Rothstein on Rak... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Rothstein on Rak...

That's not such a wild claim - a full-time Edelin very possibly would have meant 15 more wins from 2004 to 2006 (I've gone through and counted the possibilities).

I wouldn't say that Wright wouldn't have made the rotation, though - perhaps he just would've developed better on a better team. Funny that he was considered every bit as desirable (by Syracuse, at least), as Price and Lowry.
It's true. Not sure if it would have been 15 for sure, but it definitely changed the complexion of the team. A lot of people underestimated Billy Edelin's worth. People forget how valuable he was to the National Championship. They will mention Melo, GMac, Hak and even Pace and Kueth (although Kueth was also underrated) and forget all about Edelin.

It's true. Not sure if it would have been 15 for sure, but it definitely changed the complexion of the team. A lot of people underestimated Billy Edelin's worth. People forget how valuable he was to the National Championship. They will mention Melo, GMac, Hak and even Pace and Kueth (although Kueth was also underrated) and forget all about Edelin.
Edelin was incredibly important. I don't think 2003 happens without him. Billy and Carmelo were teenagers who played the game like 10 year NBA veterans. Once in a lifetime stuff.

Gerry was suppose to be a 2 guard. Billy was suppose to be point guard. Some of you don't get it. When Billy went GAGA, guess who had to bring the ball up and shoot? Then we recruit a useless Josh Wright and he couldn't run the point. At that point it was impossible to recruit a PG because we already had one who won a national championship and was still here (even though he could not be depended on ) and one on the bench who noone knew sucked. Gerry was forced into a situation to do it all, and should be applauded not bashed. Moqui constantly brings up his flaws, but Gerry did very well considering. It makes my stomach turn when Moqui bashes Gmac and his shooting % when he was made to play PG, bring the ball up, shoot like a dead eye and pass the ball to Mookie Watkins, Terrance Roberts and DNic who all had brickhands. Gmac didn't sign up for all that but NEVER whined. There is more to basketball than shooting % and statistics. With a healthy Edelin , Gmac would have been way better. If stat guys like Moqui don't understand 2FingBad.

Reactions: MCC
He was athletically on there level but his bball IQ is the lowest of any SU player I can recall. Playing should have helped his development like it did for Jonny, J Hart, etc... but never showed a hint of understanding how to run a team.

I'll give him credit for icing the Big East Championship in 2006 with clutch free throws. Beyond that, yeah, he was often a mess out there. Too small for the top of the zone, not enough positives on the offensive end.

I'll give him credit for icing the Big East Championship in 2006 with clutch free throws. Beyond that, yeah, he was often a mess out there. Too small for the top of the zone, not enough positives on the offensive end.

Wright also came up big at the end of the opening round upset over #1 UConn. I vividly recall enjoying that game in a bar during an extended lunch. :)

Wright also came up big at the end of the opening round upset over #1 UConn. I vividly recall enjoying that game in a bar during an extended lunch. :)

Yeah, I think that's right. I was all-in on his future at that point.