Rivalry in Intercollegiate Athletics | Syracusefan.com

Rivalry in Intercollegiate Athletics

Cody Havard

Walk On
Hello All,

I am a professor studying rivalry in intercollegiate athletics. In particular, we are interested in gauging fan perceptions of rival teams. Thank you to everyone who participated in the project. The survey is now closed. Completing the survey will help give us a better picture of rivalry at the intercollegiate level.

If you are interested in seeing results from the project, please do not hesitate to contact me at chavard@memphis.edu.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Good survey I said Boston College and Pittsburgh.
thats really the only answer.

the ped st nambla lions really dont qualify anymore.

and the Orange were the nail to their hammer in that rivalry anywho.

thats really the only answer.

the ped st nambla lions really dont qualify anymore.

and the Orange were the nail to their hammer in that rivalry anywho.

It would be cool if the Pitt game could get more legs, it's our longest running. But neither fan base really cares all that much. Neither gets good attendance in their home game for it, and neither fan base travels to the other.

People have waffled about how much interest there is for BC. For me there is plenty. And there is certainly more interest than Pitt. At least on the football side.

Pitt and Syracuse have just never been very good at the same time. Which is probably a whole separate analysis of the northeast talent pool.

BC is our rival in football. The ACC has recognized it. SU fans should embrace it as well. Have fun with it. Go to Boston and join the giant orange showing that has so often taken over that stadium.

It would be cool if the Pitt game could get more legs, it's our longest running. But neither fan base really cares all that much. Neither gets good attendance in their home game for it, and neither fan base travels to the other.

People have waffled about how much interest there is for BC. For me there is plenty. And there is certainly more interest than Pitt. At least on the football side.

Pitt and Syracuse have just never been very good at the same time. Which is probably a whole separate analysis of the northeast talent pool.

BC is our rival in football. The ACC has recognized it. SU fans should embrace it as well. Have fun with it. Go to Boston and join the giant orange showing that has so often taken over that stadium.
totally agree.

its always been BC for me, right down to my choice of schools.

its also why i want the game off of thanks weekend. thats a great mid to late oct game IMO.

as for pitt, taking a look at the series record, its like an NBA game. nothing but a series of runs.

we run off, 5, they run off 6. then we run off a decade, then they run off a decade. toss a couple contested moments in there and thats that.

pitt should really be the easy, no brainer...road tripper for students. tickets will be easy to get and its a relativly short drive away.

swing by the game on your way to pick up the grain alcohol for next weeks blow out.

I'd say it was West Virginia, but now we don't play them anymore. Before that for a few years it was Virginia tech, but that died when they left for the ACC in 2004.

BC and Pitt have never felt like more than secondary rivalry games. I really wish we were in the same division as VT, I had a really healthy hatred worked up for them and I miss it.

Thank you everyone for taking the survey and the conversation above. Your help is very much appreciated. Again, if you are interested in seeing results from the study, please do not hesitate to contact me at chavard@memphis.edu.

OrangeDW said:
I'd say it was West Virginia, but now we don't play them anymore. Before that for a few years it was Virginia tech, but that died when they left for the ACC in 2004. BC and Pitt have never felt like more than secondary rivalry games. I really wish we were in the same division as VT, I had a really healthy hatred worked up for them and I miss it.

The problem with each of those teams is that they each have a more hated rival. So it was secondary by default. No such problem with BC.

Nothing wrong with secondary rivalries, they fill out the schedule. SEC has lots of them.

Bc believes ND is a bigger rival.

Chip said:
The problem with each of those teams is that they each have a more hated rival. So it was secondary by default. No such problem with BC. Nothing wrong with secondary rivalries, they fill out the schedule. SEC has lots of them.

and thats fine.

nd probably will say its biggest is usc.

usc will say its biggest is ucla.

not everybody is michigan-ohio st. bama-aub. texas-oklahoma.

a lot of secodary rivalries become huge games based on that seasons records.

what do you want? fla-ga? or fla-bama? or bama-lsu? fla-lsu? texas-aTm?(wait...), oklahoma-nebraska? (err...ahh)

Orangetradition44 said:

Well sure but being delusional doesn't mean they're right. Most smart BC fans (that's actually not an oxymoron) know they are far down ND's list and that SU is more of their rival.

It's like when we thought VT and Miami were our rivals when they thought we were just an interesting game.

I put the Buffalo Bills. Cause they have have stolen so much from our campus like a real college rival would (he says in jest).

BC is our rival.

Beating them this year was a real highlight.