RIP Scott Weiland | Syracusefan.com

RIP Scott Weiland

Tragic. What a talent, but troubled. Thank god I saw STP in concert.

I never did. Bummer.

One of my former co-workers actually sat next to Scott's dad on a plane one time and had a long conversation with him. Can't imagine how he feels today (if he's still alive).

Just posted on OT board as i didnt see this thread. STP was such a staple in my teen angst that this hits hard. Never was that into nirvana, so this is weird

RF2044 said:
Tragic. What a talent, but troubled. Thank god I saw STP in concert.
I saw whatever his later band was called (revolver?) maybe 10 years ago out here in LA. An abomination but he sounded great, looked like a corpse, but sounded great. Never got to see STP unfortunately

Turns out my co-worker actually had lunch with Scott's dad. It was at an environmental training course that Scott's dad was teaching. Said he was pretty interesting.

I saw whatever his later band was called (revolver?) maybe 10 years ago out here in LA. An abomination but he sounded great, looked like a corpse, but sounded great. Never got to see STP unfortunately

Velvet Revolver--I think Slash was also in that band.

I saw STP in the 1995 timeframe [or thereabouts], at the War Memorial of all places. They were doing a small tour, shortly after Weiland had gotten out of rehab [forcing them to cancel a much larger tour earlier that year]. They were phenomenal, but I seem to recall that the end of the tour got cancelled when Weiland relapsed and ended up back in rehab.

Purple is still one of my favorite albums--every track is great. RIP, Scott Weiland.

edit--it was 1996.

Last edited:
Velvet Revolver--I think Slash was also in that band.

I saw STP in the 1995 timeframe [or thereabouts], at the War Memorial of all places. They were doing a small tour, shortly after Weiland had gotten out of rehab [forcing them to cancel a much larger tour earlier that year]. They were phenomenal, but I seem to recall that the end of the tour got cancelled when Weiland relapsed and ended up back in rehab.

Purple is still one of my favorite albums--every track is great. RIP, Scott Weiland.

Velvet Revolver was essentially Guns and Roses withOUT Axel. I have at least one of their discs on my iPod. Scott was great. Addiction is evil. So many of the bands I really liked were affected by it. Nirvana, STP, Alice in Chains, and on and on.

RF2044 said:
Velvet Revolver--I think Slash was also in that band. I saw STP in the 1995 timeframe [or thereabouts], at the War Memorial of all places. They were doing a small tour, shortly after Weiland had gotten out of rehab [forcing them to cancel a much larger tour earlier that year]. They were phenomenal, but I seem to recall that the end of the tour got cancelled when Weiland relapsed and ended up back in rehab. Purple is still one of my favorite albums--every track is great. RIP, Scott Weiland.
I wish slash was in the iteration i saw, he didnt play in this show from recollection, although this was the height of my partying days so memory is fuzzy.
It was memorable though as scott pointed to me and had the crowd give me a round of applause for being the only "black mother******" in the building.
Pretty cool

Velvet Revolver was essentially Guns and Roses withOUT Axel. I have at least one of their discs on my iPod. Scott was great. Addiction is evil. So many of the bands I really liked were affected by it. Nirvana, STP, Alice in Chains, and on and on.

I'm a HUGE AIC fan. Pound for pound, one of my favorite bands. One of my regrets is that I didn't get to see them in concert before Layne Staley died.

I've seen them since, with their new singer [who really is fantastic, and although they don't try to make him sing like Staley, he's able to reproduce that haunting warble that Staley was known for], and they are terrific. I like a lot of their newer stuff, too. But I never got to see Layne.

Even though, it was basically the music of my era, I found much of the dominant rock of the early 90s (often labeled as "grunge") boring, unoriginal, and uninspiring. STP definitely had their moments though. I respect Weiland's talents and am sad that he is gone. I kind of "met" him at a meet and great back in my radio days. I don't remember him having much to say, but he was polite. Two of my favorites are "Interstate Love Song" and "Big Bang Baby."

is anyone else awkwardly upset by his passing? His voice was such a big part of growing up for me.
Yes, as previously stated, it can't be surprising knowing his demons, but it feels like the past 20 years have flown by. Those bands from that time just came one after the other Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and STP among others, but every one of them knocked me on my ass, in a good way. You think of the singers of each of the bands I mentioned and how each one was distinctive but they were/are all great.

Yes, as previously stated, it can't be surprising knowing his demons, but it feels like the past 20 years have flown by. Those bands from that time just came one after the other Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and STP among others, but every one of them knocked me on my ass, in a good way. You think of the singers of each of the bands I mentioned and how each one was distinctive but they were/are all great.
Gosh, completely forgot about alice in chains.
Gonna load that up on the iphone

Very sad, was a huge Stp fan, luckily I got to see them in concert, great show, rip Scott.