feet up behind his knees when he shot his "Fall Back" shot.
  • Bob Cousey's 1/3-court push shot as he walked the ball up the court.
  • Sam Jones' bank shots.
  • Frank Ramsey's jumper was the opposite of Barnett's -- he'd spread his legs slightly and lean forward as he shot, trying to draw a foul.
  • And, of course, Bill Russell's "style" was the way he imposed his will on the game, usually ending with another Red Auerbach cigar.
Ah, the days. . . --VBOF

As I'm reflecting some more on those games of old, some morning-after thoughts on the Nats-Celtics games and the players' styles that I used to mimic -- using a nerf ball of course because my hands were small:
  • Dick Barnett kicked his feet up behind his knees when he shot his "Fall Back" shot.
  • Sam Jones' bank shots.
  • Frank Ramsey's jumper was the opposite of Barnett's -- he'd spread his legs slightly and lean forward as he shot, trying to draw a foul.
  • And, of course, Bill Russell's "style" was the way he imposed his will on the game, usually ending with another Red Auerbach cigar.
Ah, the days. . . --VBOF
Hal Greer's pull up in transition from the foul line was more accurate than a layup.

Where does Dolph fall amongst the all time sports figures associated with the City of Syracuse? Perhaps third behind Jim Brown and Boeheim?

I remember Dolph coming out on the court and going after a ref at an SU-Villanova game at the Palestra. This was when Danny was on the team. 'Nova got some home cookin' right at the end, enabling them to (almost literally) steal a game from the Orange. Often happened for the home team at the Palestra. My only thought was 'Wouldn't want to mess with that guy'. Oh, and 'Hope he gets his hands on that bleeping ref'.

• Sam Jones' bank shots.
Ah, the days. . . --VBOF
Like a lot of Kids back then I use to try and Mimick the Dick Barnett Jump Shot but just could never get it right lol

Where does Dolph fall amongst the all time sports figures associated with the City of Syracuse? Perhaps third behind Jim Brown and Boeheim?

Basilio has to be up there, too.

Pinone got all the calls. He could do no wrong as far as the refs were concerned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom