Rothstein's ACC Offseason Breakdown

9. Syracuse

Projected Starting 5:
G Jaquan Carlos
G JJ Starling
Chris Bell
Donnie Freeman
C Eddie Lampkin
Projected Bench: Elijah Moore, Jyare Davis, Lucas Taylor, Kyle Cuffe Jr., Chance Westry

Key Newcomers: Donnie Freeman, Elijah Moore, Eddie Lampkin (Colorado), Jyare Davis (Delaware), Lucas Taylor (Georgia State), Jaquan Carlos (Hofstra)

Key Losses: Judah Mintz, Quadir Copeland, Maliq Brown

9. Syracuse

Projected Starting 5:
G Jaquan Carlos
G JJ Starling
Chris Bell
Donnie Freeman
C Eddie Lampkin
Projected Bench: Elijah Moore, Jyare Davis, Lucas Taylor, Kyle Cuffe Jr., Chance Westry

Key Newcomers: Donnie Freeman, Elijah Moore, Eddie Lampkin (Colorado), Jyare Davis (Delaware), Lucas Taylor (Georgia State), Jaquan Carlos (Hofstra)

Two players I wish we had on this team that I think would have made us a contender for a preseason top 4 ACC ranking:
1.) Eric Reynolds
2.) Maliq Brown
That said, I still think we can be pretty good, hopefully better than 9th place.

Wasn’t that what they thought the women’s team would finish last year?

Big fan of Rothstein. Listen to his weekly pod consistently.
He puts a big emphasis on returning players. If you lose a bunch of key guys, he really holds that against teams. That being said...
He picked Cuse 10th last season, which we know was way off. Record-wise they were tied for 5th, but in the standings they were 7th.
I'm surprised he didn't have us at 11 this season with all that we lost.
He knows his stuff, but he hasn't gotten a good read on Cuse in a few years. He's going to be way off again in this upcoming season.

9. Syracuse

Projected Starting 5:
G Jaquan Carlos
G JJ Starling
Chris Bell
Donnie Freeman
C Eddie Lampkin

Where's Highlander

He picked Cuse 10th last season, which we know was way off.
Way off?

We were 11-9 and 9th was 10-10...10th was 9-11, Final Four team, NC State...and we didnt make the tourney. Seems like it was pretty fair. 7-10 teams were all pretty similar.

I think 9th seems fair this year as well. That said if Carlos is the starter at PG and plays to a higher level than he ever has, could be 6-7 and bubble team easily.

Way off?

We were 11-9 and 9th was 10-10...10th was 9-11, Final Four team, NC State...and we didnt make the tourney. Seems like it was pretty fair. 7-10 teams were all pretty similar.

I think 9th seems fair this year as well. That said if Carlos is the starter at PG and plays to a higher level than he ever has, could be 6-7 and bubble team easily.
And 4th place was 12-8, but yeah you're right, I shouldn't have said "way off." Just some frustration with how the pundits perceive the squad. But, if you have orange-colored glasses on, tied for 5th is much better than 10th. LGO!

Outside of suppressing the gap in information of hoops as kids go back home and waiting for Frans era to start this stuff is useless. The portal era has made these pre season rankings even more pointless.
It’s either this, taxes or toilet habits.

The only thing I will offer is that it seems like a long time since we started a frontline bigger than UNC. Glad to see it.

Way off?

Well, it's a safe bet, considering it's and has generally been our status quo in the ACC since we've been in it, other than that inaugural season.

Mad Men Not Great Bob GIF

It’s either this, taxes or toilet habits.

The only thing I will offer is that it seems like a long time since we started a frontline bigger than UNC. Glad to see it.
My favorite part of this roster is the front court size. Lampkin and McLeod are too big to push around. We're probably going to have the biggest height/weight combination in all of college basketball at the center position.

Freeman, Davis and Bell are good sized forwards as well.

My biggest fear is depth. If any of the centers/forwards get injured, we're looking at the same problems as last season.

Cue Ithaca Matt with his request for a depth 4/5. :)

Picked 11th in The Athletic ACC offseason rankings..

Sparknotes: Donnie one-and-done (could be the best player by season-end), tournament team if things fall correctly, could be 'a year away'

Picked 11th in The Athletic ACC offseason rankings..

Sparknotes: Donnie one-and-done (could be the best player by season-end), tournament team if things fall correctly, could be 'a year away'
These preseason prognosticators don’t know sheise in this portal era.

Past results plus a bunch of new guys and a coach only in year two and it’s a fair prediction. Red can put some of that to rest with a strong season this year and then lock down the big fish for the 25 class.

9. Syracuse

Projected Starting 5:
G Jaquan Carlos
G JJ Starling
Chris Bell
Donnie Freeman
C Eddie Lampkin

Naheem isn’t listed as a bench player?He’s okayed to play isn’t he?

back in the 4 year era...it was hard...but logical and reasonable to do this

now? makes little sense...

but what are these writers supposed to do in the offseason????

these predications are meaningless

And 4th place was 12-8, but yeah you're right, I shouldn't have said "way off." Just some frustration with how the pundits perceive the squad. But, if you have orange-colored glasses on, tied for 5th is much better than 10th. LGO!
In previous years, the difference between12-8 and 10-10 (even 9-11) could be as much schedule driven as other things. Who you play twice in a season can make that 1 or 2 or even 3 game difference. With expansion not so much. Still, SU's home/away of BC/ND/Pitt isn't the toughest and could help get an extra win and a difference of a couple a places in the standings.

9. Syracuse

Projected Starting 5:
G Jaquan Carlos
G JJ Starling
Chris Bell
Donnie Freeman
C Eddie Lampkin

I think Taylor might start over Carlos, although I think Carlos will be the first guard off the bench.

Then who comes in for Starling at the next time-out? Westry? Moore? Cuffe?

My favorite part of this roster is the front court size. Lampkin and McLeod are too big to push around. We're probably going to have the biggest height/weight combination in all of college basketball at the center position.

Freeman, Davis and Bell are good sized forwards as well.

My biggest fear is depth. If any of the centers/forwards get injured, we're looking at the same problems as last season.

Cue Ithaca Matt with his request for a depth 4/5. :)

I think the Serbian kid is a nice piece. Very happy. Looks skilled already, has played pro ball in France at the junior level. Nice baseline moves. Agile, dunks it. Not a 3 point threat, really, but a very good piece. I can see comparisons to a few of our past European imports. I could see him getting some time this year. We don't know if MacLeod is going to stay healthy for the whole year, so this kid was key. That way Donnie doesn't have to play center except for tactical reasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom