RIP Ron Franklin | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Ron Franklin

That Oklahoma game was the first one I can remember watching in full on TV. I recall bits and pieces of earlier games (Aloha Bowl & Fiesta Bowl come to mind, along with a few regular season Marvin Graves games), but 1994 was when I became a big-time fan. Maybe due to age (born in '81, everything before '94 is a bit fuzzy), but probably because I got my own TV that year in my room. Watched almost every game that season and ever since, really. But the Oklahoma game was what really started off this roller coaster ride of SU football fandom.
SU Football was a prominent player on Saturday Night college football on ESPN (or ESPN2) in the late 80s and 90s. Yes, a game against Oklahoma, but also contests against West Virginia, Virginia Tech (home and road), BC (road), Auburn, Michigan State, North Carolina (road, Donnie's first start) and BYU to name a few. Franklin did a few of those I would bet, but that was when good games were simply that, good games. No agendas. Just good or interesting games.

Listen, Alabama is an amazing team. I cannot watch them play Tennessee any more. The only question is will then win by 10, 20, 30 or 35 points? But they carry ratings and they get forced down our throats.

I am really sorry Ron Franklin passed this week, but I have been missing him since about 2005. Mark Jones is no Ron Franklin. Gus Johnson (fox) no Ron Franklin. Heck, Chris Fowler is no Ron Franklin. There are no more Ron Franklins.

North Carolina (road, Donnie's first start)
I don't understand why this game isn't anywhere to be found on YouTube seeing it was nationally televised on ESPN. Would love to come across it.

The only VT loss in the Dome was that Vick/Freeney battle. That was kind of a gut punch too with us scoring 14 early, then Nunes falling down in our end zone and throwing the ball straight up in the air for an INT. And Vick finally getting free for a long run to seal the deal. I was accustomed to beating them though, and we got revenge in Blacksburg in 2001. Righted the Dome ship in 2002.

Michigan sucked because of Nunes (sensing a theme) backing all that way into the end zone and getting the safety. Without it, we're kicking a FG on that final drive and going to overtime. Madei was outplaying him that day. Just would have been cool to beat Michigan in the Dome. And Tom Brady who no one guessed at that time would become Tom Brady. I think everyone thought Drew Henson would become Tom Brady.
Don't forget the blocked punt at the end of the 1st half with SU up 14-3 under 2:00. Dome is rocking and no stones P doesn't go for the throat and calls the most vanilla 3 plays setting a FG for a poor kid whose name I am forgetting had at that point established was very shaky potatoes outside of 40 yds. He predictably misses a 47 yarder at the gun.

Don't forget the blocked punt at the end of the 1st half with SU up 14-3 under 2:00. Dome is rocking and no stones P doesn't go for the throat and calls the most vanilla 3 plays setting a FG for a poor kid whose name I am forgetting had at that point established was very shaky potatoes outside of 40 yds. He predictably misses a 47 yarder at the gun.
Pretty sure it was Mike Shafer. Really good punter but could not make FG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom