Room at the Inn | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Room at the Inn

Do transfers count against your 25 per year allotment?

Transfers, JUCO's, and Freshmen all count the same.

This is why we were short handed during Marrone's first 2 seasons. Players were leaving at a faster rate than they could be replaced.

I do not believe transfers count towards the 25.

I was told that they count, and here's why:

What would prevent a school from bringing in 25 new freshmen AND another 10-15 transfers every year, and kicking off some of the players they didn't like anymore?

Granted, scholarships are on a year-to-year basis and have to be renewed every season, but without the 25 limit rule, you'd be encouraging schools to hit the free agent market and remake their rosters every off-season.

What would prevent a school from bringing in 25 new freshmen AND another 10-15 transfers every year, and kicking off some of the players they didn't like anymore?

Granted, scholarships are on a year-to-year basis and have to be renewed every season, but without the 25 limit rule, you'd be encouraging schools to hit the free agent market and remake their rosters every off-season.

Nothing prevents that from happening now though, and it does, especially in the sec, even with a 25 rule. U also have to stay under 85 to. And remember transfers have to sit out a year - thats the penalty for transfers so there isnt a free agent market. I'd have to go check the rule book but I've never known transfers to be included in the 25.

Would have to include granting walk ons scholarships in this mix to then.

Shacor Hamilton@TraFreakck
I guess its Syracuse University for me if i play my cards right , I gotta ball out at Junior college in the classroom & the field

Looks like a kid headed to Juco who we may be interesed in...

Shacor Hamilton@TraFreakck
I guess its Syracuse University for me if i play my cards right , I gotta ball out at Junior college in the classroom & the field

Looks like a kid headed to Juco who we may be interesed in...

Shacor Hamilton (ATH)
47904hamil.jpg
Class: 2013 Ht: 5-9 Wt: 160 40 time: 4.4
School: Haverford HS Hometown: Haverford, PA
arrow-dn.gif
Interest/Offers

Rutgers
level-2.gif
Medium Interest Level

Bio

A blazing fast skilled athlete, who could play a number of position. His 33-inch vertical outscores his

By my reading of the rulebook, transfers do count toward the 25 limit. The limit is on "initial counters" which is basically anyone receiving a scholarship in that sport for the first time. The only exception I saw that dealt with transfers is if a kid transfers out to a JUCO and then transfers back, he is not counted against the 25 limit when he returns.

By my reading of the rulebook, transfers do count toward the 25 limit. The limit is on "initial counters" which is basically anyone receiving a scholarship in that sport for the first time. The only exception I saw that dealt with transfers is if a kid transfers out to a JUCO and then transfers back, he is not counted against the 25 limit when he returns.

15.5.1.10.1 Limitation on Number of National Letter of Intent/Offer of Financial Aid Signings—
Bowl Subdivision Football. [FBS]

In bowl subdivision football, there shall be an annual limit of 25 on the number of prospective student-athletes who may sign a National Letter of Intent or an institutional offer of financial aid.

If we give you financial aid, you count.

Check this out:

15.5.6.3.6 Aid First Awarded After Second Year. [FBS/FCS]

A student-athlete who has been in residence at the certifying institution for at least two academic years may receive athletically related financial aid for the first time without such aid counting as an initial award, provided the aid falls within the overall grant limitation.
(Adopted: 1/11/89, Revised: 1/10/90 effective 8/1/90)

Both Anene and Jarrett were on the team for 2 years as walk-ons, right?

Maybe they don't count towards the 25 limit for 2012 after all?

:bang:

5'7" 145 - gonna guess some of the wives of the board members are bigger than Shacor

Speed can overcome a lot of shortcomings, size being one of them. However, from his film and the fact that he was caught from behind quite a bit I am not sure 4.4 is accurate. On another note did anyone notice in the one clip his team is up 42-0 in the fourth quarter and they are still passing he ball.

Sounds to me it was like somebody said to him, get your grades in order, get bigger and stronger and lets talk in two years to see where you are at... No harm no foul, I don't get much out of film watching because quite frankly many look the same to me, but what I saw there was a small kid with average speed.

Coaches like to stay positive, keep kids moving in the right direction, even if he never plays at Cuse who knows what hard work, good grades, etc will do for the kids in 2 years. Only way to operate

Check this out:

15.5.6.3.6 Aid First Awarded After Second Year. [FBS/FCS]

A student-athlete who has been in residence at the certifying institution for at least two academic years may receive athletically related financial aid for the first time without such aid counting as an initial award, provided the aid falls within the overall grant limitation.
(Adopted: 1/11/89, Revised: 1/10/90 effective 8/1/90)

Both Anene and Jarrett were on the team for 2 years as walk-ons, right?

Maybe they don't count towards the 25 limit for 2012 after all?

:bang:
Just reading what you posted, but Anene and Jarrett didn't have to be on the team, but full time students at the univ. to start receiving financial aid and not count.

Just reading what you posted, but Anene and Jarrett didn't have to be on the team, but full time students at the univ. to start receiving financial aid and not count.

In the big picture, it doesn't matter one way or another this year.

Let's say that 2 of the January enrollees can count towards the 2012 class. We'll still hit the 85 max limit long before we run up against the 25 annual limit. There would have to be at least 5-7 "unexpected departures" before we use up all 25 slots in the Class of 2013.

The 85 number is the important one.

65 returning players + 20 current commits = 85.

If we're still looking at recruits then there must be a few departures that haven't been officially announced yet. Or a few commits are waffling or won't qualify.

Relax, the numbers always work out. :)

Coaching staff always knows who is not coming back, being invited back, etc. It always works out. A&M has 32 kids committed.

Let's say that 2 of the January enrollees can count towards the 2012 class. We'll still hit the 85 max limit long before we run up against the 25 annual limit. There would have to be at least 5-7 "unexpected departures" before we use up all 25 slots in the Class of 2013.

The 85 number is the important one.

Relax, the numbers always work out. :)
Agreed we'll hit the 85 before the 25. I'm plenty relaxed, was just responding to what you had said. Moving on.. lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom