Rolling the ball to half court... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rolling the ball to half court...

I'll say this, Butler did one of the smartest things I have seen in their game the other day. The zags had hit a shot in the last minute of the first half, maybe 56 seconds on the clock. At the end of the 1st half, the clock continues to run. The Butler players acted all confused about who was supposed to inbound and then dilly-dallied for a few more seconds. Then, even though there was no defender in the backcourt, they took 4 full seconds to throw it in. Then they rolled it and let it roll super slow for almost 10 seconds. By the time they picked it up, presto they had the last possession of the half because the game clock and shot clock were synched up.

This has been something I've been thinking about for a few years now.

If you're a big underdog team and you are trying to shorten the game, shouldn't you do this a lot? Even if you don't roll the ball in, you can take 4 seconds to inbound the ball afteldr every basket and effectively make the shot clock 39 seconds. It would be annoying as hell, but if you're trying to gain every advantage you can...

I'm not surprised a Brad Stevens coached team did that.

Yeah on the play where the Butler player traveled at the end the guy inbounding waited like 4 seconds before picking up the ball so he could survey the floor and see who was open.

Hate their guts but Brad Stevens is a genius.

It amazes me how many people who make comments on this board who don't have a clue! You must be a casual fan or student, we all have different knowledge about the game and the rules! My apologies to all the people that I confused! In the future, I will tag my posts with (basketball knowledge required)

Its hilarious that you questions tbones basketball knowledge - but had no idea what he was talking about.

:blah::crazy::noidea::bat::rolling:

I think you should have 5 seconds to park your car before you lose rights to the spot. Sorry, gals!

Honestly, all you have to do is run one defender at the guy letting it roll up the floor and force him to pick it up. What bothers me more than rolling it is the reluctance to have one guy just do that to make it a moot strategy.

In theory but you must remember Eric Devendorf committing fouls on several occasions doing exactly what you proposed.

In theory but you must remember Eric Devendorf committing fouls on several occasions doing exactly what you proposed.
Okay, so send someone at the ballhandler who isn't going to be a total dumbass. Mission accomplished.

Okay, so send someone at the ballhandler who isn't going to be a total dumbass. Mission accomplished.

How can you possibly call Devendorf a complete dumbass?! He did make a steal one time doing this as a freshman but then duffed an easy layup. That was against Georgetown, I believe.

Technically, you have 5 to "release the ball" when inbounding. Once released, it is a "live" ball and no one has possession until the the ball is first touched, which allows for the ball to roll theoretically "forever." The real issue is that the clock is not started until the ball is touched. What seems ridiculous is not forcing the other team to start the clock by forcing them to touch the inbounds as soon as possible.

I have heard JB's reasons for allowing the ball to roll. It's similar to his not having anyone at the blocks during late game FT with a lead. He would rather not be "out of position" on D. He has won 900+ games doing this...

In 1987 against Indiana for the NCAA championship, there were two plays that could have changed the outcome near the end of the game. First Coleman missed the front end of a one & one at the foul line ! Second---- JB had no one "on the blocks late in the game with the lead"! Keith Smarts' amazing shot from the left corner turned out our lights !!!

Let them save the two seconds and set up your defence properly.

IMO, it distracts the point guard... he has to look up and see if the other guy is coming rather then focusing on the set up of his teammates in front of him. He picks it up, and it not usually in any rhythm.

If we were playing a man defense it would make sense to have a guy up and force them to pick up the ball. Because we are playing zone and essentially guarding spots on the floor, why would you vacate your defensive position and risk that they are able to get their best 3 point shooter set up in that spot on the floor for a clean shot just to get the clock started rolling.

100% agree I've never understood this. It takes 8 seconds for the ball to roll that far but it takes 2 seconds for the guard to dribble it that far. That's all you need is a hit a head to someone for a 3 or worse the other guard to switch with you there is a mixup and you give up a drive and floater.

Allowing the roll also gives the opponent plenty of time to position its players.

I don't see how token pressure takes us that much out of our defense relative to how it may pressure the opponent to speed up.
The opponent needs a minimum of two players in the backcourt.
We only need one to apply necessary pressure.
So on the defensive end of the court we would have a 4 on 3 advantage.

I'll say this, Butler did one of the smartest things I have seen in their game the other day...
That is pretty smart. On a related end-of-half strategy, I've wondered why more college teams don't think 2-for-1 when they have the ball with about 50 seconds left. It seems there's little appreciation for that nuance ...

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I like the rule.
I don't like the NBA rule where you can call a timeout, then inbound from midcourt. That one makes NO sense.

I like the rule.
I don't like the NBA rule where you can call a timeout, then inbound from midcourt. That one makes NO sense.
Agree 100%

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I like the rule.

That rule sucks and needs to be abolished.

I like the rule.
I believe Michigan tried it against us once and Sherman Douglas stole the ball for a layup

It amazes me how many people who make comments on this board who don't have a clue! You must be a casual fan or student, we all have different knowledge about the game and the rules! My apologies to all the people that I confused! In the future, I will tag my posts with (basketball knowledge required)

The gibberish referred to was not about your excellent post, but this...a shortened version

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 8WSzj/t/HZs3f4M/uQha1/B7/AG/Eyv8A8i2/1fkZH/5n1D67+5XGtU//APPeP/tQhYdTf9p//9k.

Allowing the roll also gives the opponent plenty of time to position its players.

I don't see how token pressure takes us that much out of our defense relative to how it may pressure the opponent to speed up.
The opponent needs a minimum of two players in the backcourt.
We only need one to apply necessary pressure.
So on the defensive end of the court we would have a 4 on 3 advantage.
When you're playng zone that's no advantage. They pick it up and rifle a pass to the zone of our guy in the back court and we're screwed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom