Rooting for Dino and the team | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Rooting for Dino and the team

Since you asked, and I can see other than the likes you received, no one responded. So, I guess I'll expose myself.

Your last sentence carries the word "simple" in it...if only it was that "simple." Yes, in a vacuum, or a 100% compartmentalizing standpoint, I'd completely agree. However, it's difficult to be "all in" on this 'simplicity' principle because of how that could easily, let's just say, muddy up the waters. Especially, when one considers the ways in which SU has and does typically roll, etc.

If SU were to win out, go 7-5 to finish the regular season, gets to a bowl, etc., now what? It could happen, and not because of some significant righting of the ship so to speak. Beating two teams in Pitt and Wake that are just, simply bad, and, a mediocre GT team isn't that much of a feat, at least not in my view.

Therefore, I'm not a fan at this point of anything that can muddy up the waters that may inspire SU to keep Babers on board. And, if they don't fire him, they likely would have to commit to some type of extension, etc., otherwise the continued uncertainty and speculation likely will be used against and hurt SU relative to future recruiting, etc.
You are looking deeper than needed. This game is not going to change any perceptions at this point. Also if you want to go deeper, more power to you but just do it in another thread where everyone else is going deeper? This thread was not opened for complaints or misgivings to be discussed. So why go there?

The problem I feel is people think another coach can’t come in here and be 7-5? I mean the ACC has a lot of lousy teams.
Yupppp, I mean let’s be honest. If Dino goes 7-5 regular season, wins bowl game to go 8-5, that’s 2 wins better than last year. Cupcake schedule next year. It would be tough for the AD to let Dino go

It's time for Dino to go, whether 'SU' (not 'he') wins out or not. Having him around next year would be pretty lame.

We just beat a 2-7 team. Let's not start acting like there is any valid argument for Dinos retention as SU HC next year.

Literally the only argument is that SU won't spend the money to do it.

Not a single person here ever roots against SU.

It's time for Dino to go, whether 'SU' (not 'he') wins out or not. Having him around next year would be pretty lame.

We just beat a 2-7 team. Let's not start acting like there is any valid argument for Dinos retention as SU HC next year.

Literally the only argument is that SU won't spend the money to do it.

Not a single person here ever roots against SU.
Agreed. I can't root against my team... ever.

It'll be interesting to see a similar offense as today in next week's game. I'll be there (look for the guy in the Orange shirt or jacket!) and expect a much more interesting game than SU's last visit.

I'd like to see a coaching change for next year, but I'll be supporting the current team for the rest of the season.

Hope to see you there!

I’ll always hope for a Syracuse win. That never will change. If we finish 7-5 and win a bowl game; that’s a big deal. But the long term future & lack of consistency concerns me.

I’ll always hope for a Syracuse win. That never will change. If we finish 7-5 and win a bowl game; that’s a big deal. But the long term future & lack of consistency concerns me.
The long term does not look bright with the roster as currently constructed. We need an ACC starting caliber QB from the portal this off-season as job number one. And then we need to upgrade several areas in a big way. Although the schedule is agreeable, I don’t have confidence in this team next year at all. In the meantime, let’s continue to cheer for the current team until the last whistle sounds.

I'm equally concerned with the next coach being another Robinson and its going from 6-6 P to 2-10 G Rob.

If Al Golden is the hire do people fire Dino?

Now does Dino play ball with us and sign a low buyout extension? Or say F you I'll coach as a lame duck? Do we get 3rd year Allen at RB if we keep Dino?

I think our season ended when Shrader started rubbing his elbow vs Purdue. The backups being horrible are on the staff but I think thats an easy problem to fix next year TBH with 3 new QBs maybe 4 who have a shot to start and win the job.

This should be the case for everyone. Problem is, no one trusts SU to do the right thing. How many other P4 schools would still have him as HC right now? Even if he wins out, why would any school keep him with only 1 year left on his contract, looking at the returning talent, and considering the last 97 games?

I will be rooting for us to win out, but I cannot blame anyone who wants us to lose twice to force SU's hand.
Would be totally inexcusable to bring Dino back…. I wouldn’t put it past Wildhack tho. With that being said, with the OP. Totally winnable last two games as well. Dino deserves to go out on a high note - total class act and really good dude

I'm equally concerned with the next coach being another Robinson and its going from 6-6 P to 2-10 G Rob.

If Al Golden is the hire do people fire Dino?

Now does Dino play ball with us and sign a low buyout extension? Or say F you I'll coach as a lame duck? Do we get 3rd year Allen at RB if we keep Dino?

I think our season ended when Shrader started rubbing his elbow vs Purdue. The backups being horrible are on the staff but I think thats an easy problem to fix next year TBH with 3 new QBs maybe 4 who have a shot to start and win the job.

GRob was a bad fit with no plan. But to be fair look at what he was left with on O. Even if Coach P was back we are lucky to get to 3 Ws.

I think Golden is a better HC than Dino. I think he is also a better recruiter than Dino. You couldn't say either about GRob on paper vs Coach P before GRob was hired.

The long term does not look bright with the roster as currently constructed. We need an ACC starting caliber QB from the portal this off-season as job number one. And then we need to upgrade several areas in a big way. Although the schedule is agreeable, I don’t have confidence in this team next year at all. In the meantime, let’s continue to cheer for the current team until the last whistle sounds.
A portal QB appears to be necessary for next year.

A great QB & Gadsden follow up have committed in this year's recruiting class.. If they stick then they could be starters in 2025. Definitely need some OL recruits.

If the team wins out (7-5, 8-5) it'll be awkward to ditch Dino, no matter how much people wanted it to happen after the BCU fiasco. A short-term extension (2 years?) with an affordable buy-out could be in the making.

GRob was a bad fit with no plan. But to be fair look at what he was left with on O. Even if Coach P was back we are lucky to get to 3 Ws.
My memory is fuzzy. Isn’t the assumption that team would have had Ray Rice?

My memory is fuzzy. Isn’t the assumption that team would have had Ray Rice?

He would have been RB #2. He is getting us a bunch of Ws on his own? We had no QB and no WRs in 2004 which is part of the reason we lost so many games. On top of that Coach P had no clue how to stop this new Spread O thing. Even when he coached at UConn he got torched by those systems. It was time to move on. The late hire and no use of fit is what caused GRob. That wouldn't be the case this time.

Yeah kids played well, will always root for them. However, a gimmicky win against a 2-7 squad doesn't erase the 5 game national TV blowout streak that were an utter embarrassment. Or his overall record or horrible recruiting classes. Dino still needs to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom