Ron Thompson enters NFL Draft | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Ron Thompson enters NFL Draft

CousCuse said:
He was double and triple teamed all game long. Get a clue.
So were Freeney and Jones. And a number of other great SU DEs. Get a clue.

Last edited:
Exactly...
Can Ron:
Increase his draft stock? No...
Lose a year of earnings/injure himself? Yes...
Good luck Ron...
That's ridiculous- why can't he increase his draft stock with another year in the program?

So were Freeney and Jones. And a number of other great SU DEs. Get a clue.

Agreed. That's kind of what happens when you are a dominant DE... and the best ones find ways to overcome that for a handful of plays per game, despite the added attention.

That's all it takes for great DEs to make an impact on the game. A couple of plays where their sheer athleticism enables them to make plays that others don't.

Last edited:
That's ridiculous- why can't he increase his draft stock with another year in the program?
Ron's draft ceiling is locked by his size, or lack thereof. He's a tweener DE, that will not change by staying for his senior season. Don't get me wrong, I think Ron will succeed in the NFL, but he will be one of those late round or free agent gems...

I'm Very sad (and a little scared) to see him go but I can't be mad at a kid who chooses to try and get paid instead of playing for free. Being a broke college student sucks.

CALLING ALL 4 STAR DE RECRUITS - COME TO CUSE AND PLAY WEEK 1

He is living the dream! We should all be so lucky! Good luck to him I hope he has a great NFL career

If a team believes he's talented enough to be a 1-3 round pick with another year of seasoning, that actually encourages them to draft him.
But if they think they can get that talent in a later round they will. The NFL doesn't draft on potential like the NBA.

He is gonna be a guy who spends a year or two on a Practice Squad before he dresses for real games. If he lands in the right spot with a good franchise who can bring him along slowly he could be a decent NFL player in 2-3 years. Problem is if he is draft no team will have patience like that for a couple years as they want an impact in year one or two. As an undrafted free agent though teams will have no problem hiding him on a practice squad and bringing him along.

Exactly. Freeney had sacked Micheal Vick 4 times in a game and I think had double digit sacks when he got injured as a junior. He did ok coming back for his senior year.

Ron is a high level athlete , close to Freeney.
He's not close to Freeney in anything. Freeney ran one of the fastest 40 times by a DE in combine history and had a polished skillset. He let the NCAA in sacks as a senior. The only thing Ron has over Freeney is height and that is pretty much meaningless. I wish him well but it was a poor decision.

But he rarely came up big in big situations.

Show me.

He's too small to be a good DE in the NFL.

The ignorance with some people on this board is astounding. Astounding.
Kinda funny considering the NFL's current sack leader is 6'3 250. I'm not saying RT will do anything, but, it's not cut and dry because of just the size factor.

*ignorance... Ironic

He is very similar to Chandler Jones...im not sure why soo many people don't think he has a chance.

I think we have to see how he does when testing before we go too far. He's clearly no DF. As for Chandler Jones - he seems to make many more plays in the pros then I remember him making for us on the hill.

Exactly. Freeney had sacked Micheal Vick 4 times in a game and I think had double digit sacks when he got injured as a junior. He did ok coming back for his senior year.
You're wrong...DF was credited with 4.5 sacks on Vick ;-)

Even though we lost, that was a GREAT college FB game and the best I've seen in person. DF was in a league of his own.

Ron is a high level athlete , close to Freeney.

Let's not get crazy...he is 20 lbs lighter than Freeney and half a second slower in the 40 and most NFL guys on the planet aren't as strong as Freeney.

What did he have...12 sacks in his career in the most attacking defensive scheme most folks have seen, Freeney had that in his last 6 games.

Maybe the kid just doesn't want to be in school anymore? We're so quick to apply our logic to other people. Sucks for us, but that's not what he should be using to make his life decisions. I'm confident he will earn more than the average 4-year su student next year. He will have a chance to play/learn in the NFL. That's not a bad deal.

He is very similar to Chandler Jones...im not sure why soo many people don't think he has a chance.

He is not anywhere near the physical spcimen that Chandler was/is. Chandler has the longest limbs with strength along with them, he regularly overpowered or broke through double teams with speed/strength. He never disappeared during games like Ron does.

No comparison.

Chandler is the best edge rusher on the 14-1 patriots headed to the playoffs, Ron is the best edge rusher on a 4-8 SU football team that couldn't get out of it's own way.

Wish you good luck Ron! Would love to have seen you stay that last year but understand. Get stronger, quicker and do Syracuse proud.

This was the expected move.

He'll be 23 years old when camps open in August - he's no kid.

He's a great athlete.

But he seems injury prone and I wonder if he has the motor that a DE needs at the next level.

Lets hope that he turns out to be another SU Football NFL legend!

So should he buy a home in New Jersey now as Im sure Tom Coughin will scoop him up in the 7th round or have a signing bonus waiting for him as a UFA!

If a team believes he's talented enough to be a 1-3 round pick with another year of seasoning, that actually encourages them to draft him.
I think you're missing the point that he hasn't done enough in college to make a team believe he is talented enough to be a 1-3 round pick. Many here (including me) believe he hasn't shown enough and would benefit by coming back next year and prove that he has that talent. But, it's his choice and I wish him well.

Ron's draft ceiling is locked by his size, or lack thereof. He's a tweener DE, that will not change by staying for his senior season. Don't get me wrong, I think Ron will succeed in the NFL, but he will be one of those late round or free agent gems...
Totally disagree- a good senior season with another year to develop physically is always possible, if not likely. Nobody is locked into anything.

Deano said:
I don't get this move either. Another year and he would improve his stock. Hopefully he didn't get the same advice from the person who told Eskridge to declare year too.

I agree especially if we can get a winning team on the field immediate Draft stock improvement. Plus with the new pace of play there are going to be a ton more stats available more possesions means more tackles and sacks. Id Take out an insurance policy ( which the school could pay for based on TAMU precedent right?) And try to raise my stock with one more year its hard to stick on an NFL team as a lower round pick.

I hope you change your mind Ron but if you don't go kill it at the Combine and make us proud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom