Rovell giving it to Rutgers | Syracusefan.com

Rovell giving it to Rutgers

Yeah, just noticed those. Because I'm generally a bitter and spiteful person, I'm really enjoying his work.

Please post - can't read these at work.

No one realizes that this whole "NYC Market" includes a big portion of New Jersey. If there was a way to quarantine Jersey from the Boroughs, there would be no evidence that RU has the most fans in NYC, they're all in NJ polluting the "NYC Market"

darren rovell@darrenrovell
Rutgers is 9-1. Why does the New York Times use an AP game story? Why don’t they have a writer or stringer in Cincinnati for game?

Expand
13m darren rovell@darrenrovell
Rutgers football program has done very well. So why does the NY Times put the game story of them going to 9-1 on page 9 of sports section?

Expand
16m darren rovell@darrenrovell
Amount of time ESPN Radio in NY spent talking about 9-1 Rutgers from 4:10pm to 5:30pm today? Less than 1 minute.

Expand

He might be right but it does not matter. They are Big X bound and its finances just got a helluva lot better.

Yep, and good for them. Nothing we could do about them being located in New Jersey. They were born on third base.

If the ACC hangs together I don't think it'll really matter much to us. We'll still battle for recruits, win some and lose some, like always.

the one thing that most other schools don't have that SU does have, is the ability to make a killing off of basketball. it might not make up the difference between ACC money and B1G money, but it's something for SU to hang its hat on

the one thing that most other schools don't have that SU does have, is the ability to make a killing off of basketball. it might not make up the difference between ACC money and B1G money, but it's something for SU to hang its hat on
God bless the Dome and our 20k+ crowds and 6 or 7 dollar beers. Hell, half of our budget is probably paid for via hops and suds.

The Times doesn't cover college football. It's an afterthought to them.

Yep, and good for them. Nothing we could do about them being located in New Jersey. They were born on third base.

If the ACC hangs together I don't think it'll really matter much to us. We'll still battle for recruits, win some and lose some, like always.

Perfect way to put it.

The Times doesn't cover college football. It's an afterthought to them.

Unless it's the Ivy League. Harvard /Yale game report was half a page yesterday.

What the hell, let rutty have their day in the sun because the world going to end in about a month anyways.

It's all about TV sets for the Big Ten network regardless if they're watching Rutgers or a not.

This cracked me up. Hate rovell

@StevePoliti: They didn't have a Giants beat writer until recently, either. RT @darrenrovell: Rutgers is 9-1. Why does the NY Times use an AP game story?

He might be right but it does not matter. They are Big X bound and its finances just got a helluva lot better.
This^^^
Im much more worried about Md and what it might mean for the ACC going forward.
Rutgers can rot for all I care.

Rutgers will rot in the B1G. They will not keep up with the big boys and with their history and dedication to football being what it is, they will be the Indiana/Illinois in the east.

Their recruiting will be hurt severely when they go head to head with Penn State and the NJ elite recruits will have offers from half the B1G, as well as many other schools.

As to their TV power, that has been discussed ad nauseum. I still have not heard of the gangs and hoards of people in NYC sporting Rutgers gear.

Rutgers will rot in the B1G. They will not keep up with the big boys and with their history and dedication to football being what it is, they will be the Indiana/Illinois in the east.

Their recruiting will be hurt severely when they go head to head with Penn State and the NJ elite recruits will have offers from half the B1G, as well as many other schools.

As to their TV power, that has been discussed ad nauseum. I still have not heard of the gangs and hoards of people in NYC sporting Rutgers gear.

They'll have a 5 year head start vis-a-vis PSU with the sanctions, and they already get a fair share of the top NJ recruits. How could it get worse?

PSU will still draw whomever they like, as well as the B1G big boys seeking some new territory to recruit. Do you really believe a 4 or 5 star recruit will not consider PSU, Nebraska, Ohio State or Michigan (and possibly a few other schools) above Rutgers? With Syracuse playing well again, they are already losing the NYC recruits they counted on. As to the 5 years, it is a loss of 10 scholarships for four years and a max of 65 scholarship players for the four years. PSU will still have enough clout to recruit and maintain a decent team and once they have served their penalty, they will be right back at it, all they need is to maintain a decent coach.

However, if you like to believe that Rutgers is a powerhouse (based on the scheduling practices they are nowhere near that status) and they will out-recruit their new B1G brethren, Syracuse, Pitt and a few other schools, then by all means, believe so.

My hate for MD now is 10x what it ever was for Rutgers.

I understand your sentiments, but I hate neither team. They are doing exactly what we had to do, survive. Maryland sold their soul for a Big East retread coach, cannot draw a crowd and cannot win games, taking the money is the easy way out of their mess.

As mentioned in the ESPN article:

"I can't fault Maryland and Rutgers in this one. It's been a decade since the Terrapins have been truly relevant in a revenue sport. It's been -- well, basically forever -- for the Scarlet Knights."

PSU will still draw whomever they like, as well as the B1G big boys seeking some new territory to recruit. Do you really believe a 4 or 5 star recruit will not consider PSU, Nebraska, Ohio State or Michigan (and possibly a few other schools) above Rutgers? With Syracuse playing well again, they are already losing the NYC recruits they counted on. As to the 5 years, it is a loss of 10 scholarships for four years and a max of 65 scholarship players for the four years. PSU will still have enough clout to recruit and maintain a decent team and once they have served their penalty, they will be right back at it, all they need is to maintain a decent coach.

However, if you like to believe that Rutgers is a powerhouse (based on the scheduling practices they are nowhere near that status) and they will out-recruit their new B1G brethren, Syracuse, Pitt and a few other schools, then by all means, believe so.

So I'm clear, you think their recruiting will get WORSE by moving from the status quo to the Big 10? Ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom