Rustproof a New Car? | Syracusefan.com

Rustproof a New Car?

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
I bought a new car two weeks ago. Dealer charges $700 to have it rustproofed. Now I know we live in an area of the country where salt is used on the roads by the ton, but wouldn’t regular car washes throughout the winter once the temp goes above freezing be as effective?

Have folks rustproofed their cars, and how much of a difference does it make?

I bought a new car two weeks ago. Dealer charges $700 to have it rustproofed. Now I know we live in an area of the country where salt is used on the roads by the ton, but wouldn’t regular car washes throughout the winter once the temp goes above freezing be as effective?

Have folks rustproofed their cars, and how much of a difference does it make?
A good friend of mine moved to Syracuse years ago and got rust proofing from Rusty Jones. Guaranteed for life. Every year he had to take it in for an inspection

He got the inspection every year. The car got rusty and every year they would fix the rust. Eventually Rusty Jones bought the car from him to stop the annual repairs.

Bottom line, rust proofings don’t really work but, if you get it don’t miss an inspection

My 14 year old car is getting a few rust spots from never having been in a garage in upstate New York winters. Badges of honor.

My 14 year old car is getting a few rust spots from never having been in a garage in upstate New York winters. Badges of honor.

I am not sure how true that it is, but a mechanic once told me that the worst thing you can do with a car in the winter is to keep it in a garage.

scammers is all they are..the dealers that is. When I lived in Phoenix metro area I leased a Nissan Altima. LEASED...not bought.

cheezy Jerry Lundergaard style salesman tried to sell me this sealant called "the desert protection package" which would somehow prevent my car from falling pray to the trials of desert living.

I told him to walk into the ocean which was like hours away at rocky point.

He told me that "they're going to ding you" on returning the car at lease end if I didnt purchase the package.

I told him I'd take my chances. Fast forward to a few months before my lease was up. I take the car to Car Max, they offer me more money for the car than was left on the payoff... so I won...

hear that cheezy jerry lundergaard Nissan of Tempe wanna be salesman?

I'd say it's mostly a sham for some extra creme on top for dealerships. I usually just get a carwash once in a while I've had my '13 Regal GS for almost 5 years here and no rust yet.

The dealer is now only charging $400 due to price matching Ziebart. I’m going to do it.