roster spots 11-13 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

roster spots 11-13

Should the coaches fill out the roster (spots 11-13) even if it is only with "supplemental" players?

• Total voters
I hope Cuse takes a look at Javonte Brown, transfer center from Western Michigan. It looks like he has at least two years of eligibility remaining and is originally from Toronto.

Worst case is he is practice fodder for a year and either shows little promise and transfers down, or just takes up the roster spot. Best case is he does show the ability to compete, looks at the 2025-26 prospective roster and sees the opportunity and becomes a solid contributor who has a year of experience in Red’s system. Either case is better than leaving the spot open and hoping you can grab two portal centers next time around.

Patterson returning may well fit the bill.
I'd argue the worst case is actually something we've seen repeatedly, where the player is practice fodder but thinks they are more than that and ends up causing problems. Ideally the staff would screen for that kind of thing, but even if they do, it doesn't always work as planned.

I'm not saying that by itself is reason enough not to go after anyone, but my general thought is if that if we're in a position to have to rely on this type of player they aren't going to be good enough to save us so it doesn't really make a difference either way. YMMV.

If the staff has a role for Patterson (seems they do, practice C) and he's interested in filling it, I don't see why not.

Last edited:
I hate guns so no.

What have we gotten out of giving schollies to guys like Paterson or Carey? Not much. One of those games in Hawaii Carey came in and it was close and he just got abused the other team was shooting free throws missed and his pathetic attempt for a rebound was so bad they got an and 1 off a missed FT. No thanks.

I'd just chop up the scholarships between the walkons. I assume basketball can share them because sports like Lax and Soccer divide 10/12 among a 40 person roster (that said how many dudes are suited up on our sideline for lacrosse IDK why the hell the team is so big) there is no reason to develop players for other programs.
Not so.

I'd argue the worst case is actually something we've seen repeatedly, where the player is practice fodder but thinks they are more than that and ends up causing problems. Ideally the staff would screen for that kind of thing, but even if they do, it doesn't always work as planned.

I'm not saying that by itself is reason enough not to go after anyone, but my general thought is if that if we're in a position to have to rely on this type of player they aren't going to be good enough to save us so it doesn't really make a difference either way. YMMV.

If the staff has a role for Patterson (seems they do, practice C) and he's interested in filling it, I don't see why not.
I guess I am not quite in touch with the brave new world but I get a little anxious when I look ahead 10 months from now and see there are zero players committed or on the roster who can even be an emergency center. Ideally you want three, two is very precarious and to think you can fill all of those spots out of the portal is really fantasy. Would feel okay if there were two or three Class of ‘25 high potential recruits at the position that we have a decent chance at, but I have seen no evidence of that either.

I think that's a good point except I was hoping that we could still get a starting PG from the portal after whiffing on Leffew. Doesn't look like that's happening so I will get behind Carlos and/or whatever else we throw at that position. I would be lying though if I didn't say I was concerned.
i mean yeah...would be nice...i agree with you

the way I look at, in order of preference:

option A - get good players
option B - get developmental players
option C - leave the spots empty and pray for no injuries

That's why you need established leaders on the team. Other players should keep a guy like that in line. "You think you're good enough to play? Bring it next practice. Then, when I make you look silly, you can sit your butt down and shut your pie hole."

Developmental players don't stay so it's not worth investing in them. Every player on the roster gets NIL $. In the new world it makes more sense to spend your NIL $ among fewer players who actually play and make a difference. Seems that is the way some coaches are going and may only have a roster of 10/11.
that'd penny wise, pound foolish

it's not only about the investment...but what they can offer this year...insurance for injuries and fouls...

a 10 man roster can get thin and dicey real quick

I hope Cuse takes a look at Javonte Brown, transfer center from Western Michigan. It looks like he has at least two years of eligibility remaining and is originally from Toronto.

Javonte Brown​

He's 7' 255.

Started his career at UConn in 20-21, didn't play... Transferred to Texas A&M, didn't play much for two years, them went to Western Michigan, where he played 15 minutes and didn't start. Scored 8.8 and pulled down 4.2 in those 15 minutes. Definitely didn't look like he belonged on a mid major.

I don't know his story, but he got the COVID year and a redshirt along the way. With two years of eligibility, he might be good McLeod and Lampkin insurance next year, with the inside track to being either a starter or the primary backup as a sixth year senior.

Nothing special, but you can't teach 7' 255.

I guess I am not quite in touch with the brave new world but I get a little anxious when I look ahead 10 months from now and see there are zero players committed or on the roster who can even be an emergency center. Ideally you want three, two is very precarious and to think you can fill all of those spots out of the portal is really fantasy. Would feel okay if there were two or three Class of ‘25 high potential recruits at the position that we have a decent chance at, but I have seen no evidence of that either.
I hope that we don't, but we are known to play forwards at center whether we have centers on the bench or not.

I don’t have the time right now but how many other power 5 schools have 3 roster spots open?

Seems high to me but I don’t know what impact the new way of the world of NIL & transfer portal has had on roster completion at the highest levels of college basketball.

Last edited:
Developmental players don't stay so it's not worth investing in them. Every player on the roster gets NIL $. In the new world it makes more sense to spend your NIL $ among fewer players who actually play and make a difference. Seems that is the way some coaches are going and may only have a roster of 10/11.

JB was so ahead of his time. ;):p

Javonte Brown​

He's 7' 255.

Started his career at UConn in 20-21, didn't play... Transferred to Texas A&M, didn't play much for two years, them went to Western Michigan, where he played 15 minutes and didn't start. Scored 8.8 and pulled down 4.2 in those 15 minutes. Definitely didn't look like he belonged on a mid major.

I don't know his story, but he got the COVID year and a redshirt along the way. With two years of eligibility, he might be good McLeod and Lampkin insurance next year, with the inside track to being either a starter or the primary backup as a sixth year senior.

Nothing special, but you can't teach 7' 255.
we contacted him last year and moved on

Yeah, that's certainly a concern. However, I don't think we really want any guy who doesn't believe he should get minutes. If he's content just being a practice player, I'm not so sure how committed he would be in practice.

Orangemen stat line for 40 years:

11 - DNP-CD
12 - DNP-CD
13 - DNP-CD
College Basketball Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online