Roster expectations for 20-21 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Roster expectations for 20-21

The biggest wrinkle will be - does Griffin get the waiver?
And assuming so, does that mean whomever of Marek & Q comes off the bench (i'd be the latter), will still get some decent minutes?
i think griffin is the perfect bench piece and i would sell him not on replacing elijah but rather on the role that dion waiters played into the 4th overall draft pick. he can functionally sub in for 3 positions which opens the opportunity for starters minutes while not starting.

I am concerned Edwards transfers because I just don’t see playing time for him this year. I guess time will tell

Any projection that has Jackson playing less than 38 minutes a game merits healthy skepticism.

Edwards has skills,he just needs to let his body develop and redshirting is best for his future and the teams going forward.

Braswell and Ajak say hi. Edwards need to work on his body and Newton is blocked. They’re taking redshirts. Hopefully one or both get the NBA interested while on the hill.
First of all, appreciate the thread ... one of the perks of having the roster finally set. The main question marks for me are SF and backup Center. If Griff gets a waiver, as a top-10 transfer, slasher and outside sniper he starts at the 3. However Braswell says hi to your "0-3". If his legs are fresh he can shoot it and has the length to rebound the position better than Griff (who's 6'5). It'll be his third year in the program ... if he hits the glass I think JB will play him 5-6 minutes a half.

The second variable is Frank can fill the hole the staff was anxious to plug - a backup center who's physically ready to protect the rim and relieve MD of the ordeal of playing the 5 in the ACC at < 190 pounds. That won't leave a lot of time for Edwards/JBA - who could split backup minutes or (for Edwards) use the year to grow into his body. Based on those assumptions I'm shooting the moon and projecting 9-deep this year:

PG - JG3 (31m)
SG - Buddy (32m)
SF - AG (24m)
PF - MD (26m)
C - Sid (25m)

KR - 17
Bras - 11
QG - 21
FA - 13

Edwards RS or 0-5
Newton RS or 0-5
JBA 0-4

Last edited:
First of all, appreciate the thread ... one of the perks of having the roster finally set. The main question marks for me are SF and backup Center. If Griff gets a waiver, as a top-10 transfer, slasher and outside sniper he starts at the 3. However Braswell says hi to your "0-3". If his legs are fresh he can shoot it and has the length to rebound the position better than Griff (who's 6'5). It'll be his third year in the program ... if he hits the glass I think JB will play him.

The second variable is how quickly Frank adjusts to the zone. Based on limited film, he's athletic enough to protect the rim and relieve MD of the ordeal of playing center in the ACC at < 190 pounds. That won't leave a lot of time for Edwards - who could split backup minutes or use the year to grow into his body. Based on those assumptions I'm shooting the moon with RF and projecting 9-deep this year:

PG - JG3 (31m)
SG - Buddy (32m)
SF - AG (24m)
PF - MD (26m)
C - Sid (25m)

KR - 17
Bras - 11
QG - 21
FA - 13

Edwards RS or 0-5
Newton RS or 0-5
I’d be shocked if Bras got 11 minutes ...

I’d be shocked if Bras got 11 minutes ...
Well ... you might be shocked. He averaged 7 minutes hurt, although it was early season. He's had a year to rest, work on his strength and practice. Based on JB's gestures he wasn't aggressive enough on the glass (the shin issues didn't help). But if he's healthy this year he'll have JB's confidence. Appreciate your take. We'll see.

Last edited:
Well ... you might be shocked. He averaged 7 minutes hurt, although it was early season. He's had a year to rest, work on his strength and practice. Based on JB's gestures I gather he wasn't aggressive enough on the glass (he shin issues didn't help). But if he's healthy this year he'll have JB's confidence. Appreciate your take. We'll see.
JB told wanted him to come back. He has a role

Marek, Buddy, Girard, will all average 30+ mpg. Sidibe would if he didn’t foul so much.

Well ... you might be shocked. He averaged 7 minutes hurt, although it was early season. He's had a year to rest, work on his strength and practice. Based on JB's gestures I gather he wasn't aggressive enough on the glass (he shin issues didn't help). But if he's healthy this year he'll have JB's confidence. Appreciate your take. We'll see.
JB told wanted him to come back. He has a role
I personally think his role will be in 2021.

Marek will be gone. One of (or both) QG and Griffin will be gone .

So that leaves us with freshman Benny and sophomore Woody (or RS freshman) at the 3 and 4; maybe JBA? Anselem? Grad transfer?

I honestly see a sizable role for Braswell in 2021.

But Marek and Griffin will get at least 30mpg and I think QG will Have a huge year. There’s definitely the foul trouble question with Marek/QG

Based on those assumptions I'm shooting the moon with RF and projecting 9-deep this year:

This is the only time of year that we go 9-deep.

I like the options and increased flexibility we have next year. I hope JB can find a way to expand the number of guys who play meaningful minutes now that the talent level has improved. I'd like to see Kadary and Frank get some minutes, and see what JBA and Woody can do too. I think Griffin will get his waiver, but if he somehow doesn't then maybe Kadary can play some minutes at the 3 too? Maybe there is a way to try to have Joe and Buddy playing a fair share of minutes, but on the court less as a tandem to improve the defense? I hope Marek NEVER has to play another minute at the 5. Love the guy but he's not a center, and doesn't have the strength to play there. Anyhow, it sure should be fun to see some new blood, and get back to playing hoops!!!

Griffin ain’t coming here to play off the bench.
that is most likely the case.

doesn't change my opinion that he's the perfect bench piece for the roster as constructed

that is most likely the case.

doesn't change my opinion that he's the perfect bench piece for the roster as constructed
Really? On a really good team he’s a great bench piece, but this team isn’t exactly Uber talented at the moment and he is probably our best player

Sid 26
Marek 39
Griff 34
Buddy 36
Joe 34
Quincy 20
Richmond 10
Edwards/Ajak/Anselem 1
I think it’s gonna be hard for JB to keep Richmond off the floor. I think Girard gets more like 25-30 mpg. I think QG gets more time too, so he may take a few mins from Griffin there. Edwards will get more time than 1mpg (at least what he got last year), unless Anselem is ready.

Buddy 40 mpg
Joe G 40 mpg
Marek 40 mpg
Griffin 40 mpg
Sid 15 mpg
QG 20 mpg
Richmond 5 mpg
how does richmond get 5 minutes when 120 minutes of 1-3 filled

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member