Rumor: Skaneateles team suspended, no game tomorrow... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor: Skaneateles team suspended, no game tomorrow...

I use to say the only thing good in that town is Rosalie's, now that sucks too. Who cares about Skaneateles and their Class C Football program, everyone involved over there should be embarrased and ashamed of their conduct.. get a ******* life all of them, you reap what you sow..

Rosalie's? Really? Far better restaurants in town during their entire time they've been open, from Joelle's to Doug's to the happiness of a Borodino pancake (OK, Borodino is not technically in the village; call it a suburb of Skaneateles). You can call foul on the whole fiasco surrounding the World Famous Morriss's Grill; that place was perfect for anyone.

Hey, just going on what was stated in the official investigation and in the stories filed by Donnie Webb and John O'Brien.
Well, then. I'm going to slowly walk away from this thread. :p

This whole thing reminds me of what Jon Stewart said about Cain's electric border fence comments the other night - that it's like a teenager trying to hit on a girl ("We should make out...Nahhh, I'm just jokin'...unless you think we should make out").

Un-named Skaneateles Coach: Hey, nice job at camp, you should transfer to Skaneateles and play for us next season. We could set you up in an apartment.

Out of Town Player: No thanks.

Un-named Skaneateles Coach: Ahh, I was just jokin'. But the apartment has a big screen TV and an X-Box.

This is horse ****. Anyone who is remotely knowledgeable about the hiring of Green as head coach knows that there were a certain number of people in the Skan district that did NOT want Green to be the head coach. Period. He only won the position by a single vote. There are people out there who don't like that his son is the starting QB. What an ironic situation it is that he is on the verge of leading the team to a possible shot at a state championship and this BS review by the school comes back to bite him. What coincidental timing?!

As far as I can tell, there is no concrete proof that anything happened being tied to Green or his coaches. The radio show on 97.7 yesterday was digging into this issue and came to the same conclusion. No hard evidence, just circumstantial and a lot of finger pointing.

Bottom line: Appears that some rich daddy's don't like that their sons aren't playing under Green and want Green out. Sounds plausible to me.

Resentment, means, and being used to getting your way.

Always a bad combination.

there is a lot more,plus it was their second violation in two years.

green put himself on the pedestal,and now the local kids who played by the rules suffer.

there was 4 kids who violated the rules,not one like the skinny report stated.

section 3 took that report and threw it in the garbage.

the mike hart rule,an unwritten one, was in play here.and the investigation it is still not over

4 kids that violated rules, isn't it four kids that transfered in? Or does transfering in automatically equal violation.

And I'm sure these kids had to be recruited to go play for Tim and his staff. Why is it assumed that these kids had to be recruited? Isn't it just as likely that these kids wanted to play there and did what they needed to do to meet eligibility rules.

The whole story I heard about the recruitment "pitch" came right out of an episode of Friday Night Lights.

Why shame on the Section 3 admins? Those are the rules. If the kids and their parents, many who knew what was going on, were so concerned they should have blown in the coaches from day 1. They didn't because they wanted to benefit from the fruits of cheating for themselves also. That makes them complicit. The only shame that should be given out is on Tim.
That's all well and good and I agree with you. But why now? This has been going on for 30 years in Section 3 (all over the place for that matter). This is pretty light compared to Texas, California, etc.

44cuse

I have no dog in this fight. But it must have been pretty bad for this to be the result. You can't allow cheating. But to punish all of the kids is brutal.

What about the kids on the teams that this manufactured team beat? I feel bad for them just as much. Its a shame that kids are affected by Green's actions, but it goes both ways. Green's career as a football coach is equal to his success as a politician. Seriously, nothing this guy has done in recent memory portrays him in a positive light.

quid-pro-quo... as soon as i saw who hired he was stacking the deck. does Watertown IHC have this kind of access.

HE BROUGHT SHAME ONTO THE SKANEATLAS COMMUNITY

he immediatly got a supreme court judge who use to live on my street to overturn the decision.

You guys TRULY need to get a life! Standard practice everywhere else. Our local H.S. Fball team in the Boston area is kicking booty and headed to the year end superbowl with out of area kids. Go Tim!

well, one of the kids gave a bogus addresss,others were followed...ect...ect..hotels
tyler rouse was a big equation here.think about it.

i'll tell you more at the tailgait.this ain't over

tyler rouse was a big equation, what does that mean?

kids giving addresses that they don't necessarially reside at happens all the time, for all sorts of reasons. and who would care enough to find out where kids reside. and it still doesn't mean any of them were "recruited". Isn't it just as likely that these players said I would love to play ball for you, and were told what the minimum requirements were to make it happen.

I heard one guy who said he had two kids in the program, and his bitching had everything to do with not liking that Doctor lost his job and the way Tim was conducting the program. Too many coaches, the staff is mean and yells and swears at the players.

If anyone listened to 97.7 just before 6pm, the parent of one of the so-called "recruits" called the show and told them exactly how the "investigators" came to his apartment and not once asked the question "did coach Green or anyone affiliated with the Skaneateles program recruit you to come and play?". He said that he had just bought a brand new flat screen and had his son's XBox hooked up to the TV. That was what the investigator seemed to make a big deal about, as he referenced it over and over again. So he believes that is where the "apartment with toys" reference came from. He also stated that teachers at the school said things to his son about "oh, you must be here to play football" and "what's your 40 time?". He believes these comments were made, in part, because he his son is black and Skaneateles is a predominantly white school. (not sure I agree with that, but just relating what he said). I think he was trying to explain how his son stood out and it was automatically assumed by everyone that he was there for football.

His view of this investigation is that it was driven by bias, racial and otherwise, and politics within the district. He made the situation sound more like a witch hunt than a real, honest investigation. The fact that they would not disclose names makes everything suspicious. People want Green out. Some never wanted him in. According to the facts discussed on the radio show, not one of the kids who are playing on the varsity squad are ineligible. That in and of itself should have been enough for the School and Section officials to rule in favor of the team. If there is a rogue coach, then go after him...but do it AFTER the season. Don't penalize the kids.

If this ultimately boils down to school district politics or finger pointing from other districts, shame on them. If the allegations are true and there is a rogue coach, then boot him. Don't punish the kids.

You guys TRULY need to get a life! Standard practice everywhere else. Our local H.S. Fball team in the Boston area is kicking booty and headed to the year end superbowl with out of area kids. Go Tim!

Because something happens in other places doesn't make it right.

tyler rouse was a big equation, what does that mean?

kids giving addresses that they don't necessarially reside at happens all the time, for all sorts of reasons. and who would care enough to find out where kids reside. and it still doesn't mean any of them were "recruited". Isn't it just as likely that these players said I would love to play ball for you, and were told what the minimum requirements were to make it happen.

I heard one guy who said he had two kids in the program, and his bitching had everything to do with not liking that Doctor lost his job and the way Tim was conducting the program. Too many coaches, the staff is mean and yells and swears at the players.

a lot of kids said they were recruited at the camp. besides, there is a lot more to the story than has even come out. follow the money.

If nobody on this team's roster was "illegally recruited", then this team does not deserve to be punished. If Green or his coaches attempted to illegally recruit players who aren't on the roster of this team, then they need to be punished with fines or suspensions. Too often penalties are handed down to institutions without realizing or caring that the athletes directly effected may not have done anything wrong. It seems to send the emssage that to the ruling body, only the instituitons matter to them, not the kids.

NY State never wanted to be like Fla, Texas, or many of the southern HS football states in the way they treat HS athletics and I don't think that 99% of of NYS HS football coaches want it to become what other states have allowed what their state football programs have become. The PS articles have stated over and over that there has not been a history of penalties. I'm sure that TG is not getting much support from local HS football coaches with what he has done. ...and I truly don't believe this is jealousy from local coaches. For the most part, they have been running it pretty clean around here and that is the way they want to keep it. I do know some coaches and that is their position.

Retro44 is getting beat up for not supporting SEC type antics for local HS football...but he is right.

a lot of kids said they were recruited at the camp. besides, there is a lot more to the story than has even come out. follow the money.

The only rationale I can think of for being so blatant (who would even think of bringing in that many upperclass transfer recruits that start on a team in a single year?) is that he only planned to coach the team till his son graduated this year and his mission was accomplished. He had to know what a stink it would create especially when I read what a close board vote it was for the ouster of the old coach versus his hiring. He isn't dumb plus he is a lawyer so he had to know there would be repercussions from both within the town and outside of it. For his own reasons, it must have been more urgent for him to have as much control over his son's situation as he possibly could.

The only rationale I can think of for being so blatant (who would even think of bringing in that many upperclass transfer recruits that start on a team in a single year?) is that he only planned to coach the team till his son graduated this year and his mission was accomplished. He had to know what a stink it would create especially when I read what a close board vote it was for the ouster of the old coach versus his hiring. He isn't dumb plus he is a lawyer so he had to know there would be repercussions from both within the town and outside of it. For his own reasons, it must have been more urgent for him to have as much control over his son's situation as he possibly could.

What guys on the current roster were "illegally" recruited? Again, if the answer is zero, the team itself shouldn't be punsihed.

If nobody on this team's roster was "illegally recruited", then this team does not deserve to be punished. If Green or his coaches attempted to illegally recruit players who aren't on the roster of this team, then they need to be punished with fines or suspensions. Too often penalties are handed down to institutions without realizing or caring that the athletes directly effected may not have done anything wrong. It seems to send the emssage that to the ruling body, only the instituitons matter to them, not the kids.

water under the bridge now since tim hired a high powered lawyer who has friends in the right places, but a lot of the people knew what was going on and what was trying to be done. if they were so much against it, they should have spoken up then, not after it started to fall apart. they didn't because it was going to benefit their kids too. there are rules, they were broken, and punishment was applied (altho overturned today). it's how the system works.

tyler rouse was a big equation here.think about it.

You can't throw something like this out there without explaining it. The inference (intended or not) is that Rouse, a Baldwinsville player, is somehow involved in wrongdoing. You better make clear what you are saying...or at least retract the idea that something was done wrong. I have know Tyler for years and I would be a character witness for him, if needed.

I'm sure your reference didn't come out the way you intended. Are you suggesting Rouse was approached about going to Skaneateles? I don't know if that's true or not, but I'd hate to see the kid's name get besmirched by a vague reference like this.

a lot of kids said they were recruited at the camp.
Define "recruited".

Imagine:
  1. coach to kid at camp: "Hey, Johnny. You're a great WR. Do you have any friends in Skaneateles that can play like that? If so, we could really use him on our team."
  2. or: "Hey, Johnny. You've got some real talent. If you had a really good coach, like Coach Green, he might be able to help you develop your skills further so that you could get a D1 scholarship."
  3. or: "Hey, Johnny. You know, if you want to play for Coach Green and play for a winner we can probably help you make that happen. Have your father call Harry Jones if you're interested."
The latter would fall in the category of recruiting. How would you classify the first two? How would a kid hearing those classify them? How would their parents?

On another side note, iPhone 4s autocorrect also changes "Schiano" to "monkey face with no conference"
My iPhone autocorrect changes "Schiano" to "She-man-o"

big issue being missed here is Hockey. Yes many in the Skan community dont ever want to see anything happen that can take away from the Hockey program including Football becoming a dominant sport. Did Tim stretch the rules i have to think so does it warrant this much venom no. Look at who is causing the rucus and you will see Hockey support all over it. Tim is a good guy bleeds orange and has done wonders for many people hope he gets a break

for selfish reasons I hope Skinny gets the book thrown at them.

My alma mater does not cheat and has a chance at facing Skinny in the finals. That is if they can get past Here-come-here today.

It's crazy how all these HS teams are able to score 40+ points on a regular basis these days. Getting into the 20s was a big deal back in the day.

Good lord -- things in Syracuse are slow these days. Lots of rumor mongering being posted. This happens in Pittsburgh at every single HS. The WPAIL is a free for all. As Bees said doesn't make it right, but at the same point is it front page news? Come on. Honestly, this sounds a lot more like sour grapes BS than anything else.

Define "recruited".

Imagine:
  1. coach to kid at camp: "Hey, Johnny. You're a great WR. Do you have any friends in Skaneateles that can play like that? If so, we could really use him on our team."
  2. or: "Hey, Johnny. You've got some real talent. If you had a really good coach, like Coach Green, he might be able to help you develop your skills further so that you could get a D1 scholarship."
  3. or: "Hey, Johnny. You know, if you want to play for Coach Green and play for a winner we can probably help you make that happen. Have your father call Harry Jones if you're interested."
The latter would fall in the category of recruiting. How would you classify the first two? How would a kid hearing those classify them? How would their parents?

New York state athletic association rules prohibit anyone connected with a school from recruiting a student to transfer for the purpose of participating in sports.
I think that puts all 3 in the prohibited area. We know this kind of stuff happens all over in other parts of the country, but I don't think NYS or Section III wants to see this get out of control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom