RIP John Thompson | Syracusefan.com

RIP John Thompson

RIP - great coach, great rival
Never a fan but you had to really respect what he did with program and for an entire generation of young Black Americans. May he RIP. Unfortunately not a good week for the old BE. It's like a part of our youth is now gone.

Last edited:
I met his son at a Richmond-Georgetown game a couple years ago. Quality person and humble family guy who had spent some time playing pro ball, including a short stint with the Knicks. We talked about those classic SU-Georgetown days and he talked about the SU players that he had fun competing against. I've never really understood or agreed with some of the negative views shared on this board. Quality school and they achieved so much during those rivalry years that defined SU basketball.

That's too bad. Sympathies to the Thompson family and Hoya Nation. Heck of a coach who built a program and helped launch a conference. He fit the part perfectly for an evil empire, he even had the James Earl Jones/Darth Vader voice and embraced his role. He will be missed.

Syracuse/Georgetown is the big east. Big John added a true heel to the rivalry and the entire Big East. To do what he did at Georgetown is incredible.

John opened my eyes to what education really is and how you can educate any type of kid in college. I think what he tried to do at Georgetown is an example of giving any one an opportunity versus just kids from Georgetown Prep.

Met him a couple times at McDonough, he was a really nice guy and I liked him. In the context of the weird "sports hatred" I and thousands of other people had for him, his spirit was even more admirable. Sad to hear he's gone.

RIP Big John.

As a Syracuse fan, he was a guy you loved to hate. So many incredible games and moments over decades. An integral part of the rise and dominance of the Big East

He will be missed.

Condolences to his family, friends, former players, and all Georgetown alums & fans.

( PS - Georgetown still sucks )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom