Roster Math | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Roster Math

I am a cuse basketball fan so don’t shoot the messenger for not knowing the ins and outs of y’all system. I do watch y’all from time to time whenever I’m waiting on Florida to play. But why don’t y’all go after franks? He’s got a cannon. He’s looking for a home. He’s tall and can run. Granted he looks like a baby giraffe while running. But he can do it. Is he not a system fit with Dino? Or are y’all looking for a guy with a couple years left?

I am a cuse basketball fan so don’t shoot the messenger for not knowing the ins and outs of y’all system. I do watch y’all from time to time whenever I’m waiting on Florida to play. But why don’t y’all go after franks? He’s got a cannon. He’s looking for a home. He’s tall and can run. Granted he looks like a baby giraffe while running. But he can do it. Is he not a system fit with Dino? Or are y’all looking for a guy with a couple years left?
QB depth on scholarship right now is RS Jr, RS Sr, RS Fr. Need a younger guy in there.

QB depth on scholarship right now is RS Jr, RS Sr, RS Fr. Need a younger guy in there.

gotcha. The only reason I brought it up was cause I read the 247 post for 10 people that would sense and majority of the qb’s were grad transfer except yellen

gotcha. The only reason I brought it up was cause I read the 247 post for 10 people that would sense and majority of the qb’s were grad transfer except yellen
I mean, there is a need for a guy who can step in and reliably play. So a Grad Transfer makes sense. Franks would be a heck of a get, but I don't see him coming in as a presumed back up.

Take a grad this year for depth plus a PWO. Sign two HS kids in the next class .

From his perspective coming into this system with limited time to win the job against an incumbent who's strength is the ability to deliver an accurate, well-thrown ball would be a gamble. Franks, like any similar grad-transfer, is going to want a situation with a high probability to start. Syracuse probably isn't his best option for a number of reasons. This system ideally needs a qb who can operate mentally and physically at a high pace, identify coverages and most importantly match-ups pre-snap, be decisive and get the ball out quickly and accurately, at high volume.
I think he could come in and actually win the job, but it would require him to throw the ball at a very high level, which just isn't his game. Franks is best in a system where he can improvise and rely on his athleticism to make plays. He can attack defenses down field, but there are very limited opportunities to do that in Babers system, especially for a qb that can't move the ball by executing the mid-range spread and stretch concepts that are the bread and butter. Not his best option, imho.

Trying to reconcile where we stand in terms of available spots going into the second signing period and struggling to figure out the numbers. Both the exhaustive Scholarship Rundown thread from OrangeXtreme and the What's next column on syracuse.com by Stephen Bailey list 60 potential returnees. Bailey doesn't list the players but OrangeXtreme does. I am probably missing something but the two players I don't see are Kevin Mital and Ishmael Goulbourne. Are they still with the program?

The receiver

of
@AndreGrasset
Kevin Mital returns to Quebec. After committing to
@CuseFootball
in the NCAA he'll be back to univ. RSEQ Laval was his 1st choice in Quebec before leaving, but Mr. Iadeluca (UdeM) was in Grasset with him. To be continued!

3 open schollies as of now for this year... Time to hit the portal?

3 open schollies as of now for this year... Time to hit the portal?

Well, if nothing else it gives the coaching staff flexibility. If there's someone out there who would qualitatively add to the talent, then they can move swiftly to try to bring them in. Leave no stone unturned.

And if not, then there's nothing wrong with stockpiling it for next year.

I’m hoping we get three commits in the next week.

Looking at the break down I figured maybe only one more wr in this class. That may change now.

I do see maybe 1 more te/wr type player. I feel that is the way we may be going.

if the three commit. That would leave 10 spots unless they sign 30 this cycle (new rule). Here is the break down.

2 OL
4-5 DL
1 wr
1 te/wr
1 DB

I know we already have a number of DL commits but I see even more being brought in this class.

I’m hoping we get three commits in the next week.

Looking at the break down I figured maybe only one more wr in this class. That may change now.

I do see maybe 1 more te/wr type player. I feel that is the way we may be going.

if the three commit. That would leave 10 spots unless they sign 30 this cycle (new rule). Here is the break down.

2 OL
4-5 DL
1 wr
1 te/wr
1 DB

I know we already have a number of DL commits but I see even more being brought in this class.
30? Since when. It's 25 per class. 85 total Scholarships. If there is a new rule, post it please.

That was his first college choice IF he stayed in Canada. They left the IF out.
I wonder if he never blended in. He arrived late and English was his 2nd language...then Covid-19 hit. Wonder if academics were an issue too? We never knew you, Kevin.

I like saving a couple scholarships for walk-ons who prove themselves. Need to keep incentivizing walking on.