Ryan Nassib Contract | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ryan Nassib Contract

upperdeck said:
nfl also plays 10% of the games of some of the sports.

And makes 5X the revenue.

Basically, Nassib makes a good living watching film, wearing a headset and holding a clipboard. Pretty good gig and he is guaranteed a nice raise every year.

Not a bad scenario... one of the best jobs in America.

Nassib could be making comparable money on Wall Street if he chose to. I don't blame him for slummiung it in the NFL and not getting hit at all. Wall Street can be his retirement from football.

I dunno about that re: making comparable money on Wall St at this age if he chose to. Nassib interned in private banking...that usually takes a long while, determination (which he has, no doubt) to build a book of clients, and a couple of breaks to fall your way (like being able to invest for major clients; say NFL type guys or having family money up the wah-zoo). Its not like he was into i-banking, alternative asset management, hedge fund trading, etc.

Rocco said:
Basically, Nassib makes a good living watching film, wearing a headset and holding a clipboard. Pretty good gig and he is guaranteed a nice raise every year. Not a bad scenario... one of the best jobs in America.

Sure.

Or he could be a light hitting, reserve infielder, or 4th line forward, or backup to the backup shooting guard, and make 5 times as much.

Forget concussions, why anyone with pro level athletic ability plays football is beyond me. :)

The most violent and richest sport in the country has non-guaranteed contracts that are lower than every other major sport by a considerable margin.

It's silly to compare NFL players to everyday folks. Compared to MLB, NBA and NHL players the average salary levels are woeful.

Hell, I bet there are SEC players who take a pay cut when they're NFL rookies. ;)
There are a lot more players who play for fewer years. So they don't make as much as sports where everyone can play forever and you don't need as many people to fill a roster.

Sure.

Or he could be a light hitting, reserve infielder, or 4th line forward, or backup to the backup shooting guard, and make 5 times as much.

Forget concussions, why anyone with pro level athletic ability plays football is beyond me. :)

True, but in MLB he lives his life on the road for 2/3 of the year and has to play/watch 10x the games. Pretty easy tradeoff for me to stick with football. :)

I know half a million a year is a lot especially for people like us but imagine being in his shoes:

Agent gets a big cut
Always on the road so eating out at expensive places most likely
I'm sure being around other guys with lots of money makes it easier to spend
At least one permanent residence, in NYC
Donations to Syracuse

It adds up fast

well this is why we see all these guys try and play baseball 1st.

dave winfield
danny ainge
bo
deion
chris weinke
drew henson
brandon wheedon
joe mauer

and thats just off the top of my head

Ryan is a smart kid, I bet he is making many connections for his future career. He is one guy that I don't worry about "making it" after his playing career is over.

I know half a million a year is a lot especially for people like us but imagine being in his shoes:

Agent gets a big cut
Donations to Syracuse

It adds up fast

Per Diem and I am sure he rents.

dave winfield
danny ainge
bo
deion
chris weinke
drew henson
brandon wheedon
joe mauer

there is a lot of false hope in baseball too. minors are filled with guys that are broke. either you make it or you don't in the nfl, you don't languish for years. even practice squad guys do pretty well compared to bush league ballplayers. baseball has 50 million rounds in the draft

there is a lot of false hope in baseball too. minors are filled with guys that are broke. either you make it or you don't in the nfl, you don't languish for years. even practice squad guys do pretty well compared to bush league ballplayers. baseball has 50 million rounds in the draft
of course, its a pro sport and quite possibly the most difficult to get to.

its a tough call for sure, but it seems like football always comes in 2nd.

charlie ward was declared the best QB in NYC for over a decade based on nothing, but he never wouldve lasted that long in the NFL.

dave winfield
danny ainge
bo
deion
chris weinke
drew henson
brandon wheedon
joe mauer

I agree its more the other way...but don't forget about guys like Eric Decker and Jameis Winston (off the top of my head) who chose Football over Baseball. You can add Carl Crawford and Jeff Samardzija to your list.

There are a lot more players who play for fewer years. So they don't make as much as sports where everyone can play forever and you don't need as many people to fill a roster.

Doesn't matter all that much to the teams though, with a cap they know what their annual player expenses will be at most . NFL also has non-guaranteed contracts in the richest sport, by far. The NFL player's union is impotent.

The Giants might be willing to pay Ryan with his next contract, not necessarily because they see him as the future long term starting quarterback, but because although Eli has been very reliable, he is getting older, and if they like Ryan and how he has prepared and improved, they may give him a nice raise thinking that Eli inevitably will be more of an injury risk.

Maybe because there are almost as many jobs in the NFL as the other big 3 combined.

Sure.

I agree its more the other way...but don't forget about guys like Eric Decker and Jameis Winston (off the top of my head) who chose Football over Baseball. You can add Carl Crawford and Jeff Samardzija to your list.
Russell Wilson is another that opted for football.

Agent gets a big cut
Donations to Syracuse

It adds up fast
Agents get about 4%. Fixed rate per union.
They get per diem meal money.