RIP Tim McCarver | Syracusefan.com

RIP Tim McCarver

Last edited:

Some people didn't like him but I thought he was great. I Iearned more baseball listening to him than everyone else combined. Nowadays everybody does it like Tim, tor tries to.
He was one of the best analysts for baseball ever.

Maybe got a little full of himself later in his announcing career but I agree for a long time, broadcasts of games he did were on another level.

RIP Tim.

Man that stinks. I remember big Saturday games, big Fox playoff games... I loved McCarver. Joe Buck... meh (although IMO he's gotten better -- and that's not the point of any of this)

RIP Tim McCarver

He was one of the best analysts for baseball ever.

Maybe got a little full of himself later in his announcing career but I agree for a long time, broadcasts of games he did were on another level.

RIP Tim.
He went back to doing home Cardinal games a few years ago and was terrific.

Solid ballplayer who knew the game.

Unfortunately, he could be a little overbearing with a propensity to overwhelm with his knowledge of the game monologues. I hope he toned it down a little in his later broadcasting years.

Not to say the information that he imparted wasn't inciteful, it generally was.

I thought he was great. He was a fan of a lot of stuff outside baseball.

My absolutely favorite example of this came on a Saturday Game Of The Week featuring the Mets. The camera panned outside Shea to show late arrivals scurrying to the park from the train station.

Without missing a beat, McCarver said, "And another hundred people just got off of the train."

That was a line from 'Another Hundred People' from the Broadway show 'Company' written by my Musical Mount Rushmore occupant Stephen Sondheim. McCarver didn't need to say anything else, and he didn't. He knew that the people who got it would get it. Oh, the song?:

I’ll admit that I was never a fan of his. He officially lost me when he said, “Danny Heep is the first DH in World Series history to have the initials DH.” Now I like trivia, but his flair for the banal was too much for me. He seemed to be a nice guy and it’s always sad to lose someone. RIP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom