RIP Frank Maloney | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Frank Maloney

I grew up around stories of my father's time on some of those Maloney-led Cuse teams. My father was just saying that he was speaking with another former player about Maloney only a couple of days ago. Maloney offering my dad a scholarship is the reason why I, and the rest of my family, are Cuse fans. Sad to hear of his passing.

I think Frank alienated some fans by changing the uniforms and if I remember right, he did not set up strong ties with the old coaching staff and alums, preferring to do things his way,

In retrospect, he made some great hires on his staff and did a lot of good things and one could make a good argument that he deserved to recruit with the dome in place a few years to have a fair chance to show what he could do with competitive facilities.

I think Jake was hired in 1978. He saw the bad relationships between the community and Frank and the lack of support with the former players and staff and decided, probably wisely, that we needed to go in a different direction. Syracuse was Frank’s first head coaching job. He was only 33 when he was hired. He probably made a few decisions he wished he could have chosen differently if he could do it over again. For instance, one of the first things Coach Mac did was allow Coach Schwartzwalder access to practices again,

By all accounts, he was a good man and I think his players really liked and respected him. RIP Frank.

all true. the dwi finished him off at su--in todays world it is nothing ---the coaches he had were great. he never got the time he needed--but--

You are correct here except for the race part for Maloney loved all of his players, black & white. Never sensed a race issue at all.
I think he was referring to the race problem before Frank got to Syracuse. That it was another thing that hindered recruiting. As a student of the university in the 70's, I would hear that from people back home and think, what are they talking about?

I was at SU in the waning Coach Ben years. First time I took those steps up past Archbold, I wondered what a correctional facility was doing on campus. It was the worst. And Ben really burned bridges with the (then) modern black athlete, especially during the protests that were happening at the time. If they thought for themselves, they weren't in tune with Ben, who had coached long past his expiration date.

In hindsight, Coach Maloney really punched above SU's weight as a coach. I will miss him. Best wishes to his family.

My boss played at Syracuse University for Ben Schwatzwalder for three years and Frank Maloney for one year. We have had many a conversation about his playing days at Syracuse and I can tell you that my boss absolutely loved Frank Maloney and has said to me that he wishes he had Maloney as a coach for all four years. I was a young teenager when Frank Maloney became the head coach at Syracuse and even then I realized what a tough job he had at Syracuse based on the the outdated facilities and the actual lack of support that the administration gave to the football program. RIP Coach Maloney, this is one life long Syracuse University Football Fan that appreciates all you did for Syracuse University Football. Orange Forever!!!!!!

I think he was referring to the race problem before Frank got to Syracuse. That it was another thing that hindered recruiting. As a student of the university in the 70's, I would hear that from people back home and think, what are they talking about?
Growing up in NJ, we didn’t hear much about the black athlete issues at SU. How bad was it and how were the teams/fan support in the early 70’s?

Growing up in NJ, we didn’t hear much about the black athlete issues at SU. How bad was it and how were the teams/fan support in the early 70’s?

I was on the Hill at that time. It was the height of both Vietnam War protests and civil rights protests. Ben was just out of touch with the times, many players, mostly black but some white, felt that way, and former Ben supporters like Jim Brown said so. And he was trying to be constructive.

To me, and I'm a football fan, SU football seemed sorta like an anachronism, more a chance for alumni to get together over cocktails than something that was an integral part of the student experience. Reading 'The Ol' Scout' Arnie Burdick in the SU papers only reinforced that sense. Everything was steeped in nostalgia for a time for which I had no memory. Gotta admit, it was a strange time.

Last edited:
I was on the Hill at that time. It was the height of both Vietnam War protests and civil rights protests. Ben was just out of touch with the times, many players, mostly black but some white, felt that way, and former Ben supporters like Jim Brown said so. And he was trying to be constructive.

To me, and I'm a football fan, SU football seemed sorta like an anachronism, more a chance for alumni to get together over cocktails than something that was an integral part of the student experience. Reading 'The Ol' Scout' Arnie Burdick in the SU papers only reinforced that sense. Everything was steeped in nostalgia for a time for which I had no memory. Gotta admit, it was a strange time.
I was there right after the Sports Illustrated story. I guess the black players were promised a black ass't coach and didn't get one. That was the final straw. there was a walk out of some sort. Ben stayed too long.

My first year at SU was Franks first year. I still have the Orange Pack bumper sticker: Frank Believes in SU Football. Recall first game vs Villanova. They kicked off and Hurley didn’t down it in the end zone. Recovered for a TD. Hurley was a great player despite frosh error. RIP coach.

I see Mike Rotunda listed in that pic. IRS the wrestler? Didn't know he played football.

IRS, Varsity Club with Scott Steiner! Bray Wyatt's Dad, Straight outta Newark Valley Via Owego

I was a freshman the year that the Dome opened and would get in early to see the pre-game warmups. I recall that Maloney had an obsession with timing the place kicking game (snap to kick) during the warmups. He would time them himself, every game...

I was in school at Carolina with during the last years of Coach Maloney. Saw SU play State at the old Carter-Finley Stadium (think the old grandstand at the NYS Fair). Everything said in this thread was fair.

If you put everything in perspective, he inherited a near impossible situation at a university that was looking for an excuse to drop football altogether. He breathed enough life into the program that SU endured. I think you can make a strong argument that we are here talking about the Power 5 version of SU Football in significant part due to the efforts of Coach Maloney.

Eternal rest grant onto him oh Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May the angels come out to greet him at the gates of the New Jerusalem. And may he be held in the palm of God's gentle hand until we all meet again.

Last edited:
I thought it was the dwi that finished him as well. I disagree that in today's world it is nothing. If anything, in todays world, I think it is worse.
Way worse today. Back then, DWIs were more rare, lacked the stigma that we have today, and frequently more secret.

Means nothing, but I wonder if Maloney was able to attend any of SU's "recent" games in Chicago against Northwestern? I hope he was and he enjoyed it.

That was the rumor but I never saw any evidence of that.

From a 1976 game program:

6-4 244#, he was HUGE back then.

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG