Rumor | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor

Wvu is gone regardless of whether the Big East wants to keep them for the 27 month period. There is no chance they will be back. The only game they really want to keep on the schedule out of all the Big East teams is Pitt anyways so it's not like Luck cares if he burns their bridge to the Big East. Pitt will still want them on their schedule too

Don't be so sure that Pitt wants to keep WVU. If the ACC goes to a 9 game schedule, there may not be room for WVU. Pitt will want to continue playing ND on an annual basis and then there is the annual baby seal clubbing. That only leaves one OOC game, and I don't see Pitt playing WVU with that slot. Look for Pitt to play ND annually, the rent-a-win annually and then random home & home series with PSU (already scheduled for 2016-2017) and other BCS-level programs. Maybe Pitt plays WVU on a 1 for 1 basis once in a while, but I would be surprised if it continues as an annual game.

The Pitt fan base, for the most part, doesn't really care if Pitt plays WVU. ADSP has acknowledged as much. The game is bigger to WVU than it is to us.

Just an FYI if they play football in the Big East they have to play all sports in the Big East. Once the school year starts (July 1st) that is your conference for the year. You can't start in one and finish in another.

Maybe they'll go Notre Dame and play football elsewhere but everything esle in the Big East?

Since SU and Pitt announced they were leaving first it would make sense that they were allowed to leave before WVU.

Thisis a different scenario in each case. San Diego State and Boise State are joining the Big East in football only and remaining members of their respective conference for everything else. Notre Dame is an independant in football and Big East for everything else.

Syracuse cannot leave the conference half way through. Syracuse is either out by July 1, 2012 or we wait a year and it starts all over again July 1, 2013. First of all it would mess with TV contracts as has been already stated. On top of that all the other stuff you don't think about (travel, insurance, breakout of tv contracts) would be effected. The reality is Syracuse, Pitt and WVU cannot switch conferences after the year has began.

Wouldnt having teams waiting to leave in conference and other new teams coming in have an impact on future TV negotiations? Gotta be hard to negotiate when noone really knows that you're selling.

The Big East or as I like to call it the "Big Cities that don't care about College Football Conference" will be selling the new version of the conference minus the three big schools for the TV deal. They are keeping us now because the other schools probably have similar deals where they cannot leave immediately. If the new can all join July 1st they probably would let us go, but since they are saying 2014 that is probably when we get to leave.

The Big East CANNOT let Pitt and SU out early and hold WVU for 27 months. The Big East has mitigated its damages by adding 5 new football members for 2013. Most likely SU is stuck in BMW for 1 more football year with Pitt and will be in the ACC July 1, 2013. WVU will be gone because they are going to fight till the bitter end because the Big 12 and SEC need WVU in the Big 12 next year so they can keep their TV contract which requires 10 teams AND the SEC can have 14 teams to have an easy schedule. Eventually all 5 MAJOR conferences Big 10, ACC, SEC, Big 12, and Pac-12 will have 9 game conference schedules and 3 OOC games. Which will make scheduling a lot easier for all those conferences, but the Big East can't let SU, and Pitt go early and say WVU your staying 27 months that would never be acceptable in the court of law.

I'm no lawyer, not even on TV, and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express so excuse me but can WV blatantly ignoring the exit clause they helped create be any more acceptable in a court of law?

Point is: we don't have many Olympic sports left at SU.
Women's hockey - I'm sure there's a big following for that somewhere.

TBF, probably as big, if not bigger, than swimming and gymnastics.

I am not sure what the bmw says on BB but I do know that there was an article stating that SU and Pitt would be included in the ACC BB scheduling talks in February 2012.
As for Olympic Sports, I really wish that SU would bring back Swim and Dive. The ACC has a beautiful new aquatic center to be used for their conference championships. In fact the center looks on track for holding the next Oympic time trials.
swimming programs are quite expensive and that was the reason for discontinuing that sport; when we need a football practice facility and are trying to raise money for that. The expense of building a venue that would allow us to be competitive was cost prohibitive. That was what Dr. Gross said at the time.

swimming programs are quite expensive and that was the reason for discontinuing that sport; when we need a football practice facility and are trying to raise money for that. The expense of building a venue that would allow us to be competitive was cost prohibitive. That was what Dr. Gross said at the time.
Yes, unfortunately that is the same reason that Clemson has eliminated their sim program. No money to upgrade the swim facilities. I guess the only Orange I will be routing for in swim will be Princeton.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom