RUFF | Syracusefan.com

RUFF

Ish88888

All American
Let's be careful we dont do to Ruff what the yankees did to Joba years back. This kid was a stud mlb when signed, 6'1, #230 and perfect for our tampa 2. We ask him to gain 30# and play DE with depth being an issue. Totally understandable, but you dont need to be a college coach for 20 years to know this kid doesnt have the frame to be a tight end. Either this is a sign that our true frosh defensive ends look great in camp and/or its dino cross training in case if injury. I dont get it with DE being a critical piece to this tampa 2 defense. Hell, if he has great feet, put 20-30 more pounds on him and make him a defensive tackle!

ahh-ruff-just-the-way-your-mother-likes-it-trebek-thumb.jpg

remember Ruff was big before he got to SU. He came in at 250 plus. At that height, thats too much weight for MLB these days. Prototype MLB in the tampa 2 is a guy that is long and athletic. 6'2, 6'3 240 that can run, bend and cover deep down the middle. I dont see Ruff doing that every down. I have to be honest, when I saw Ruff in his uniform during the spring, I immediately thought he should get moved inside. He would be a athletic DT. I have no idea what Dino is planning with him for TE but its sounds like some of the other freshman DE's have already caught up and past him at the DE position.

remember Ruff was big before he got to SU. He came in at 250 plus. At that height, thats too much weight for MLB these days. Prototype MLB in the tampa 2 is a guy that is long and athletic. 6'2, 6'3 240 that can run, bend and cover deep down the middle. I dont see Ruff doing that every down. I have to be honest, when I saw Ruff in his uniform during the spring, I immediately thought he should get moved inside. He would be a athletic DT. I have no idea what Dino is planning with him for TE but its sounds like some of the other freshman DE's have already caught up and past him at the DE position.

He was 230-240 when he arrived, could have easily stayed at 230 and played the Mike. We need big backers! He was pushed to over 250 by the coaches when our dl vanished.

Its documented, he put on 20+ to play DE. would have been a beast at mlb.

He was 230-240 when he arrived, could have easily stayed at 230 and played the Mike. We need big backers! He was pushed to over 250 by the coaches when our dl vanished.
When he got here in January he was 260 plus. I vividly remember it because I was shocked when I read it.

When I saw his HS film. I instantly thought he would struggle playing MLB in the ACC. He looked 240 on film. He also played DE in HS too. He was heavy when he arrived. The staff saw that and immediately moved him to DE. Plus it was a position of need. I agree we need big backers. We got some coming in. Walton and Armstrong is 6'2. We have Trotter, Fagan and Richards coming in. That's 6'3 ,6'2 and 6'3. They are all coming in at 215, great frames to add weight to, while maintaing their speed and agility. It doesnt normally work the other way. Ruff would have to lose weight and get faster. Much harder to do in a 6'1 260 pound body.

How could he gain that much weight? I didn't think Hicks was running S&C anymore Popcorn and soda

When I saw his HS film. I instantly thought he would struggle playing MLB in the ACC. He looked 240 on film. He also played DE in HS too. He was heavy when he arrived. The staff saw that and immediately moved him to DE. Plus it was a position of need. I agree we need big backers. We got some coming in. Walton and Armstrong is 6'2. We have Trotter, Fagan and Richards coming in. That's 6'3 ,6'2 and 6'3. They are all coming in at 215, great frames to add weight to, while maintaing their speed and agility. It doesnt normally work the other way. Ruff would have to lose weight and get faster. Much harder to do in a 6'1 260 pound body.

Miami did this for years. Took HS safeties and made the backers. HS backers became DEs. And DEs became DTs.

Miami did this for years. Took HS safeties and made the backers. HS backers became DEs. And DEs became DTs.
yup, teams like UM and FSU did it back then. Now everyone does it. Today's LB's are athletes. They were RB's and WR's in HS. Corner's are now playing safety. Safeties are OLB's now, OLB's are now playing MLB, MLB's are DE's and DE's are now playing DT. Teams have no choice now. All these teams are spreading you out. You have to be able to run and tackle in space.

With the encouragement of Ed Orgeron, we did the same thing.

He doesn't move well enough to play MLB -- unless he plays it on only running downs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom