Ryan Braun Tests Positive | Syracusefan.com

Ryan Braun Tests Positive

DeGrozz

All American
I'm guessing he screwed himself through ignorance.

Front page of ESPN right now.

The thing you have to know about guys who test positive...they're never guilty. Its like that line from Shawshank..

everyone in here is innocent.

Two things jumped at me when I saw this scrawl across the ticker during the Cuse game...

1. If Ryan Braun did it, it's a bonehead move. I don't take nearly as strong a stance on steroids as most, but when the big names were doing it, it wasn't even against any baseball rules, and perhaps even encouraged by front offices. Now you know that a positive test will result in a 50-game suspension. Star players can't afford to leave their team hanging like that.

2. I wonder if this might end up being a silver lining situation. If memory serves, no player until now has tested positive for steroids during the prime of a hall-of-fame caliber career. The previous big names were caught after retirement, or in declining years, and thus all placed under this umbrella in which a career full of accomplishments never happened. Braun has the opportunity to show the world just how much variance actually exists. Steroids are bad for sports, and the penalty should be stiff, but the media, the fans, and the sport itself have been both naive and ignorant in regards to the past twenty years... perhaps we are about to get some answers, one way or another.

Two things jumped at me when I saw this scrawl across the ticker during the Cuse game...

1. If Ryan Braun did it, it's a bonehead move. I don't take nearly as strong a stance on steroids as most, but when the big names were doing it, it wasn't even against any baseball rules, and perhaps even encouraged by front offices. Now you know that a positive test will result in a 50-game suspension. Star players can't afford to leave their team hanging like that.

2. I wonder if this might end up being a silver lining situation. If memory serves, no player until now has tested positive for steroids during the prime of a hall-of-fame caliber career. The previous big names were caught after retirement, or in declining years, and thus all placed under this umbrella in which a career full of accomplishments never happened. Braun has the opportunity to show the world just how much variance actually exists. Steroids are bad for sports, and the penalty should be stiff, but the media, the fans, and the sport itself have been both naive and ignorant in regards to the past twenty years... perhaps we are about to get some answers, one way or another.

Great point.

I doubt Braun did actual anabolic steroids. He probaly got busted for taking something inconsequential that he didnt even realize was banned, but was likely not really an impactful substance. Its not something he should get a pass on though.

I doubt Braun did actual anabolic steroids. He probaly got busted for taking something inconsequential that he didnt even realize was banned, but was likely not really an impactful substance. Its not something he should get a pass on though.

Further reasoning why suspensions should be upheld, but should not desecrate an entire career. Whether a mistake in judgement or a mistake in not having full knowledge, like in anything else, once a punishment is served we should be able to move on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom