RIP John Thompson | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

RIP John Thompson

My favorite JT memory - I was at a game (96 I think) and he and JB were talking with the ref. JT jokingly shoved Boeheim. The crowd roared and I screamed “Cmon Jimmy, you can take him!” Glad they weren’t actually fighting

Every SU fan watching stopped breathing for like 2 seconds until they realized he was joking.

Ali needed Frazier to reach his full greatness.

Without Larry and the Celtics, there would be no Magic and the Lakers.

Federer and Nadal needed each other to push themselves to be their best.

Without Dusty Rhodes, Flair and the Horsemen wouldn’t have been as cool as they were.

Without Big John and the Hoyas, we wouldn’t be who we are.

If Coach Boeheim and DC say good things about JT, then my hatred of all things GTown is matched with respect for him.

I can’t believe I never realized that Thompson played for the Celtics and has a couple rings.

1598906560659.jpeg

Well... yes.

He was able to mold some, moreso than others.

Not sure why that’s a bad thing to some. IMO he should be commended for giving kids an opportunity that others wouldn’t, and in some cases helping to put them on a better path.

IMO, the “thug” criticism should be limited to overly physical on court play - which GTown was certainly often guilty of.

We’ve recruited our share of kids that some would be willing to write off as “thugs” too.

Man, ...hate GT...but...

This news was shocking. The context and perspective it has illuminated encapsulates the contradictions that befall a diehard fan of any sports team. So many on this forum hate GT but attach a life changing moment in their fandom to JT and his relationship to SU. That seems like the ultimate tribute to me.

Shocking news. JT was great for CB and for the Cuse. I was at the last game at Manley and that quote by JT still resonates with me. The Manley FH is officially closed quote was the official start of the rivalry that I so much enjoyed over the years. As much as we all loved to hate the Hoyas we were so fortunate to see those Georgetown teams come into our house and frustrate the heck out of us. RIP Coach Thompson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom