Rothstein ranks us 17 for Next Year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rothstein ranks us 17 for Next Year

Also no mention of Symir Torrence.
So I think the omissions balance out with having QG on there, when he’s unlikely to return.

Granted that includes Quincy, but Benny replacing him wouldn’t make a huge difference IMO. This would put us in the mix as one of the best teams in the ACC. Interesting to me that the media seems to have a higher opinion of our team than the fans do.

I think they're just seeing off coming off a Sweet 16 and using that as the base level to project off of. Which I think is a mistake

I saw the same.. for his size he was great...but as the zone asks the forward to come rotate and help down low...he was very ineffective against beef. he did a lot of nice blocks...but otherwise it was easy buckets and offensive boards galore for opponents...he shouldve been playing guard, imo.
Can't play guard with zero handle and very poor decision making. Great 6'3/4ish athlete with limited offensive skills. Basically, he's a spot-up shooter, with very good range, who depends on others to find him open.

Can't play guard with zero handle and very poor decision making. Great 6'3/4ish athlete with limited offensive skills. Basically, he's a spot-up shooter, with very good range, who depends on others to find him open.
given that there were 4 other forwards on the roster...I still play him at guard. its not like he was that bad off the bounce...he woulda gotten a lot better if he was at sg, imo. his decision making was questionalbe but i dont really see decision making at SG being that much more important than it is at SF.

he was better off the bounce than buddy or JG3...the houston loss showed how important it is to have guards who can beat their man off the dribble...AG could do that better than the starting guards.

i think the real rason we didnt see him there is then buddy and jg3 get less minutes on the court.

If I could only choose one player to stay (Q or Frank), it would be Frank. I love what Q brings to the table, but it would be for only one year and I'm HOPING with what we have coming in, we will be okay. Frank, on the other hand, could be huge for us down the road. He could help next year and I would expect somehow he will get minutes which would likely set him up really well the following year(s).

As for the top 25 pre-season ranking, thinking about this more, I can see that. We will likely beat most of the teams who we're favored to beat which would allow us to pile up some wins. However, where I expect we will have problems is against other top 25 teams who have more athleticism and can pressure us, particularly at the guard spot. Also, not having a pg that can break a team's defense down like Kadary did this year, will likely be an issue.

Last edited:
If I could only choose one player to stay (Q or Frank), it would be Frank. I love what Q brings to the table, but it would be for only one year and I'm HOPING with what we have coming in, we will be okay. Frank, on the other hand, could be huge for us down the road. He could help next year and I would expect somehow he will get minutes which would likely set him up really well the following year(s).

As for the top 25 pre-season ranking, thinking about this more, I can see that. We will likely beat most of the teams who we're favored to beat which would allow us to pile up some wins. However, where I expect we will have problems is against other top 25 teams who have more athleticism and can pressure us, particularly at the guard spot. Also, not having a pg that can break a team's defense down like Kadary did this year, will likely be an issue.

So - how is it we all ‘know’ that we don’t have a “pg who can break a team’s defense down” in Symir?

Symir reminds me a bit of Scoop (which for me, is very much a positive thing; others may differ).
And Scoop was clearly more than adequate as a PG in that regard for us.

So - how is it we all ‘know’ that we don’t have a “pg who can break a team’s defense down” in Symir?

Symir reminds me a bit of Scoop (which for me, is very much a positive thing; others may differ).
And Scoop was clearly more than adequate as a PG in that regard for us.

You're absolutely correct. That is definitely a possibility, and I kind of forgot about him to be honest. That's probably because I'm not very confident he will get a lot of run after how Kadary was positioned this year. However, maybe Boeheim will surprise and Symir delivers!

the forwards right now are all 6'8 and 6-9...bigger than last year...I dont see rebounding as a problem...plus, jesse is a much better rebounder than marek. The rebounding will be good...if sidibe plays it will be A LOT better. Plus Frank. The center spot and forward spots will be at least as good as last year...but probably much better. add in another year of experience for joe and buddy...I think bare minimum, last year's level would be worst case scenario...if EVERYTHING goes wrong. otherwise, the team will be better. Guard spot is the weakness, imo. 1 injury there and it is dicey.
I am bullish on Jesse, and I was after last season. If he can get stronger, sky is the limit.

So I think the omissions balance out with having QG on there, when he’s unlikely to return.
You think Torrance will be as impactful as Q would be ?

I’d like to go on record as one who thinks Symir could have the same and perhaps even more of an impact for our team than Kadary. He appears very quick and excellent defensively, and from the vids I’ve watched, is very strong and can take his man off the dribble. And he can definitely pass. In HS at least he could shoot as well, and I think he could get that back with a fresh start. I think we landed a very good one here and hope he gets the chance to shine.

I’d like to go on record as one who thinks Symir could have the same and perhaps even more of an impact for our team than Kadary. He appears very quick and excellent defensively, and from the vids I’ve watched, is very strong and can take his man off the dribble. And he can definitely pass. In HS at least he could shoot as well, and I think he could get that back with a fresh start. I think we landed a very good one here and hope he gets the chance to shine.
I don't mean to be pessimistic but does it matter all that much? He's going to get very limited minutes - Boeheim has made it very clear who the starting PG will be.

I don't mean to be pessimistic but does it matter all that much? He's going to get very limited minutes - Boeheim has made it very clear who the starting PG will be.

Kadary averaged 21 mpg this past season.

Yes, that was slightly inflated due to Buddy missing those few games due to Covid/contract tracing, but that's not nothing.

Boeheim made is clear who his starting PG was this past season, and Kadary still managed over 20 a game.
(and that was with some limitations early due to "conditioning", and later due to injury)

JB isn't committed to playing JGIII for 35+ minutes a game (unlike Buddy).
Joe - even as the starter - only averaged a tad under 28 minutes / game this past season.

He could get very limited minutes, but then again Kadary did end up getting some run and having a player like this for depth is in my opinion a real plus.

Yes, that was slightly inflated due to Buddy missing those few games due to Covid/contract tracing, but that's not nothing.

Boeheim made is clear who his starting PG was this past season, and Kadary still managed over 20 a game.
(and that was with some limitations early due to "conditioning", and later due to injury)

Joe - even as the starter - only averaged a tad under 28 minutes / game this past season.
Averaging 28 minutes a game and you’re clearly inferior to the guy playing behind you isn’t a good defense for JB willing to move the minutes around.

I hear ya' Comstock, but as you very well know, Kadary should have been STARTING. So, I guess 20 minutes is great and all, but he was often the best player on the court. Joe was sometimes a liability (between his chucking and defense), let's not even talk about the West Virginia closing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom