RIP Hank Aaron | Syracusefan.com

RIP Hank Aaron

Damn RIP to another all time great. It's just so crazy how easy it is to not realize how many giants of American history are in their 70s/80s and 90s and how many we are losing every year. They are timeless and as such we often forget that for many their time is coming to a close.

Legend wouldn't be giving him enough praise, all time sports great, and a great human being. Rip Hammerin Hank.

Very well said. Obviously one of the all time great players, but Hank wasn't afraid to talk about race issues also, even if it may be tough to hear. I was just reading his wikipedia page. I didn't realize how successful he was as a businessman after his playing days. Still the all time home run king in my book.

Very well said. Obviously one of the all time great players, but Hank wasn't afraid to talk about race issues also, even if it may be tough to hear. I was just reading his wikipedia page. I didn't realize how successful he was as a businessman after his playing days. Still the all time home run king in my book.
Mine too, sorry Barry, Hank did it the clean way.

This, this, this.

I can't find the source but i recall hearing or reading this anecdote some years back:

Hank hit the home run that clinched the 1957 pennant. The winds were swirling and the catcher told the pitcher to pitch to him because "Babe Ruth couldn't hit a home run out here". After Hank's ball went over the fence, the pitcher shouted at his catcher "I thought you said that Babe Ruth couldn't hit a home run out here!?!" The catcher shouted back to him, "That wasn't Babe Ruth. that was Hank Aaron"

Aaron shockingly was not a unanimous first ballot Hall of Famer. He received 97% (406/415) of the vote. Was there any rational reason for not voting for him beyond petty racism?

No rational reason but some voters go in with the agenda "if Babe Ruth or whoever isn't unanimous, then nobody should be unanimous" etc

Another thought: Hank hit #715 despite death threats, wondering if somebody was training a rifle on him when he was at the plate. He died in a week when we all watched a president being inaugurated and wondered the same thing.

You can't let the bad guys win.

Aaron shockingly was not a unanimous first ballot Hall of Famer. He received 97% (406/415) of the vote. Was there any rational reason for not voting for him beyond petty racism?
Joe DiMaggio didn't get voted in until his third year of eligibility.

Another thought: Hank hit #715 despite death threats, wondering if somebody was training a rifle on him when he was at the plate. He died in a week when we all watched a president being inaugurated and wondered the same thing.

You can't let the bad guys win.
Lol... what?

That's not bad for playing 23 years. They played two all-star games for a few years in the early 60s.
I kinda like the idea of two all star games.

One of the games each year should be a more low key game played on a field in Anytown, USA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom