Rob Moore on challenges in recruiting New York: 'Loyalty to your state' doesn't exist anymore | Syracusefan.com

Rob Moore on challenges in recruiting New York: 'Loyalty to your state' doesn't exist anymore

Meh. Kids in other states are "loyal" because their state school programs are good. Easier to be "loyal" when you're in Texas, Ohio, Michigan, Florida, Alabama, etc. If SU was a perennial top 25 program we'd land more NYS players.

Unlike the big state programs, very few NYS kids grow up fans of SU. I'm guessing a LOT more of them dream of playing for the Giants than the Orange.

It's not really that complicated. This seems like a clear cut case of build it and they will come. Can you begrudge a kid for picking one of those B1G or SEC schools over SU? I can't. Not until we're better.

Meh. Kids in other states are "loyal" because their state school programs are good. Easier to be "loyal" when you're in Texas, Ohio, Michigan, Florida, Alabama, etc. If SU was a perennial top 25 program we'd land more NYS players.

Unlike the big state programs, very few NYS kids grow up fans of SU. I'm guessing a LOT more of them dream of playing for the Giants than the Orange.

It's not really that complicated. This seems like a clear cut case of build it and they will come. Can you begrudge a kid for picking one of those B1G or SEC schools over SU? I can't. Not until we're better.
it's so lazy for people like moore to just chalk things up to entire groups of people being so different than they used to be

If state pride in NYS is a selling point than it's an awful selling point. The way goodies are handed out by Albany the regions are pitted against each other. That and the whole private school / non multi generational fanbase thing.

Rob is where he belongs, in the NFL. Teenagers have always been and always will be marching to their own drum so I really don't expect any kids to dream about playing for SU to represent NYS. Granted, SU is the best college sports team in the State but personally I like seeing this pattern the staff has going geographically and then moving into the 5-10 hour radius as they become more familiar with those areas.

NYS is just different. Upstate does not produce a lot of D1 talent; downstate looks at Syracuse as a different country. Consider drive times from L.I. to the other football schools.

The way to improve this is to elevate SU (just win!), and hire guys like Bobby Acosta who have roots in that 6 hour region.

Winning (Top 30), good facilities, a fun campus experience and very good educational opportunities will deliver more than enough talent. New York pride might deliver a few if you are a Bronx native (Marrone) who also has a coach with deep NY coaching ties (Anselmo).

Moore's not wrong and that's why i appreciate guys like Naesean Howard who have that pride. It's actually worse upstate.

Moore's not wrong and that's why i appreciate guys like Naesean Howard who have that pride. It's actually worse upstate.

How is he not wrong?

I know a LOT of NYers, and they are almost universally proud to be from NY. Often to an obnoxious degree. ;)

But that pride manifests itself in many ways, and one of them isn't in teenagers desperately wanting to play for a private college hours from their home that they never had a rooting interest in.

Kids all over Ohio grow up Buckeyes fans, that's simply not the case in NY. If the Giants were recruiting teenagers then there'd be a ton of "loyalty".

How is he not wrong?

I know a LOT of NYers, and they are almost universally proud to be from NY. Often to an obnoxious degree. ;)

But that pride manifests itself in many ways, and one of them isn't in teenagers desperately wanting to play for a private college hours from their home that they never had a rooting interest in.

Kids all over Ohio grow up Buckeyes fans, that's simply not the case in NY. If the Giants were recruiting teenagers then there'd be a ton of "loyalty".

You answered your own question with an example that I bolded

You answered your own question with an example that I bolded

He said kids have changed. When did a majority of highly-recruited NYS kids grow up rooting for the football Orangemen?

I think Rob will be happier in the NFL. His comments on recruiting over the past few years definitely make it seem like he didn't really enjoy that part of the job, and it's an important part of the job.

How is he not wrong?

Proud to be from the City, Long Island, etc...big difference.

Does this mean 23 of the 25 kids we brought in this class are "disloyal" because they chose to go to school out of state? We will get a big fish to stay home sooner or later. Probably sooner now that Moore isn't the primary recruiter. Wish him the best of luck with the Bills. NFL is the better fit.

How is he not wrong?

i'm willing to bet 90% of those kids don't even realize Syracuse is a private University, nor even know what that means.

I think Rob will be happier in the NFL. His comments on recruiting over the past few years definitely make it seem like he didn't really enjoy that part of the job, and it's an important part of the job.

i think that would be an understatement. both parties are better off.

i'm willing to bet 90% of those kids don't even realize Syracuse is a private University, nor even know what that means.

I agree and of course that's clearly not the point.

1. These are just kids
  2. They can watch any team on TV rather than just the local fare as in years past. They become Oregon fans as easily as SU fans.
  3. T0 a city kid the city is Manhattan and Upstate is Westchester County
  4. Recruiting is getting more and more regional every year
  5. NYS is a deficit state for D-1 football recruits (more demand than supply)
  6. SU is a basketball school
Winning and program stability is the way we will carve out our place in the P5 world of recruiting. I think we are doing pretty well for our record and are clearly improving. If we get NYS players to all well and good, If not, I really don't care.

As your program gets better, NYS kids will want to stay and play for SU.

If Dr Gross' new football scheduling plan for the ACC can ever be put into play, that'd be another huge bonus.

I'm gonna be honest, I didn't know state loyalty was ever a thing.

I'm gonna be honest, I didn't know state loyalty was ever a thing.
It isn't in NY, but does exist (in varying degrees) in states with one or two large public schools.

SU could use another Tim Green type of recruit. I still remember the day that he chose the Orangemen over the large state school in PA.