Rosie wants to bring a D-League team to Rochester | Syracusefan.com

Rosie wants to bring a D-League team to Rochester

Or put the D League team in a town thats had a professional basketball team.

Rochester has 1 Million people in the Metro. Blue Cross Arena is first rate. Rochester has no other basketball to follow other than the NBA and the Orange. I think they could get 3000 a game if the team is decent.

Or put the D League team in a town thats had a professional basketball team.
Then they would fit the bill. They were a NBA team in the 50's called the Rochester Royals.

Then they would fit the bill. They were a NBA team in the 50's called the Rochester Royals.
The 1951 NBA champion Rochester Royals would kick the Spurs and Heats' behinds in the same night.

The 1951 NBA champion Rochester Royals would kick the Spurs and Heats' behinds in the same night.

Quick, which one is Red Holzman? (hint: look for one who's 5' - "10) :)

BtWuMCWkKGrHqUOKjsEvPZQCg1BL9RLq_35-12jnfbz.jpg

Should bring a team to Syracuse instead. Would love to see former Cuse players still in uniform. Build a brand for 4 years and then they are gone.

Rochestertonians come to Syracuse to watch the Orange, not a D league team OR at the least make a ticket package deal with SU to take advantage and cultivate more regional fans.

Rochestertonians come to Syracuse to watch the Orange, not a D league team.

You don't need to fill a 20K seat venue to have a succesful minor league team. A Syracuse D-League team would do fine in the stands. If you could get the War Memorial and Syracuse University (practice facility) on board it would be one of the better operations at that level.

Rochester's arena is so much better than the War Memorial. No NBA team is signing up to play there and it's a miracle Dolgon has kept the Crunch for this long. Syracuse missed the boat on a downtown arena/ballpark. Plenty of room for minor league sports to co-exist with SU.

Rochestertonians come to Syracuse to watch the Orange, not a D league team OR at the least make a ticket package deal with SU to take advantage and cultivate more regional fans.
i bet the d league would do alright and not really compete with SU as long as the tickets were cheap

this is where i would make some demographics point if i weren't terrified

Methinks that Lawrence Moten might disagree.
Yes, I know he has a team...but hopefully they make a deal if the D league comes in and they move the franchise. BTW, Lawrence did a real nice job with them. Maybe he could get a Coaching Position with the new team.

I am surprised it's been this quiet about Lawrence for this long. Rumors are that he is no longer with the team. We all know he was not with the team during the playoffs, and he cancelled an appearance he had scheduled at the end of April. He also was not in the picture that the team took with Rochester mayor Lovely Warren just recently. Heard a bunch of rumors he was let go, but could never confirm it.

This is news to me about Lawrence...hope it is nothing serious.

Rochester's arena is so much better than the War Memorial. No NBA team is signing up to play there and it's a miracle Dolgon has kept the Crunch for this long. Syracuse missed the boat on a downtown arena/ballpark. Plenty of room for minor league sports to co-exist with SU.

Has the Rochester economy, which foundered for a while, gotten back up on its feet, so to speak? It would be quite a boost for civic pride there, I would think.

Rochester has 1 Million people in the Metro. Blue Cross Arena is first rate. Rochester has no other basketball to follow other than the NBA and the Orange. I think they could get 3000 a game if the team is decent.
Rochester cares about things like the park ave fest, Monroe avenue and the arts. they barely care about basketball, and no one cares about the d-league. 3000 a night? come on man. the d-league is not the minor league to the nba, it is the guys that aren't good enough for the nba and cant get contracts in Europe or elsewhere, don't act like it is triple-a basketball.

Rochester cares about things like the park ave fest, Monroe avenue and the arts. they barely care about basketball, and no one cares about the d-league. 3000 a night? come on man. the d-league is not the minor league to the nba, it is the guys that aren't good enough for the nba and cant get contracts in Europe or elsewhere, don't act like it is triple-a basketball.

Boeheim and John Wallace are both from Rochester, so there's certainly some basketball happening somewhere around there. It's worth the try, I'd wager.