RIP Frank Robinson | Syracusefan.com

RIP Frank Robinson

F. Robby. One of my all time favorites. I have always felt that the black players who came up in the 50s and 60s never got the credit that they deserved. Obviously Jackie Robinson was the first but the ones that followed I believe were just as much trailblazers as Robinson and had to go through much of the same abuse.

What a tremendous ballplayer, what a career in baseball. Somehow, he always seems to get overlooked a bit when the greats are discussed, perhaps because he wasn't as flashy as some and simply carried himself with quiet dignity, but few were better. RIP, Frank.

I always viewed Willie Mays, Hank Aaron and Frank Robinson as a sort of triumvirate. Ernie Banks probably belongs in there, too but his prime was before my time and he wasn't an outfielder. Willie, Hank and Frank would be the starting National League outfield in the All-Star game for many years. top that!

Being a Cincinnati Red in 1956 must have been a lonely existence, being a black man in a sea of white faces.

Thanks SWC!
It’s funnyhow many people that live today know little of the celebrities of yesterday.
I was in an ENT office today and there was talk about a procedure that would have an unintended result of reshaping onesnose. The three other medical staff looked at me as if I was from another planet when I said “ well I hope I don’t look like Jimmy Durante!”.

Then again one was a young medical student, the other was a relatively young Asian surgeon, and the other was a young ENT doctor who definitely wasn’t born in the USA.

Maybe us old white geezers just don’t get it that America’s demographics have and are changing. But I think it’s great and maybe the change will continue to MAG!

Sad day as an Oriole fan.

I told my nine year old today, and he said “is that the guy that did so bad at Syracuse?”

“Wrong Robinson buddy.”

He was one of the baseball players I always admired.....

RIP

Frank played before my time but I'm a huge baseball history guy. I remember how many of these guys used to attend card shows in the area when I was growing up. At the time, I didn't (and couldn't) want to spend that much money on autographs. But now that we're losing so many of them, it would have been nice to have met some of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom