Ryan Nassib needs to settle down | Syracusefan.com

Ryan Nassib needs to settle down

Very unimpressive...he has missed 4-5 wide open receivers on just flat out pathetic throws...

I really like Nassib. He has shown some toughness, he led SU to a bowl and then a bowl victory last year, his completion percentage is high and it seems like he is a great kid. I want him to continue for this team.

However...

(pause for effect)

Marrone has to give one of the backups at least some reps in practice as well as a few snaps during a game. Nassib seemed to miss many easy throws and had a 2nd sub-par game in a row. There is something going on here. Granted he had pressure on a few passes but the number of ankle passes or outright misses seemed out f step for a D-1 starting QB who has plenty of experience. If we don't see another QB get any sort of time, it must mean our backups are really not ready, which kinda scares me too.

Naseeb had his bad game (I thought) against RU. Now this is a serious trend and he is heading south fast. Had a big case of the Yips tonite and looked all out of sync. Not sure if it's a mental or physical thing, but it needs to get fixed fast.

the other thing that strikes me, aside from his inaccuracy or lack of touch on many passes, is that he does not have a runner's mentality. He is athletic enough to provide that component for the offense - but he just runs scared and has does not have pocket presence ... when to step up, or when to tuck and run.

Give him a few seconds of o-line protection and he would be fine. The o-line is horrible. The receiver don't have any time for separation and Nassib had to get ride of the ball. This isn't all on him.

He's a Panicky Pete. If there's even a hint of pressure, he turns into Tweek from South Park.
ssp65.gif

Nassib is average at best, after him the qb's must be terrible. How bout we pay a qb recruit to come here : )

I think he puts WAY too much pressure on himself and psyches himself out. Marrone has even mentioned that Ryan is his own harshest critic. Tough type of player to coach. Hope he learns to enjoy the game & his time at SU more and not take it so seriously.

I think he puts WAY too much pressure on himself and psyches himself out. Marrone has even mentioned that Ryan is his own harshest critic. Tough type of player to coach. Hope he learns to enjoy the game & his time at SU more and not take it so seriously.

well he makes passes tougher than he has to for one. over throws the open man in atleast every game once or twice. is wheel chair mobile.

Ryan has won alot more games than past qb's. He got us down the field once again for a game winning score. In his year and a half behind center he has one 12 games, which is 1 less than SU won in the previous 5 seasons. Is he Donovan?...absolutely not, but he does win games. I agree with many of you in that he does not look polished, nor like a big time D1 quaterback, but guess what?...he wins games. The Rutgers game is the only game that I can remember which Ryan really played like crap. Other than that, hes kept us in games and gave us an opportunity to win. I got Nassibs back and while it hasn't been pretty this year...were winning games

Actually the penalty kept the drive alive, and then Ant got us down the field.

(And I'm a Nassib apologist)

Yeah it would of been 3 and out if it wasnt for the penalty.

well he makes passes tougher than he has to for one. over throws the open man in atleast every game once or twice. is wheel chair mobile.

Yep. Been thinking the same thing. He's got plenty of arm, but it's like he gets the yips when he has to go downfield and puts too much on the ball. Can't figure out whether it's because of the lousy protection and he's not getting enough time to get set and make the throws or he's just flat-out inaccurate. Almost all of his throws are hurried, so I think that most of the problem stems from our porous OL. Someone said earlier that he probably holds the record for 1-yd. completions. :noidea:

The more he plays, the more he proves that he's reached his plateau. He throws bullet passes nearly every throw (completely unnecessary) and missed more than a handful of wide-open receivers throughout the entire game today.

It's sad that Coach Marrone has to settle with Ryan. Hopefully, we'll get some solid competition at the QB position by next year.

Give him a few seconds of o-line protection and he would be fine. The o-line is horrible. The receiver don't have any time for separation and Nassib had to get ride of the ball. This isn't all on him.

I'll give you that some of what has is because of his line. However, its not like this lien was at one level against Wake or USC and suddenly has fallen apart against a team like Tulane. There has been a drop in play and some of these throws are not to the level he was throwing earlier. I'll take a ball that sails when he is about to get hit in the mouth or a ball that falls short when he can't really step into a pass. But there were too many examples of missed chances last night for the staff to not at least address the situation and keep an open mind if there are better options.

Now if you want to talk about the OLine, that is a different story. This might be the biggest disappointment when you compare expectations versus actual performance this season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom