Rutgers and Maryland Get Skeptical Big Ten Welcome | Syracusefan.com

Rutgers and Maryland Get Skeptical Big Ten Welcome

bevosu

Hall of Fame
“What we believe is, by adding Maryland and Rutgers along with the half a million Big Ten alums that live in the northeast and the mid-Atlantic region, we can plant the flag and say, ‘This is Big Ten territory,’ ” the Big Ten Network president, Mark Silverman, said Monday.

“Over time,” he added, “I really feel there’s no other conference that could possibly capture the hearts and minds of that part of the country like we can.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/30/s...ule=Recommendation&src=rechp&WT.nav=RecEngine

“What we believe is, by adding Maryland and Rutgers along with the half a million Big Ten alums that live in the northeast and the mid-Atlantic region, we can plant the flag and say, ‘This is Big Ten territory,’ ” the Big Ten Network president, Mark Silverman, said Monday.

“Over time,” he added, “I really feel there’s no other conference that could possibly capture the hearts and minds of that part of the country like we can.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/30/sports/ncaafootball/rutgers-and-maryland-get-skeptical-big-ten-welcome.html?mabReward=RI:11&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&region=CColumn&module=Recommendation&src=rechp&WT.nav=RecEngine

Those schools can't even capture the hearts and minds of their own locals.

I live 8 miles from the Maryland campus and I rarely see anything about Maryland football, or even hear anyone talk about it.

"half a million Big Ten alums that live in the northeast and the mid-Atlantic region".

Hey way to go Mr B1G presidente!!!! There's only 41.2 million people in NY, NJ, and PA. That's about 1.2% of people being B1G alums, if of course you don't include the rest of the NE or the Mid Atlantic but he did so that number is even smaller. Way to punch your way in their guys. Can you all feel the B1G penetration into the NE? Oh wait, that's not the B1G, that's Sandusky doing the penetrating.

View the Freudian slip:

"The conference, which added Penn State in 1990 and Nebraska in 2010, was motivated primarily by business when it extended the universities invitations two years ago. In the great game of conference realignment, both the Southeastern Conference and the A.C.C. had encroached on Big Ten territory with their additions of Missouri to the SEC and Pittsburgh to the A.C.C. Football-derived television revenue — through bowl games, an ESPN deal and its own channel, the Big Ten Network — had taken on even greater importance to the conference. Rutgers and Maryland offered it entree to some of the country’s most lucrative media markets, ones with a dearth of excellent football but no shortage of fans and, specifically, Big Ten alumni."

Obviously the B1G had no claim on NY because Syracuse would have been an encroachment B1G territory if they had the alleged claim on NY. Thus, they freely admit that the B1G has no claim on NY or NYC. Oops. Morons.

How many of the half million B1G alumni are from Rutgers and Maryland?

I have to say, driving up Warburton Ave. in western Westchester County, there is Jeep with a Maryland decal on its back windshield. The car hasn't moved from that exact spot in over a year, but its got to count for something

My God, this incessant "plant a flag" stuff is such inane BS.

If Rutgers or Maryland is ever legitimately great in football then, yes, their home states will care about those programs. They'd care if they were in the Big Ten, ACC, Big East, AAC, NFC East or EPL.

The conference presence canard is idiotic.

Delaney and his minions constantly have to beat the drum about how this was such a brilliant strategic repositioning for the B1G because it's really a hubris fueled over reach which severely diminishes the conferences product and image.

Scooch said:
My God, this incessant "plant a flag" stuff is such inane BS. If Rutgers or Maryland is ever legitimately great in football then, yes, their home states will care about those programs. They'd care if they were in the Big Ten, ACC, Big East, AAC, NFC East or EPL. The conference presence canard is idiotic.

Exactly. The great B1G delusion is that by inclusion in their conference, they will automatically be relevant locally and nationally.

TheCusian said:
Exactly. The great B1G delusion is that by inclusion in their conference, they will automatically be relevant locally and nationally.

Correct. And the same applies to the ACC, honestly.

If Rutgers or Maryland is ever legitimately great in football then, yes, their home states will care about those programs. They'd care if they were in the Big Ten, ACC, Big East, AAC, NFC East or EPL.

If Maryland had ever been a consistent football power they would never have needed to leave the ACC. If Rutgers had been a decent all around athletic power the ACC would have taken them with Syracuse.

Delaney and his minions constantly have to beat the drum about how this was such a brilliant strategic repositioning for the B1G because it's really a hubris fueled over reach which severely diminishes the conferences product and image.

Tell a lie long enough and people will believe it. At least the tellers of the lie will.

Tell a lie long enough and people will believe it. At least the tellers of the lie will.
If the question was put to a vote of Big 10 ADs - Rutgers & Maryland or SU and Pitt - what combo would have been voted in? I doubt cable boxes would have carried the day.

I think these articles might be a glimpse into some Big 10's issues. They are losing not only population but it shocked me that only 10% of Michigan high school graduates even apply to U of Michigan. The big advantage of these huge land grant universities was the monopoly and instant loyalty they had with their in-state students. Now taxpayers of these mid western states are subsidizing more and more out of state and international students to fill their classes and their coffers with the added tuition. Thought it was interesting. Penn St has 30% of their students from out of state. Ohio State is at 12%. Appears many of these public universities are becoming more hybrid between being private and public institutions. What implications does this have in the actions they have been taking in trying to downplay their midwestern brand and branch out to new potential students in the east?

http://www.annarbor.com/news/university-of-michigan-sees-increase-in-out-of-state-students/

http://www.collegexpress.com/lists/...of-state-students-at-public-universities/360/

If the question was put to a vote of Big 10 ADs - Rutgers & Maryland or SU and Pitt - what combo would have been voted in? I doubt cable boxes would have carried the day.

Respectfully, I think cable boxes would have carried the day had it been the issue a few years ago. Syracuse offers the State of New York and has as much or more pull in NYC as Rutgers. Point being, there are many more people and cable boxes in NY State, than NJ and MD combined. Pitt was icing on the cake. No question they lost out on the brand name, history and just plain respect.

It is probable that the the B1G figured Syracuse and Pitt would be there when they got around to expanding again. Once they lost out, Delaney needed some excuse to bring in Rutgers and Maryland and thus we have the "cable boxes" excuse.

Scooch said:

For sure. We've learned that firsthand. But it's a much better place to fight for respect from; it will take actual wins. P5 conference affiliation makes the road to relevancy less steep compared to UCONN, for example.

Rutgers and Maryland both have poor athletic dept. and money issues.

0107ed46652274bdcf62652829e572d43fd14b1e0b16d6c273bb503901dc77d1.jpg

I think these articles might be a glimpse into some Big 10's issues. They are losing not only population but it shocked me that only 10% of Michigan high school graduates even apply to U of Michigan. The big advantage of these huge land grant universities was the monopoly and instant loyalty they had with their in-state students. Now taxpayers of these mid western states are subsidizing more and more out of state and international students to fill their classes and their coffers with the added tuition. Thought it was interesting. Penn St has 30% of their students from out of state. Ohio State is at 12%. Appears many of these public universities are becoming more hybrid between being private and public institutions. What implications does this have in the actions they have been taking in trying to downplay their midwestern brand and branch out to new potential students in the east?

http://www.annarbor.com/news/university-of-michigan-sees-increase-in-out-of-state-students/

http://www.collegexpress.com/lists/...of-state-students-at-public-universities/360/

The increases in out-of-state students at most universities is the driven by increased tuition they pay over in-state students as a way to make up for reductions in payments by their state governments. PSU has more than tOSU because PSU is a better school academically. No one will give international students financial aid, so they/their government have to pay the full freight. A lot of schools would argue they're not subsidizing anything since they contribute so little to running the school. UVa (which usually maintains a 65/35 split) only receives 7% of its budget from the state government, a fact which lead the then-president of UVa to remark several years ago that, if Medicaid payments to their respective hospitals are included, Wake Forest received more money from North Carolina than UVa received from Virginia. In the early 90s, then governor Wilder tried to confiscate the contributions that UVa alumni were giving to the school, which started a serious "Let's go private" Movement that's still around biding its time.

View the Freudian slip:

"The conference, which added Penn State in 1990 and Nebraska in 2010, was motivated primarily by business when it extended the universities invitations two years ago. In the great game of conference realignment, both the Southeastern Conference and the A.C.C. had encroached on Big Ten territory with their additions of Missouri to the SEC and Pittsburgh to the A.C.C. Football-derived television revenue — through bowl games, an ESPN deal and its own channel, the Big Ten Network — had taken on even greater importance to the conference. Rutgers and Maryland offered it entree to some of the country’s most lucrative media markets, ones with a dearth of excellent football but no shortage of fans and, specifically, Big Ten alumni."

Obviously the B1G had no claim on NY because Syracuse would have been an encroachment B1G territory if they had the alleged claim on NY. Thus, they freely admit that the B1G has no claim on NY or NYC. Oops. Morons.

How many of the half million B1G alumni are from Rutgers and Maryland?

Well, I think much more telling (and embarrassing) is the Big 10 acknowledging "the dearth of excellent football" in Maryland and New Jersey. Hahaha!

Scooch said:

I always laugh when I read that UConn to the B1G would out flank the ACC and hurt Syracuse or some other nonsense. This isn't Risk. People aren't going to stop caring about Syracuse because UConn plays football against Indiana and Purdue.

Well, in fairness, the idea is that proximity will create rivalry.

But rivalry also requires that teams be competitive with the others in their conference. This second part is where the B1G missed the mark.