RIP Mike Slive | Syracusefan.com

RIP Mike Slive

Met him when I was in law school. He came to speak at a symposium i organized as President of the Sports and Entertainment Law Society.
Very nice guy.

Will the SEC be able to find a true replacement? Seriously, he managed to keep the NCAA at bay, build the SEC into the power player they are without academics, got some schools playing hoops, and line every school's pocket with cash. That is a very tall order and a very hard act to follow.

Will the SEC be able to find a true replacement? Seriously, he managed to keep the NCAA at bay, build the SEC into the power player they are without academics, got some schools playing hoops, and line every school's pocket with cash. That is a very tall order and a very hard act to follow.

He retired years ago.

Greg Sankey has been SEC Commissioner since 2015.

He retired years ago.

Greg Sankey has been SEC Commissioner since 2015.

Thanks. i have not followed the SEC administration as closely as I should have. Regardless, he set the standard.

Another diddy about these SEC commissioners. Slive was from Utica and Sankey is from Auburn. Sankey also went to Cortland and got his masters at SU.

Bees, did Slive help out because he was at Dartmouth with Jake Crouthamel?

Bees, did Slive help out because he was at Dartmouth with Jake Crouthamel?

Do not know but I don’t think so. Slive and Jake were a few years apart. Slive and mike glazier started a legal practice that worked with colleges who were under investigation and they were thought to be the best in the business. He had been on the NCAA infractions committee prior. The local law firm we hired was Bond, Scheneck and King but we also brought in slive for his knowledge and expertise in NCAA matters.

Slive caught the NCAA totally flat-footed with the expansion of the SEC to 12 teams. The championship game rule was passed for a lower division conference in PA in order to come up with a fair and equitable way to determine who got their bid to the NCAA playoffs. The NCAA leadership never expected a D-1A conference to expand to 12 teams, so they never limited it to just D-1AA, D-2, and D-3. Slive noticed there was no limitation and got the presidents to go along with the expansion. Everyone knows about the conference realignment chaos that ensued when the popularity of the SEC championship game took off.

Another diddy about these SEC commissioners. Slive was from Utica and Sankey is from Auburn. Sankey also went to Cortland and got his masters at SU.
I would never have guessed that "the skankster" has an SU masters. What a self-righteous, hypocritical idiot. He's the guy who threw the book at SU because of Fab's footnotes and the ghastly $100 payments for refereeing games at the Y. Oh, the horror. Meanwhile, he's running the SEC - the biggest cesspool in college sports. Is it too late to rescind his masters?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom