RIP Rusty Staub | Syracusefan.com

RIP Rusty Staub

DZdRpOEXcAU36XI.jpg

The TV guys were discussing seeing him in he hospital during the the game sunday, thought he was doing better

By the time I started watching, he was primarily a pinch hitter, but he was great at that late in his carreer.

Sad to hear this. I wonder if the Nats will have something on their uniforms for him since they honor famous Expos.

You have to hear Keith & Ron talking about him earlier.

Keith could barely speak and Ron told a nice story.

Rusty was just one of those old time ‘baseball’ guys. Always liked him.

He had that streak in the 80s when the Mets were making a playoff run where it seemed like every game he got a pinch hit.
Eight. Holds a tie for the most in a season. The other guy has 9 but in 2 seasons.

When I was in HS my girlfriend Justene and I went to his restaurant. She had a huge crush on him despite rumors about his s e x ual preferences even back in the 70s (her dad and brothers teased her about the crush). He came up to us at the restaurant and was so jovial, putting his arms around us and talking to us for a while. Justene was in heaven. Nice nice man. Good food too.

It's kind of too bad if he was gay that he didn't come out to make life easier for young ball players but it was his business.

upload_2018-3-31_19-21-2.png

My greatest passion in sports was the Montreal Expos. I only start to remember things in 1981 and would like to forget most things after August 11, 1994, But I know from talking to older Expos fans over the years that Rusty was a big pat of what made them a fan.

Rusty Staub was huge not only in Montreal but in Canada as well. He made a huge impact despite being in Montreal for only 3 years. It was a very shocking moment that he was traded after the 1971 season.

RIP Rusty.

Long Rusty Staub story from my childhood:

My father, who bears a pretty close resemblance to Rusty Staub, was one of the many military air traffic controllers who Reagan sent to the New York airports during the Air Controller strike in the '80's. They really took care of the guys and set them up with several perks, one of which was tickets to Mets and Yankees games. He went to a Mets game and wound up getting the opportunity to meet Rusty Staub and got a signed ball from him. Apparently, all of the guys he was with kept making fun of him the rest of his time there because they looked so much alike that they had to be related.

Fast forward to him being sent back home, and he presents me with this ball, telling me that it was from my "Uncle Rusty." He then spins this elaborate tail off the cuff about how Rusty Staub was his older half brother but it was taboo to have a kid out of wedlock at the time so my grandmother shipped him to a cousins house where he grew up outside of the immediate family and we don't talk about him, etc.

Being in first grade at the time, I bought it hook line and sinker and took my Rusty Staub ball to school for show and tell. I told the whole story to my class about how I was related to a big time major league ball player. Nothing else was said until my next parent/teacher conference when my teacher starts saying things to my parents like "it must be pretty neat to have a celebrity in the family" and "do you get free tickets to any game?" My parents ask him what he's talking about and he tells them about my show and tell presentation. Catching on at this point, my dad looks him dead in the idea and says "I have no idea where he would get that idea." My next report card said that I have "an overactive imagination and issues determining reality from fantasy."

Years later, when I finally got the full story of the parent/teacher conference, I asked my dad why he would just hang me out to dry like that. He simply said "I didn't want him to yell at me for being a terrible father!" So he doubled down. I also asked him why he made up the story in the first place and he said because "he thought it would be funny to mess with (me)." So, yes, Father of the Year.

Naturally, when this news came last week, I immediately texted my dad and asked him how he was taking the news and if my grandmother was doing okay.

Long Rusty Staub story from my childhood:

My father, who bears a pretty close resemblance to Rusty Staub, was one of the many military air traffic controllers who Reagan sent to the New York airports during the Air Controller strike in the '80's. They really took care of the guys and set them up with several perks, one of which was tickets to Mets and Yankees games. He went to a Mets game and wound up getting the opportunity to meet Rusty Staub and got a signed ball from him. Apparently, all of the guys he was with kept making fun of him the rest of his time there because they looked so much alike that they had to be related.

Fast forward to him being sent back home, and he presents me with this ball, telling me that it was from my "Uncle Rusty." He then spins this elaborate tail off the cuff about how Rusty Staub was his older half brother but it was taboo to have a kid out of wedlock at the time so my grandmother shipped him to a cousins house where he grew up outside of the immediate family and we don't talk about him, etc.

Being in first grade at the time, I bought it hook line and sinker and took my Rusty Staub ball to school for show and tell. I told the whole story to my class about how I was related to a big time major league ball player. Nothing else was said until my next parent/teacher conference when my teacher starts saying things to my parents like "it must be pretty neat to have a celebrity in the family" and "do you get free tickets to any game?" My parents ask him what he's talking about and he tells them about my show and tell presentation. Catching on at this point, my dad looks him dead in the idea and says "I have no idea where he would get that idea." My next report card said that I have "an overactive imagination and issues determining reality from fantasy."

Years later, when I finally got the full story of the parent/teacher conference, I asked my dad why he would just hang me out to dry like that. He simply said "I didn't want him to yell at me for being a terrible father!" So he doubled down. I also asked him why he made up the story in the first place and he said because "he thought it would be funny to mess with (me)." So, yes, Father of the Year.

Naturally, when this news came last week, I immediately texted my dad and asked him how he was taking the news and if my grandmother was doing okay.

Fantastic story! Thanks for posting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom