RIP Ralph Kiner | Syracusefan.com

RIP Ralph Kiner

SWC75

Bored Historian
I've been a Met's fan since the 80's and have always enjoyed his work. He was actually a very sharp and well prepared guy, even when he made his annual visits to the broadcast booth after he had his stroke and was in his 80's and 90's. He'd have a book on each player and could discuss them in detail. He was the Met's link to the past, (most broadcast teams have one) who could compare Ozzie Smith to Marty Marion. I think people look to baseball broadcasters, (among other things) for continuity: you grow up listening to a voice, go off the college or war and come back listen to that voice, then listen to that voice with your son or even grandson.

Still Ralph was probably most famous for his stories, stories about him, and his malapropisms.

A lot of it had to do with names. He repeatedly called Gary Carter "Gary Cooper". He even called himself "Ralph Korner" once. When Tim McCarver was starting out, he was concerned with remembering people's names. Ralph told him not to worry. If you don't remember someone's name, just look up and say "Hey! There he is!" The next day, McCarver arrives for work, walks into the booth. Kiner looks up and says "Hey! There he is!"

In his younger days, as baseball top home run hitter and friend of Bing Crosby's, (who co-owned the Pirates), Ralph got some dates with Hollywood actresses, including Elizabeth Taylor. Ralph drove Liz to the Premiere of Twelve O'Clock High", (1949). When they came out, he went to the parking attendant and asked for "Ralph Kiner's car". They made an announcement for "Ralph Kiner's Car". Nothing happened. They repeated the announcement. Nothing. The attendant said "Mr. Kiner, it appears your chauffeur is asleep". Ralph said he didn't have a chauffeur. "Oh, then your car is over there" said the attendant, pointing to a vacant lot. That was his last date with Elizabeth Taylor.

Waiting for the car:
tumblr_liku3hFRDH1qfgi90o1_500.jpg

I was listening live when Ralph made his most famous malapropism: "Fans, today is Mother's Day and, on behalf of the Mets, I'd like to wish everyone out there a Happy Birthday!". (This is now, for some reason being reported as "Father's Day" but it was Mother's Day.)

Some other famous Kiner lines from over the decades:

"All of his saves have come in relief appearances"
"Darryl Strawberry has been voted to the Hall of Fame five years in a row."
"If Casey Stengel were alive today, he'd be spinning in his grave."
"It's like watching Mario Andretti park a car." - on Phil Niekro's knuckleball
"Solo homers usually come with no one on base."
"The Hall of Fame ceremonies are on the thirty-first and thirty-second of July."
"The Mets have gotten their leadoff batter on only once this inning."
"Tony Gwynn was named player of the year for April."
"There's a lot of heredity in that family."

Don't spin in your grave, Ralph.

Last edited:
It was fun to watch the old "Kiner's Korner" Mets post-game show when they played the Pirates. He would have players from the winning team (usually that meant the Pirates) and he would seem just as happy to be interviewing Clemente et al. as he was when interviewing the Mets players when they won.

I was never a Mets fan (Yankees in my house) but I was a Kiner fan. RIP big guy.

Great hitter (379 home runs in a 10-year career with mostly bad teams, in an era when home runs didn't come easy) and iconic broadcaster whose career spanned generations.

In recent years, his speech was impaired by Bell's palsy (not a stroke, SWC75). His voice will be missed.

I thought Yogi was the king of malaprops but SWC I think I have to hand it to your man Ralph 'Korner' lol

Here are a few more that I was able to dig up

"If Branch Rickey were alive today, he'd be spinning in his grave." -- Talking about the Dodgers and state of baseball in 1999

"Two-thirds of the earth is covered by water, the other third by Garry Maddox."

"You know what they say about Chicago. If you don' t like the weather, wait 15 minutes." -- When temperature at Wrigley Field dropped from 103 degrees to 61 degrees the next day.

"Cadillacs are down at the end of the bat." -- When asked why he didn't choke up

"I don't think we had the pressures then that ballplayers have now, because there was no television."

"All of the Mets' road wins against the Dodgers this year occurred at Dodger Stadium."

"We'll be back after this word from Manufacturers Hangover."

"Jon Matlack shut out the Reds on 3 hits and 1 run!"

"Sliding into second base on a ground rule double is Bill Mazeroski (referring to Lee Mazzilli).

.going over the scores at the end of Kiner's Korner, the display showed KC @ OAK...Ralph said, "and later, Kansas City will be at Oklahoma"!

On the Mets' first visit to Montreal to play the Expos: "They speak French up here. But they are nice people."

And we mustn't forget when he talked about the young slugger, Darryl Throneberry.

His explanation as to why he was a perfect fit for the broadcast booth for the fledgling Mets after a career playing mostly for dreadful Pirates teams…"because I had lots of experience with losing."

He called pitcher Shane Rawley "Shane Riley."

After an ad Ralph said "Send 5 dollars plus costage of postage."

Source

A few more from this mornings PS

“Kevin McReynolds stops at third and he scores.”

“(Don) Sutton lost 13 games in a row without winning a ballgame.”

“The reason the Mets have played so well at Shea this year is they have the best home record in baseball.”

“This one deep to right and it is way back, going, going, it is gone, no off of the top of the wall.”

Last edited:
I thought Yogi was the king of malaprops but SWC I think I have to hand it to your man Ralph 'Korner' lol

Here are a few more that I was able to dig up

"If Branch Rickey were alive today, he'd be spinning in his grave." -- Talking about the Dodgers and state of baseball in 1999

"Two-thirds of the earth is covered by water, the other third by Garry Maddox."

"You know what they say about Chicago. If you don' t like the weather, wait 15 minutes." -- When temperature at Wrigley Field dropped from 103 degrees to 61 degrees the next day.

"Cadillacs are down at the end of the bat." -- When asked why he didn't choke up

"I don't think we had the pressures then that ballplayers have now, because there was no television."

"All of the Mets' road wins against the Dodgers this year occurred at Dodger Stadium."

"We'll be back after this word from Manufacturers Hangover."

"Jon Matlack shut out the Reds on 3 hits and 1 run!"

"Sliding into second base on a ground rule double is Bill Mazeroski (referring to Lee Mazzilli).

.going over the scores at the end of Kiner's Korner, the display showed KC @ OAK...Ralph said, "and later, Kansas City will be at Oklahoma"!

On the Mets' first visit to Montreal to play the Expos: "They speak French up here. But they are nice people."

And we mustn't forget when he talked about the young slugger, Darryl Throneberry.

His explanation as to why he was a perfect fit for the broadcast booth for the fledgling Mets after a career playing mostly for dreadful Pirates teams…"because I had lots of experience with losing."

He called pitcher Shane Rawley "Shane Riley."

After an ad Ralph said "Send 5 dollars plus costage of postage."

Source

A few more from this mornings PS

“Kevin McReynolds stops at third and he scores.”

“(Don) Sutton lost 13 games in a row without winning a ballgame.”

“The reason the Mets have played so well at Shea this year is they have the best home record in baseball.”

“This one deep to right and it is way back, going, going, it is gone, no off of the top of the wall.”

Of course, not all of those are malapropisms. Some of them are pretty smart, or at least correct. If you spend 50 years in front of a microphone, people are going to hear some strange things sometimes.

One more form Sunday's paper: The Mets got a new sponsor, American Cyanamid. Ralph announced that the broadcast was now being sponsored by American Cyanide.

Of course, some Mets fans might have thought that appropriate.

Last edited:
Great hitter (379 home runs in a 10-year career with mostly bad teams, in an era when home runs didn't come easy) and iconic broadcaster whose career spanned generations.

In recent years, his speech was impaired by Bell's palsy (not a stroke, SWC75). His voice will be missed.

From Wikipedia:
"At the time of his death, Kiner was battling Bell's palsy, a speech disorder and a stroke a decade ago that forced him to cut his schedule to a handful of games a season.["

From Wikipedia:
"At the time of his death, Kiner was battling Bell's palsy, a speech disorder and a stroke a decade ago that forced him to cut his schedule to a handful of games a season.["
That'll teach me to question you. ;)

I do think his speech problems were initially the result of Bell's palsy.

That'll teach me to question you. ;)

I do think his speech problems were initially the result of Bell's palsy.

I agree. That happened first, as I recall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom