RIP Gordon Lightfoot | Syracusefan.com

RIP Gordon Lightfoot

I had a completely random [and unrelated to this] conversation two evening ago about Gordon Lightfoot, after hearing one of his songs. Crazy timing, considering I don't generally think about Gordon Lightfoot.

RIP, and ride that Carefree Highway.

Was glad to see him get his moment in the spotlight with 'Edmund Fitzgerald' and 'If You Could Read My Mind'. Loved his early Canadian folk stuff, which would be labeled Americana if he was, you know, American. Here's one of my faves:

Was glad to see him get his moment in the spotlight with 'Edmund Fitzgerald' and 'If You Could Read My Mind'. Loved his early Canadian folk stuff, which would be labeled Americana if he was, you know, American. Here's one of my faves:

'If You Could Read My Mind' is just devastatingly sad.
RIP Gordon

the Gordo is as canadien as a skunky molsen golden.

North Americana?

Rainy day people always seem to know when it's time to call
Rainy day people don't talk
They just listen till they've heard it all
Rainy day lovers don't lie when they tell you
They've been down like you
Rainy day people don't mind if you're cryin' a tear or two

RIP Gordo

He decided long ago never to walk in anyone's shadow!

Last edited:
My son (Navy) was telling me that he read the Coast Guard report on the Edmund Fitzgerald. Seems they had lengthened the ship by adding a piece in the middle. Then, it was overloaded by 10 tons. When the waves started lifting it and dropping it to the bottom of the swell, the welds couldn’t hold. Seems it sunk in about 4:00 minutes.

anyone remember clock radios ? i remember you would fall asleep to the edmund fitzgerald and when you woke up the next morning it was still playing.

"Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee..."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom