Run game last night | Syracusefan.com

Run game last night

Cuse House

All American
I thought we ran well between the 20’s and should have kept it on the ground more, early in series. Neal and Adams were getting 4-5 yards per carry. Obviously once we got in the red zone we could not run with the packed box. Think we abandoned the run too early, and the early down passes (and sacks) put us in 2nd and long too often. The run yards are skewed from the sacks.

I thought we ran well between the 20’s and should have kept it on the ground more, early in series. Neal and Adams were getting 4-5 yards per carry. Obviously once we got in the red zone we could not run with the packed box. Think we abandoned the run too early, and the early down passes (and sacks) put us in 2nd and long too often. The run yards are skewed from the sacks.
Neal and Adams 54 yards 23 carries 2.3
Wasn’t working not even a littke

we had a bunch of 3- 5yd runs but very few real holes. the issue is when the D is playing run defense we gain zero

Thought the 1st half running was better. Think they knew when it was coming in the 2nd half when it was much worse.

Many of their carries were red zone carries though with a stacked box. Not saying anything bad about TD. He was under duress all game. Think we could have helped him more though with a little more diversity in the play calling. In the first half in particular, I saw some hard 4-5 yard runs. Once we abandoned the run completely they just blitzed the crap out of us.

Side question, how much autonomy does Tommy have to change plays at the LOS?

Does anyone have a clue why we did not go to the two back set in the first half for a series to give the Clemson defense a different look.

Also the two passes to Neal picked up big chunks of yardage (when Clemson blitzed) and then it was shelved for the rest of the game.

the oline needs to talk better.. one of the sacks the DE ran a stunt around 3 Lineman came clean up the middle when there was no one else on the dline to block..

It would be interesting to know do we not have any slide schemes, but when the send 4-5 and 2-3 of them get beat the QB is gonna be in trouble..

Best d line and linebackers in the ACC? Lets run up the middle until we’re down 40

Something interesting I noticed, the offense seemed to run better with TD under center.

Many of their carries were red zone carries though with a stacked box. Not saying anything bad about TD. He was under duress all game. Think we could have helped him more though with a little more diversity in the play calling. In the first half in particular, I saw some hard 4-5 yard runs. Once we abandoned the run completely they just blitzed the crap out of us.

Side question, how much autonomy does Tommy have to change plays at the LOS?
Oh his Qb coach was begging for creativity
But what I’ve found is after film I usually stand corrected. In other words there’s usually a reason that we aren’t privy to . But again
We didn’t have a run over 6 yards
And last week not one over 10 That’s not good

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. I would like to see him be able to change things pre snap. Saw a bunch of times where I thought the play call was terrible for the defensive alignment. Run directly into a blitz, etc, etc. Hopefully they loosen things up for him.

TD needs to read and recognize blitz and make quicker and more informed choices. maybe with some time.
but that don't help us this year.

this thread may have more posts than we had net rushing yards last night
and much like our rushing yardage most of the posts are negative !

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom