Rip me for being nostalgic | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rip me for being nostalgic

College sports has been ruined. I'll keep rooting for Syracuse. But it will never be the same. And I don't want to hear how times change.

Somewhere Marco Baldi, Sean Kerins, and Grady Mateen are shaking their heads. You know, from when basketball actually mattered.

44cuse

Let's not forget Constantin Popa. Pretty interesting that when I googled him, he is now a Head Coach at UIndy, which is a D-2 college, so good luck to him.

http://athletics.uindy.edu/coaches.aspx?rc=326&path=wbball

constantinpopa.jpg

It's a shame that the northeast isn't represented by a major conference when it's still the most populous section of the country. But that population meant TV markets that other conferences lusted for.

If I had a magic wand, I'd re-create the Big East as a northeastern FB conference, (BC, UCONN, Rutgers, Temple, Army, Navy, Syracuse, Penn State, Pitt and West Virginia). Leave the ACC a mid-Atlantic/southern coastal conference. The SEC, Big 10 and Pac 12 would reutrn to their traditonal line-up. Recreate the Big 8 and the SWC and reunite the WAC and Mountain West. Stick Notre Dame in one of those conferences for all sports- preferably the Big East. Then have an 8 team playoff of the champions of each conference. But that would make too much sense.

The problem is: College Football (and I would argue college sports outside of hoops) doesn't matter in the NorthEast. Sucks...because I missed the era where it did (the early traditional NE rivalries, Ivy's, etc)...and I've lived through the era of its importance draining away.

44cuse

I get it times change and it was the right move but it is going to suck to teach my kids to cheer for ACC basketball and as they grow up they will see the Big East as the weak conference.