RIP Frank Maloney | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Frank Maloney

The Syracuse.com article in post #46 had a long editorial letter from a 1979 assistant coach who referenced "The Mutiny." Post #49 MSOrange asked about it and kuethestheman supplied information.

The 1959 team called for Maloney's ouster. I believe that was the mutiny Jerry Angelo referred to.

"I am an assistant football coach at Syracuse University. I’ve worked in this capacity for five years at Syracuse and feel qualified to speak out on the matter of the ’59 Team’s resolution and our other problems. I am making this statement since this is probably my “Last Hurrah”!

I’m not bitter at the ’59 mutiny nor at the boos and jeers of the crowd over the years.

I’m sure the ’59 team didn’t mean any harm. They were led, like sheep, to the slaughter. The administration knew of their intentions long before it hit the media and couldn’t (or wouldn’t) stop them — once again, letting someone else do their dirty work. They took advantage of their emotions, frustrations and their everlasting pride. Is nothing sacred with them? Shouldn’t they have known, with the results of their last conspiracy, that this type of action would lead to even more chaos and greater division among the alumni and the university community? Haven’t they learned that through this type action, they are forcing people to take sides and in the end — we’ll all be the losers? "

That was an interesting time, but no connection to Coach Maloney.
It's pretty clear that Maloney's recruiting suffered from SU's bad reputation among black prospects. The behaviors that led to this and the boycott itself were the cause.