Rotation | Syracusefan.com

Rotation

CuseMan4

Starter
Only game 1 and 2 exhibitions. So of course it’s early. But I think we can have a solid rotation here. I think we are going to have a solid big 3 of Edwards, Girard and Mintz. The team will go as those 3 go. Positive from last night. They played really well together. Girard and Mintz played well together in the backcourt and they were both looking for Jesse. Didn’t seem like much was forced and things just flowed well. Can’t say I’ve seen that in awhile from a Syracuse offense so props to them.

Now for the rest of the team. We played 12 guys with 10 guys really in the rotation. I think that obviously tightens up the more the season goes on. I think we will have a solid bench though. I am fine with Bell and Benny starting but I don’t think they will get the start minutes by mid season. I think we will have a solid 3 guys off the bench in Brown, Torrence and Taylor. Hima plays when Jesse is in foul trouble. Carey and Copeland are a year or two out. We know what we have in Jon Bol. Boeheim’s best teams have good players coming off the bench even if they are clearly better than the starter. It’s just like another punch of players coming off the bench. Think Waiter, Grant or Scoop and Joseph. We have that this year. Brown and Taylor are clearly better than Benny. Ideally by mid season I see these guys as the rotation.

Starters
Mintz
Girard
Bell
Benny
Jesse

Bench
Taylor
Brown
Torrence

Crunch time lineup
Mintz
Girard
Torrence
Brown
Jesse

Only game 1 and 2 exhibitions. So of course it’s early. But I think we can have a solid rotation here. I think we are going to have a solid big 3 of Edwards, Girard and Mintz. The team will go as those 3 go. Positive from last night. They played really well together. Girard and Mintz played well together in the backcourt and they were both looking for Jesse. Didn’t seem like much was forced and things just flowed well. Can’t say I’ve seen that in awhile from a Syracuse offense so props to them.

Now for the rest of the team. We played 12 guys with 10 guys really in the rotation. I think that obviously tightens up the more the season goes on. I think we will have a solid bench though. I am fine with Bell and Benny starting but I don’t think they will get the start minutes by mid season. I think we will have a solid 3 guys off the bench in Brown, Torrence and Taylor. Hima plays when Jesse is in foul trouble. Carey and Copeland are a year or two out. We know what we have in Jon Bol. Boeheim’s best teams have good players coming off the bench even if they are clearly better than the starter. It’s just like another punch of players coming off the bench. Think Waiter, Grant or Scoop and Joseph. We have that this year. Brown and Taylor are clearly better than Benny. Ideally by mid season I see these guys as the rotation.

Starters
Mintz
Girard
Bell
Benny
Jesse

Bench
Taylor
Brown
Torrence

Crunch time lineup
Mintz
Girard
Torrence
Brown
Jesse
Agree mostly. I actually think Hima and Copeland will get minutes this year. I do think the crunch time is their best 5, but wonder who plays the backline when they inevitably go back to playing zone (good to see some MTM still will see more zone though). I guess it will have to be Mintz in that case.

I think that 1-3-1 we ran last year with Copeland on the baseline and Judah or Symir on top could be interesting. Hima on the FT line would be a wait and see, but his reach would be effective.

Hima will get minutes every time Jesse sits with foul trouble. The more man to man we play though, the better off that will be for Jesse. He was killed by poor guard defense.
Agreed. Though with Mintz and Torrence being 2 of the 3 playing most of the minutes up top in a zone - guard defense should be better this year.

I see no reason we can’t be a man to man team for a good amount of the time though. We’ve got the athletes to do it. The 100% zone is just washed. Glad we’re adjusting,

Come again?
I’m obviously not saying to that extent…but if you look at the past like 5+ years we literally got no production from our bench. This year I think Torrence, Brown and Taylor will give us a formidable bench. Where we could see 20+ bench points in some games. When was the last time that happened. That’s my point haha

I think it depends on who we are playing and which of our frosh are doing well during a particular game.

Base starters for me would be as jim has them.

Brown
Sy are my top two subs

Next would be Cope and Taylor

Hima of course if Edwards comes out

I’m obviously not saying to that extent…but if you look at the past like 5+ years we literally got no production from our bench. This year I think Torrence, Brown and Taylor will give us a formidable bench. Where we could see 20+ bench points in some games. When was the last time that happened. That’s my point haha
Hima will also play. Same with Copeland. Different guys will play in different games. I don’t think there will be a strict rotation.

Hot take, main lineup for ACC play:
- Mintz, Joe, Symir, Jesse, Hima

Bench
- Brown, and Taylor or Benny
The "Traditionally we are not a good rebounding team, so now we are not even going to pretend to care about it" lineup.

Hot take, main lineup for ACC play:
- Mintz, Joe, Symir, Jesse, Hima

Bench
- Brown, and Taylor or Benny
Exactly what I would do if I were coach. It is the type lineup that worked for Nova and other 3 guard lineups yhat always fedtroy us. Let's not forget Copeland for bench minutes.

Motumbo sat on the bench until Red Auerbach suggested to Big John to start both Motumbo and Ewing. The secret is that Red lived in D.C. Three guards and a Twin Tower, what's not to like?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom