RIP Ken Norton | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Ken Norton

Boxing in that era had some of the greatest fighters in all weight classes. Those days are full of good memories and great fights.

Boxing in that era had some of the greatest fighters in all weight classes. Those days are full of good memories and great fights.
Glad you brought up about the different weight classes. Bob Foster, Roberto Duran, Alexis Arguello, Carlos Monzon. Great fighters during the 70's and later in the decade, coming off a gold medal in the 76 Olympics a man called Sugar Ray.

Needless to say, probably the best, we never saw fight as a pro, Teofilo Stevenson. He could have earned some cabbage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_in_the_1970s

You can't talk about fighters of that era without mentioning my personal favorite, Marvin Hagler.

While the Klitschko's are good fighters, they look better than they are because the rest of the heavyweights are more like Joe Louis's bum of the month fighters.
I'd like to see what they might have done against Ali, Frazier, Norton, Holmes or Foreman.
Or my b-o-y-e-e-e Earnie Shavers

Lyle-Foreman may be greatest heavyweight brawl ever.
When they raised George's hand he had no idea where he was.

And we're forgetting Jerry Quarry.
I saw him counter-punch Ron Lyle to pieces at MSG.
He also KO'd Shavers in one round.
And Ken Norton stopped Quarry.
What a great bunch of fighters.
And then there were Bonavena and Henry Cooper who almost knocked Ali (Clay) cold and Wepner and Mathis and Jimmy Young and Jimmy Ellis.
And the great Canadian heavyweight George Chuvalo

You can't talk about fighters of that era without mentioning my personal favorite, Marvin Hagler.
And I forgot to mention my favorite, Thomas "the Hit Man" Hearns. He, Hagler and Sugar Ray had some memorable fights.