Rothstein's ACC Offseason Breakdown | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rothstein's ACC Offseason Breakdown

Good discussion - as has been said here, the major question mark is lack of 'go-to' scorer. Need JJ and/or Bell to take a big step in order for this team to get back to the tourney.

Good discussion - as has been said here, the major question mark is lack of 'go-to' scorer. Need JJ and/or Bell to take a big step in order for this team to get back to the tourney.
Yup, we don't go into the season with a true alpha scorer.

We have a bunch of guys who are going to be good, but they are either unknown or "within the flow of the offense" scorers.

Bell can't penetrate well enough to get the ball in isolation, Lampkin isn't an automatic basket the way you want a center in the post, and Starling picks his spots instead of being a deadly isolation guy. The rest of the team just aren't that level of scorers, although somebody might surprise us during their career (I'm thinking Moore might become great over time.)

My hope is that Freeman becomes that go to guy. He'll be able to either torture a smaller guy in the post, or take a big guy out to the perimeter and go around or shoot over him. If Freeman is an automatic double team, we have plenty of options to make the defense pay.

If Freeman becomes a dominant scorer, Bell, Starling and Lampkin will be even better.

Our team ceiling closely follows Freeman's ceiling.

We have a bunch of guys who are going to be good, but they are either unknown or "within the flow of the offense" scorers.

Bell can't penetrate well enough to get the ball in isolation, Lampkin isn't an automatic basket the way you want a center in the post, and Starling picks his spots instead of being a deadly isolation guy. The rest of the team just aren't that level of scorers, although somebody might surprise us during their career (I'm thinking Moore might become great over time.)

My hope is that Freeman becomes that go to guy. He'll be able to either torture a smaller guy in the post, or take a big guy out to the perimeter and go around or shoot over him. If Freeman is an automatic double team, we have plenty of options to make the defense pay.

If Freeman becomes a dominant scorer, Bell, Starling and Lampkin will be even better.

Starling will make that leap to alpha scorer this year. I’m pretty confident he’ll be talked about as first team All - ACC by February

In one of the best case scenarios, Freeman will need to be the guy who you want to have that can attack the matchup advantage he will frequently get as teams will want to avoid Bell getting clean looks, avoid Eddie having an easy guy to beat in the post and not letting JJ having driving lanes.

He may not be the leading or even third leading scorer but he should be the guy who as the year goes on and you need the go to player in the final few minutes, he can win that matchup and get those harder buckets or draw fouls. That or can find the open man near the rim or kick it out.

JJ needs to be the guy who can use his speed to get to the rim or hit that pull up jump shot for those late game scenarios. Even if he is better and capable as a facilitator for stretches, in the late game you want a Carlos or Westry making plays in a half court setting as a facilitator and JJ and Donnie playing those key roles while everyone else supports them or is more an opportunist/recipient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom