Rolling the ball to half court... | Syracusefan.com

Rolling the ball to half court...

Shermthegeneral

Starter
Does anybody think it Ridiculous that you get 5 seconds to inbound the ball but they allow the ball to roll inbounds for as long as it takes for someone to pick it up? It doesn't make sense to me! You usually have 3, 5, or 10 seconds to make an action, 3 seconds to get out of the lane on offense, 5 seconds to inbound, 10 seconds to shoot a free throw but in theory the offense has unlimited time to pick up the ball if its rolled. Does anyone else have a problem with this?

They should have 5 seconds to touch the ball and 10 seconds to get across half court. I have long wondered about that. Also, why not put your quickest defensive player back with them to prevent it?

I'm ok with it, make the defense come and make them pick it up. Doesn't make to much of a difference.

Honestly, all you have to do is run one defender at the guy letting it roll up the floor and force him to pick it up. What bothers me more than rolling it is the reluctance to have one guy just do that to make it a moot strategy.

I'm ok with it, make the defense come and make them pick it up. Doesn't make to much of a difference.
In my opinion, it's a delay of the game and giving a team an advantage! If its not a big deal, why do you only get 10 seconds to shoot a free throw? The reason they limit you to only 10 seconds is because I'm sure people were taking forever to shoot the ball delaying the pace of the game.

In my opinion, it's a delay of the game and giving a team an advantage! If its not a big deal, why do you only get 10 seconds to shoot a free throw? The reason they limit you to only 10 seconds is because I'm sure people were taking forever to shoot the ball delaying the pace of the game.
I have no bearing on you taking a free throw in ten seconds. I can however make you pick up the ball before it gets to half court. Defense has a say in the rolling, not in free throw shooting.

Does anybody think it Ridiculous that you get 5 seconds to inbound the ball but they allow the ball to roll inbounds for as long as it takes for someone to pick it up? It doesn't make sense to me! You usually have 3, 5, or 10 seconds to make an action, 3 seconds to get out of the lane on offense, 5 seconds to inbound, 10 seconds to shoot a free throw but in theory the offense has unlimited time to pick up the ball if its rolled. Does anyone else have a problem with this?
My mind... is blown. Never even thought of this.

No, you still have 10 seconds to get the ball across the half court line. If the defending team wants to force the clock to start, all they have to do is get someone close enough to pick it up. This forces the offensive team to grab it and the clock starts. It is sort of a kobayashi maru situation by the offensive team.

There's probably no rule because it's so easily prevented by the other team.

My problem is with the fact that we consistently allow opponents to have that opportunity.
I get that we want to set up the zone.
But Louisville took about 8 SECONDS to roll the ball across halfcourt on their final possession.
(Yes, I went back Saturday and timed it because I couldn't believe we allowed that).
It's got to save them at least a couple of seconds on the clock.
And with only :13 to go...that's a lot of time.

Can't we put one defender in the backccourt to make them inbounds properly...force them to run a couple of seconds bringing the ball up... and still expect the guy to be in defensive position in the zone?

There's probably no rule because it's so easily prevented by the other team.

My problem is with the fact that we consistently allow opponents to have that opportunity.
I get that we want to set up the zone.
But Louisville took about 8 SECONDS to roll the ball across halfcourt on their final possession.
(Yes, I went back Saturday and timed it because I couldn't believe we allowed that).
It's got to save them at least a couple of seconds on the clock.
And with only :13 to go...that's a lot of time.

Can't we put one defender in the backccourt to make them inbounds properly...force them to run a couple of seconds bringing the ball up... and still expect the guy to be in defensive position in the zone?
to let them roll it up in that situition is 100% correct. By sending someone up to stop it, you open up a hole in our zone defense which will give someone a wide open 3. We actually did just that a couple of years ago and it nearly cost us a game.

Technically, you have 5 to "release the ball" when inbounding. Once released, it is a "live" ball and no one has possession until the the ball is first touched, which allows for the ball to roll theoretically "forever." The real issue is that the clock is not started until the ball is touched. What seems ridiculous is not forcing the other team to start the clock by forcing them to touch the inbounds as soon as possible.

I have heard JB's reasons for allowing the ball to roll. It's similar to his not having anyone at the blocks during late game FT with a lead. He would rather not be "out of position" on D. He has won 900+ games doing this...

They should have 5 seconds to touch the ball and 10 seconds to get across half court. I have long wondered about that. Also, why not put your quickest defensive player back with them to prevent it?
5 seconds to release the ball. The count starts on the touch

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Probably a difference with the Free Throw thing is that if there was no time limit, you could have a guy at the line and the rest of the team could essentially go have a full timeout with the coach while he waits or goes through his minute long ritual or whatever. Rolling the ball only buys you 3 or 4 seconds, not enough to get a free timeout.

siva is one of the fastest guards in the league. not a big difference between hitting him in stride with a pass or having to bend over and take off from a dead stop to cross half court .i'd say 1 second max.

more annoying than say...half a page of gibberish? no.
It amazes me how many people who make comments on this board who don't have a clue! You must be a casual fan or student, we all have different knowledge about the game and the rules! My apologies to all the people that I confused! In the future, I will tag my posts with (basketball knowledge required)

to let them roll it up in that situition is 100% correct. By sending someone up to stop it, you open up a hole in our zone defense which will give someone a wide open 3. We actually did just that a couple of years ago and it nearly cost us a game.

I feel like you don't have to do much to make them pick up the ball though. Just run at them and get within 5-10 feet of them, and scramble back

I'll say this, Butler did one of the smartest things I have seen in their game the other day. The zags had hit a shot in the last minute of the first half, maybe 56 seconds on the clock. At the end of the 1st half, the clock continues to run. The Butler players acted all confused about who was supposed to inbound and then dilly-dallied for a few more seconds. Then, even though there was no defender in the backcourt, they took 4 full seconds to throw it in. Then they rolled it and let it roll super slow for almost 10 seconds. By the time they picked it up, presto they had the last possession of the half because the game clock and shot clock were synched up.

It amazes me how many people who make comments on this board who don't have a clue! You must be a casual fan or student, we all have different knowledge about the game and the rules! My apologies to all the people that I confused! In the future, I will tag my posts with (basketball knowledge required)

He's talking about your signature, which is almost a full page of gibberish text...

more annoying than say...half a page of gibberish? no.

I was wondering when someone was going to point this out. I'm all like, "Is it just me?"... and then I was all like "Oh good, TBone's on it."

I can rest easy now.

He's talking about your signature, which is almost a full page of gibberish text...
I estimate (using my totally arbitrary yardstick of dubious accuracy wherein 2 taps of the space bar is approx. 1 full page of text) that we're dealing with approximately 1.33 pages of gibberish. This must be resolved. Pronto.

Or I will go kick rocks. I mean it.

If we were playing a man defense it would make sense to have a guy up and force them to pick up the ball. Because we are playing zone and essentially guarding spots on the floor, why would you vacate your defensive position and risk that they are able to get their best 3 point shooter set up in that spot on the floor for a clean shot just to get the clock started rolling.

The only thing I'm annoyed by is your signature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom