Rutgers to B1G announcement? | Syracusefan.com

Rutgers to B1G announcement?

SUinNYC

2nd String
I keep reading that it's going to be announced on Tuesday. Has anything been set up yet?

They are still waiting for RutgersAl to complete the final draft.

Joint B10/rutgirls 2pm announcement

A grab Big Ten grab for cable subscribers irregardless of the unattractiveness of the schools being brought in.

Does it irk anyone else that RU landed on their feet?

No. It irks me that the Rutgers fans refuse to admit that the reason they're getting the invite has nothing to do with their athletics other than the fact that the do have an athletics department. If this was the doormat Rutgers football program from the past, they probably would still be getting an invite. The funny thing will be to see just how weak of an OOC schedule they can get in order to keep winning.

No. They landed on their feet financially so that they don't have to steal from the state, but it may or may not do anyting for their sports. At best, they will become a middle of the road B10 team. That's at best because they aren't going to become UM/OSU. But they could also become Indiana. Basketball, it does nothing and probably hurts them. The kids they recruit would rather be playing SU, SJU, etc than Iowa and Illinois.

All I know is Ruttie going to the B1G is bad news for Syracuse. They have facilities, they have the conference, they have the money and they have the recruiting grounds.

I'm not saying they are turning into the "USC of the East", but any thoughts of Ruttie remaining an irrelevant doormat just flew out the window...

I think it helps their football program a lot since it legitimizes it to potential recruits. If RU was still a football doormat, there is no way this move happens because they would never have garnered any notice in the NYC area at all.

Their other sports will probably be a mixed bag. Only time will tell.

While you may not like RU, if you don't think their football program can compete in the B1G, you either overrate B1G football or haven't been paying attention to RU. Schiano built a solid program and now that he is gone, they can actually achieve their potential. If you ask me who is more likely to play in a NC game in the next 10 years, SU or RU, my answer would not be SU.

I think it helps their football program a lot since it legitimizes it to potential recruits. If RU was still a football doormat, there is no way this move happens because they would never have garnered any notice in the NYC area at all.

Their other sports will probably be a mixed bag. Only time will tell.

While you may not like RU, if you don't think their football program can compete in the B1G, you either overrate B1G football or haven't been paying attention to RU. Schiano built a solid program and now that he is gone, they can actually achieve their potential. If you ask me who is more likely to play in a NC game in the next 10 years, SU or RU, my answer would not be SU.

I couldn't disagree more. Even if Rutgers was still a doormat, they would've gotten the invite. This move is 100% about real estate and what market their state university just happens to be located in. If Idaho State was located in NJ, they would've been extended the offer. I'm not saying Rutger's isn't a solid institution, but their athletics had absolutely nothing to do with this move, other than the fact that it has one that plays college football at the major level.

Do you honestly think that any B1G fan out there (even Penn St. fans) is excited at all that they'll be playing the Scarlet Knights on a routine basis? I doubt it! That's just keeping things real...

I wonder if there are any stipulations that require Rutgers to play a certain number of home, conference games at Giants Stadium or The Linc each year. Do you think Rutgers would say "no"?

I want to wait until all of the details come out before declaring a winner or loser.

All you need to know right now about Rutgers' NYC pull: Moving to the Big Ten, not even trending on Twitter in New York City. Big Ten isn't even trending in NYC. Plaxico is. Along with Elmo.

For those of you on the board that don't live in New Jersey, the state is split into 2. half of the state is NYC and half is Philly with the line being drawn about 30 minutes south of the RU campus. In my opinion, Rutgers doesn't draw from either city, the people who are Rutgers fans are mostly alumni. In NYC, people route for the Giants, Jets, Knicks instead of Rutgers and the same goes for the Philly area with the Eagles and Sixers. I think people are much more aware that they have had a decent team recently but they need to have 2-3 years in the top 25 to really get recognized.

Rutgers was born on second base. Through urban renewal and some street-level three card monty with their scheduling, they've were forced to third. Now their fanbase thinks they hit a triple to begin with that should've been a home run. Based on their history, the overall lack of fanbase and lack of state support, I think they'll see an initial surge and then backslide to their rightful place as a bottom feeder collecting revenue and contributing very little to the good of the order. After the first horde of Big 10 fans makes the trip to Piscataway for a game, they won't be back in the locust-like proportions they travel in to other B1G towns.

For those of you on the board that don't live in New Jersey, the state is split into 2. half of the state is NYC and half is Philly with the line being drawn about 30 minutes south of the RU campus. In my opinion, Rutgers doesn't draw from either city, the people who are Rutgers fans are mostly alumni. In NYC, people route for the Giants, Jets, Knicks instead of Rutgers and the same goes for the Philly area with the Eagles and Sixers. I think people are much more aware that they have had a decent team recently but they need to have 2-3 years in the top 25 to really get recognized.

Couldn't agree more being from Bergen county, even here there isn't much pride for Rutgers outside those who have went to the school.

They will be moving the michigan game - ohio state game and probably penn state games to meadowlands or yankee stadium -- will be road games for them

They will be moving the michigan game - ohio state game and probably penn state games to meadowlands or yankee stadium -- will be road games for them
So they're Indiana-east now. Reminds me of a less extreme version of IU moving a home game against PSU to Landover, MD.

No. It irks me that the Rutgers fans refuse to admit that the reason they're getting the invite has nothing to do with their athletics other than the fact that the do have an athletics department. If this was the doormat Rutgers football program from the past, they probably would still be getting an invite. The funny thing will be to see just how weak of an OOC schedule they can get in order to keep winning.

The reason for the invite is to give traditional BiG10 members Indiana (football) and Northwestern (Basketball) someone to beat.

You have to say that Rutgers, like it or not, is doing better on the field, off the field, in recruiting, and now on top of all that, in the money as well in the most stable conference in CFB. This is big trouble with local recruiting for the Cuse. Just when I thought we were turning a corner and maybe DM would get some much needed help on the recruiting trail, now we are going to have B1G coaches in NY, NJ and PA like they own it. This laughing stock of a program, in just 5 years landed better than anybody, including WV, Pitt or Syracuse. Now we wait and see what else happens, but you can guarantee nobody is worried about anything in the B1G.

I live in NJ - right smack dab in the middle of Northern NJ. A lot of people I know (non-alums of RU) have become Rutgers "fans" in the last few years with some of them even buying season tix. The move to the B1G is going to increase this number. A lot of people on here discount RUs "fans", but the fact is, their fandom has been trending upward for a couple of seasons. The success they have had, smoke and mirrors or not, is increasing the casual fans' interest. It pains me to say this, because I can't stand RU's fanbase, but they will not fade into the B1G and become another Minnesota (a team we can't seem to beat, btw) or Indiana. They are going to compete in the B1G, partly because the B1G isn't that strong, and partly because RU is a solid FB program that will improve by joining the B1G.

I think a lot of folks on this board are blinded by extreme dislike for all things Rutgers. We are going to have a hard time recruiting in NJ, not that we have been hitting the state hard lately anyway.

I hope I'm dead wrong about all of this and I will root hard for whoever is playing Rutgers every Saturday, but I don't think I am wrong in this instance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom