RPI | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

RPI

Still 61 in BPI. Also, when you look at who is above us in BPI it is telling there is a bias. You have teams like Iowa (7-6) and PSU (10-3 with a BPI SOS in the 200s) ahead of SU. Sure that will adjust in conference play but it's still pretty wacky as we are almost now through the non conf slate.
KP and BPI are still heavily factoring in their preseason projections, whereas RPI does not. It’s best to check back after a few conference games have been played

The knife that finished us was going 8-5 against a subpar OOC schedule strength, Going 0-3 against Georgetown, St. John's and UConn.

And having historically bad road/neutral wins for a bubble team. So let's add losing at BC in the equation,

It's not the RPI that did us in last year.
At the end of the day, we did not deserve to get in the NCAA last year. It was an up and down season filled with frustrations. The exact opposite from the year before when we ended up in the Final Four after barely making the cut. There is a lot of runway left in this season but so far it feels good plus this team still has some upside where last year's team never got out of first gear.

We are well ahead of pace of last year (if we can take care of Buffalo and St. Bonnies)

While we don't have a signature victory:
1) We could only have 1 loss instead of 5 losses, against what projects to be a much better OOC SOS. Not sure if our schedule was that much better, but that is the SOS for you.
2) We have 2 road and neutral victories already... same total as all of last year.

This is just a stunning fact when it's in black and white like this.

It's hard for me to get a handle on where we are right now, tournament wise. We are definitely ahead of where we were a year ago at this time; we murdered our chances and in hindsight it's really impressive we were able to get back into the thick of the conversation.

I guess our best win is a squeaker at home against Maryland, they're ok, but nothing special. We do have a few wins away from the dome, that's helped, but I guess the best we can say about the OOC, resume wise, is that we haven't shot ourselves in the foot.

KP and BPI are still heavily factoring in their preseason projections, whereas RPI does not. It’s best to check back after a few conference games have been played

I remember KenPom saying in the past everything was generally connected after 8 games (or was that Sagarin?) . Must have been Sagarin, because I will just look at one team (Arizona St) that is totally out of whack on KP based on their results (not only W/L, but also margins). I don't remember things taking this long to normalize in the past.

With 2 nonconference wins away from home if we go 12-1 in nonconference play then go 9-9 in conference play and we should be in.
Making the tournament with this team is all we can ask for.

With 2 nonconference wins away from home if we go 12-1 in nonconference play then go 9-9 in conference play and we should be in.
Making the tournament with this team is all we can ask for.

Yeah for sure, I said before the season I would consider making the tournament a successful season and I haven't seen anything to make me significantly change that.

9-9 is what KP projects right now, I think we caught some breaks with the scheduling. Per KP, the worst team in the conference, by far, is Pitt (I know, I know); we get them twice. Georgia Tech second worst, we get them on the road, so a chance to get a win there. BC and NC state are basically tied, we get BC twice, and NC State at home. We do have UVA twice, Duke on the road, obviously there are going to be a bunch of tough games in this league, but I think we can get to 9-9? Maybe even 10-8. Also having a softer schedule may allow us to get a favorable conf tournament matchup?

We have 6 games KP projects our win% in the 45-55% range (actually 44-56%, cut me some slack)

Home Va Tech 12/31
At Wake 1/3
home ND 1/6
at Ga Tech 1/31
At BC 2/28
home clemson 3/3

Astute readers will notice this includes our first 3 games, and our last 2. Go 4-2 here, and I gotta think they can find their way to 9 wins.

I love the RPI discussion before January. It is nice to know that there are certain constants in the universe. I really miss the annual should we hire Mike Hopkins or do a national search debate.

This is just a stunning fact when it's in black and white like this.

It's hard for me to get a handle on where we are right now, tournament wise. We are definitely ahead of where we were a year ago at this time; we murdered our chances and in hindsight it's really impressive we were able to get back into the thick of the conversation.

I guess our best win is a squeaker at home against Maryland, they're ok, but nothing special. We do have a few wins away from the dome, that's helped, but I guess the best we can say about the OOC, resume wise, is that we haven't shot ourselves in the foot.
It really is amazing we almost got in. We were on our way to 0-18 and the first losing record for Boeheim.

After watching a couple of Kansas games, after our game with them, I feel worse about that loss now than I did when the game ended.

We were off..Graham was on. At the time I didn't think we had much of a chance to win that game. Now I think we've got a chance to beat them. I feel bad about that loss.

Was just looking at the RPI and Syracuse is the only team in the top 50 not to have played a game against a team rated below 200. Of course thanks to Syracuse, Georgetown climbed below 200 after playing us. Heck of a turn around from some of the teams we played in the past. Bonnies rated at 50 and E Michigan mid 150 to 200. Lets Go Orange and keep up the winning ways.

Was just looking at the RPI and Syracuse is the only team in the top 50 not to have played a game against a team rated below 200. Of course thanks to Syracuse, Georgetown climbed below 200 after playing us. Heck of a turn around from some of the teams we played in the past. Bonnies rated at 50 and E Michigan mid 150 to 200. Lets Go Orange and keep up the winning ways.

I am not sure if we intentionally did it, or just worked out well in our favour this year. It wasn't an easy schedule. but it was not a murderer's row either. But as you say, when you avoid the really bad matchups and get many 50-150 games on your schedule at home the RPI will not work against you.

The committee has de-emphasized RPI.
It is very easy to manipulate.
While having a good one is nice it doesn’t help at all.

Too bad. Those engineers at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute are pretty smart. They ought to pay attention to their opinions.

After watching a couple of Kansas games, after our game with them, I feel worse about that loss now than I did when the game ended.

We were off..Graham was on. At the time I didn't think we had much of a chance to win that game. Now I think we've got a chance to beat them. I feel bad about that loss.
We wouldn’t fare any better if we still let graham do his thing.

Patrick's learning a few lessons.

When the camera caught him after Dolezaj flew across the court to undercut a Hoya, only to have that inept Michael Stevens call a charge, Ewing looked like a guy longing for the predictable officiating of the NBA.
I think your description of that play is a but over the top dramatic. While MD was sliding, he was already there and I think the call was due to the gtown player leaning in and initiating the contract. Clark Kellogg was incredulous at the call but his explanation was based on the old rules.

I think your description of that play is a but over the top dramatic. While MD was sliding, he was already there and I think the call was due to the gtown player leaning in and initiating the contract. Clark Kellogg was incredulous at the call but his explanation was based on the old rules.

Yeah, "undercut" is a little unfair, especially with all the wild play we've seen in the early part of the season.

But I'm behind that observation in the broader sense. No way that was legal guarding position. I wish we'd see charges called more often when the ballhandler initiates contact, but my perception was that the guy had a clear path to the hoop and Dolezaj moved forward and left into him. I agreed with Clark.

Coincidentally, Dolezaj did an excellent job of moving his feet before the ballhandler against Buffalo and got called for an absurd blocking foul. There's a lot to gripe about with the block/charge.