Rochester or 21??? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rochester or 21???

21 where I grew up on Hackensack, NJ. Fun game. When we played it you had to draw blood to get a foul called...

Anyone that called a foul lost all respect. I used to hate the guys that would play no D and then just grab the easy rebounds.

I grew up in Tully and we called it 21. Never heard Rochester used for it before.

The other game I have always known as knockout but when I lived in the Elmira area it was also called "bump"

I grew up in Utica, and we mostly called it Rochester and then when I got to college in the NYC area, it was called 21. I was laughed at when I said, "Let's play some Rochester."

I was wondering what the heck this thread title was but i didnt bother to read it til now. We called it both rochester and 21. And i will beat everyone here afterall i used to think i was magic johnson on the court and i still do.
Being Magic in a game where you have no teammates and cannot pass seems like such a waste of ability. Magic was amazing at making those around him better, a trait that is useless during Rochester lol

Being Magic in a game where you have no teammates and cannot pass seems like such a waste of ability. Magic was amazing at making those around him better, a trait that is useless during Rochester lol
Oh really ? Can you guard magic in a game of 21 , not even two of you, i win. Show time babyyyy

21, tap with two hands whoever misses gets their points cut in half, one hand zero...need to hit a shot between halfcort and three to win after you get 21.

21. Never heard it called Rochacha before.

Two hand tap equalled going back to zero, one handed tap equalled out of the game.

Also, all the posts about fouls? No fouls, blood or not. How can you have fouls in a game like that?

Your last name is familiar... was your dad a health teacher at W'boro and did he run summer league basketball with Ed Wadas @ Parkway Middle?
that's him, You went to wboro when they were in the tri-valley league. We had to play in the Syracuse OHSL metro league against the likes of Bernard blunt, Dorsey Levens and Craig Caldwell we had some lean years

Your old man kicked me out of health class one day in high school. He was cool about it, he told me not to go to the office but just to walk around the school and if I got in trouble I was on my own. Always a good time. Summer league was always epic, we all loved it. When I was in middle school and played in the Big East I ended up on Georgetown one summer and was so dejected. Anybody but Georgetown. You played hoops? I remember Dorsey Levens tearing it up at Nottingham in football, I think I was in elementary school. You may have played with my neighbor, Keith Pinto. We did play TVL (I didn't play school ball), we were awful. I did play OHSL lax for W'boro. Again, we were awful.

we call it 21. a tap is a tap no matter what kind it is. the game always last wayyyy to long so we have a safe number. Reach 11 and every time you get tapped after that you go to 11 instead of 0. just have to hit 21 without going over. If you get tapped 3 times your out of the game. NO FOULS. Those are our rules.

I grew up in Tully and we called it 21. Never heard Rochester used for it before.

The other game I have always known as knockout but when I lived in the Elmira area it was also called "bump"

I live in the Elmira area and we call it knockout. :p

We also call the game 21...21.

Holland patent circa late 90s it was called Rochester. Eventually we shortened it to rock.
Example- "want to play some rock?"

Being from holland patent though we also played "barn ball". Basically basketball but dribbling was more optional and while there was no tackling, it was prety close to full contact.

I live in the Elmira area and we call it knockout. :p

We also call the game 21...21.

I lived in Horseheads from 86-91 and 94-2000. I played in the leagues at the Y (the old SS hs) and the park at Thorne Street. I taught at Twin Tiers and thats where I remember bump from

Hey did you guys ever play this game where you get even teams of either 3, 4, or 5 guys and just play basketball? We called it pick-up.

Hard to do when you have an odd number of guys, so you play 21. It is also good practice for your offensive game and rebounding skills.

i grew up near henninger,it's 21 and the loser had a date with lori...yup,bobby did like to lose a lot

21, tap with two hands whoever misses gets their points cut in half, one hand zero...need to hit a shot between halfcort and three to win after you get 21.

So essentially, a three pointer from the top of the key. Why would someone back up further than that?

So essentially, a three pointer from the top of the key. Why would someone back up further than that?

Na further back from three, its the way we always played, and if you miss you go back to 13

21. Rochester was for people who rode the short bus to school.

Your old man kicked me out of health class one day in high school. He was cool about it, he told me not to go to the office but just to walk around the school and if I got in trouble I was on my own. Always a good time. Summer league was always epic, we all loved it. When I was in middle school and played in the Big East I ended up on Georgetown one summer and was so dejected. Anybody but Georgetown. You played hoops? I remember Dorsey Levens tearing it up at Nottingham in football, I think I was in elementary school. You may have played with my neighbor, Keith Pinto. We did play TVL (I didn't play school ball), we were awful. I did play OHSL lax for W'boro. Again, we were awful.
I have heard many stories about my father, very lax when it came to teaching. He was actually giving you a break by just sending you into the hall. You should have done what I always did by going to the library. I did play basketball there, we didn't do well, half of the players who could play either didn't go out for the team or quit. I don't know Keith pinto, was his brother Sal?

I have heard many stories about my father, very lax when it came to teaching. He was actually giving you a break by just sending you into the hall. You should have done what I always did by going to the library. I did play basketball there, we didn't do well, half of the players who could play either didn't go out for the team or quit. I don't know Keith pinto, was his brother Sal?
He had an older brother, Eric I think. Your dad certainly was giving me a break. He was a good guy.

21. Rochester was for people who rode the short bus to school.
As an elementary special-educator, I resent that. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom